Problem with calcium

jueyman

Have some plants in veg cycle they already have been 6 weeks on veg and when I was about to change to 12-12, I notice what I believe is calcium deficiency. I'm growing in organic soil and using leds.

Following some of the info in the forum I tried to foliar spray some water infused with dolomite. I don't see any change and new leaves are growing bad. I wonder how I know I fixed the problem without causing calcium toxicity. I prepared a tea with some dolomite that I'm waiting for the soil to get dry in order to add the tea. I took some ph readings and it was around 6.22 . Any advice in what I should do?

cal_def.jpg
mag_def_001.jpg

Thanks to all for replying. Regarding the advice from DeanB about adding fresh soil I didn't thought of that because I tought that I could damage the plant by doing that so is something I will think about it. To Schtiggy, I don't have cal mag, I add it a little of dolomite and did some foliar spray. I also have a tea waiting for the soil to get dry in order to add it. Here are some pics.
20161023_104336.jpg
20161023_104359.jpg
20161023_104412.jpg

After seeing these pics, I would say you diagnosed correctly.

I forgot to mention about your other reply, I did had problems with over watering when they were seedling I almost lost them but I change watering schedules and they recovered , they looked very healthy until this week when they started to showed those symptoms. I left some dolomite lime in a gallon of water for 5 days , I don;t know if it will be enough to fix the deficiency or if need to buy some cal mag or do the soil thing DeanB mentioned.

Also how I know I fixed the deficiency, do I need to wait for new leaves to notice any change?

I forgot to mention about your other reply, I did had problems with over watering when they were seedling I almost lost them but I change watering schedules and they recovered , they looked very healthy until this week when they started to showed those symptoms. I left some dolomite lime in a gallon of water for 5 days , I don;t know if it will be enough to fix the deficiency or if need to buy some cal mag or do the soil thing DeanB mentioned.

Also how I know I fixed the deficiency, do I need to wait for new leaves to notice any change?

Yeah, a good rule of thumb is this: Today's problem started last week so you won't see results until next week. You can try your mix, but make sure you give it about a week before trying anything else. And you are correct, with calcium you watch your new growth. If you fixed the problem they will go properly. If not, they will usually be worse.
As another method, you could try unsulphured black strap mollasses. I have had luck with this in the past and will be returning to it on my next grow. Mix about 2 tsp/gallon and add to soil, maybe every 3rd watering or so.
You may also want to start a journal.
let me know how this turns out if you could.

In the future, it may also be beneficial to fill the pot to the very top...even heaping over a little bit. It is amazing how much abuse these plants will take and still give you a yield.

Thanks , the tea I'm preparing has mollases, so I'm glad you mentioned that. I will try the tea first and then wait to see if there are positive changes.

What you could do is pull the plant out and put in enough fresh soil to bring the plant up to the top of the container. Give them a couple weeks, which would bring them to 8 weeks, then flip to 12/12. The fresh soil should fix the problem.

Ok so I end doing the re plant thing and made them to the top of the container. I think I may have hurtthe roots a little, so I know I will patiently give them a couple weeks to see if I see some improvements.

So far this calcium problem is driving me crazy. I had 2 plants that wasn't showing calcium deficiency. But just in case I spray them with Calcium Carbonate and Epsom salt diluted in Ro water. 3 days have passed from that and they are now showing spots on the leaves. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but problem doesn't seem to get fixed. A friend told me to put them on flower but I don't feel like going to flower having deficiency issues on them.

I've tried doing the same thing before with spraying underside of the leaves with dolomite lime for calcium. I felt It was more of a mess and didn't work. Have you tried adding some dolomite lime to your next watering? Have you tried the molasses?

I added dolomite lime to the soil.In fact my soil is a mix and I added dolomite lime in the mix. I also bought Calcium Carbonate to diluted in water. And besides doing the foliar spray(that by the way was mess) I added to a tea and I also added molasses 2 watering ago so probably will do it in next watering. I think new leaves are not showing signs but the old leaves keep getting worse.

Back
Top Bottom