Advice on Humidifier - What water does everyone use?

static123

Hello

I have just introduced a Humidifier to my grow tent and its got through 4lt in one day, it holds 8lt. I don't want to keep buying distilled etc water as thats just not cost effective for me. The manual says that it can take distilled and cold boiled water so my plan was to used boiled water.

I am interested to no if this would be an ok practice or should I be thinking on filtering the boiled water as well.
what do you guys use with your humidifier's any advice would be greatly welcome :thumb:

As long as your tap water is pretty pure, you can boil it and it will be fine. If it has alot of sediment in it, then you should keep on using distilled.

Generally you only want to run your humidifier during the day as it's usually cooler and there's usually less ventilation going on, which helps keep the humidity up. So I would keep an eye on your humidity over a 24 hour period and see if maybe there is only a certain time of day that you need to run it. I'm sure it'll save you some water.

In the past, I have used a "Vics" brand vaporizer. Now I just place about a gallon of warm water in a 5 gallon bucket and set it in the tent. raises the humidity very quickly and lasts quite a while. When the RH starts to drop I add a bit more warm water. I also have one of those ultrasonic humidifiers but nothing seems to work as fast and as well, WITH NO MAINTENANCE, as the bucket of water. If the bucket alone won't do it, I hang a stretched out towel vertically from the ceiling with just the tip of it in the water. It wicks the water upward and exposes it to more surface area for higher evaporation rates. Plus this is cheaper and requires no electricity

Hi guys and thanks for you comments on this, I am still using boiled water and it is a pain, unfortunately at the moment the RH is low so it needs to be on 24/7 however as the plants get bigger I think the RH will go up naturally ? or am I thinking wrong here ? Thanks again :thumb:

Hi guys and thanks for you comments on this, I am still using boiled water and it is a pain, unfortunately at the moment the RH is low so it needs to be on 24/7 however as the plants get bigger I think the RH will go up naturally ? or am I thinking wrong here ? Thanks again :thumb:

That is correct. As they bet bigger the amount of humidity they contribute through transpiration will go up. I am growing tomatoes in the tent this winter. Hoping it will keep the humidity up.

Back
Top Bottom