CFL grow - Should I switch 6500 to 2700 to encourage stretching?

klahsfhuwfhy

Should I grow with just a 2700 or keep going with 6500 for a few more weeks and see if it starts growing taller?

This is my first grow, the plant is an auto from a Dutch company green house seeds. It was germinated end of August and grow very very slowly outside for the first 2months. I knew next to nothing, and drowned the other seeds it came with.
Around a 2 weeks ago I started reading on here (thanks 420!) -and invested in cheap small tent to go in a cupboard, a CFL 150 watt 6500k, a small fan, and some decent soil (canna terra professional) perlite and some rhiztonic, calmag and soon going to replant into coir.
Anyway as you can see it's tiny! But trying to fit in new leafs everywhere. It just doesn't want to grow up! could be because of its slow tough start outside in cold England garden with little sunshine, it barely grew for weeks. or that once it came in I kept the 6500 really close.
Like I said I didn't know much till I read here and made the classic mistake of over watering, i repotted in 70/30 perlite soil mix and now wait 2 days between watering so she's nearly fully dry.
Yesterday I got a 2700 lamp I was going to use in I guessed a few weeks for flowering but I figured it could be used to to make it grow taller as I have read people warn against there sole use as they will force a plant to stretch which I think is what I want?!
I can't use both light as I currently only have one reflector/bulb holder, unless I I make something/ move things around and dangle the 6500 down vertically next to the plant to give it double action and to help my new seedlings and chillis (if they ever germinate)
I am aware ventilation is very important and next investment is an extraction fan. All the CFL grows seem to use multiple lights, I hope one or two max is going to be enough. I don't want to give up on the CFLs and move onto leds yet

CFL grow Should I switch 6500 to 2700 to encourage stretching?

420-magazine-mobile1043355820.jpg

I only have space for 2 lights so for veg il lower the 64 and put the 27 higher then when it's time for flower il lower the 27 and raise the 64. I put the stunted growth Down to the time it spent outside.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

CFL grow Should I switch 6500 to 2700 to encourage stretching?

Cool, yours are way smaller than the cfls I have. What are they? Mine are 150 watt, they take up loads of space considering my tent is only 50cm by 50cm and 100 high. Probably better to have smaller ones like yours to surround the plant at all angles. I have another reflector on the way so it can safely hold the light horizontally instead of dangling down.

Re: CFL grow Should I switch 6500 to 2700 to encourage stretching?

Hello,

Those are 13 watt cfls, perfect for seedlings because of whats shown in the pic. If you could get 2 in a clamp reflector you could run 2 bulbs per plant up until atleast the 4-5 nodes. Then upgrade the bulbs to 23 watt bulbs, or as you see fit. Much more efficient than a big CFL at this point in growth.

Good Luck!!!:thumb:

Re: CFL grow Should I switch 6500 to 2700 to encourage stretching?

Hello,

Those are 13 watt cfls, perfect for seedlings because of whats shown in the pic. If you could get 2 in a clamp reflector you could run 2 bulbs per plant up until atleast the 4-5 nodes. Then upgrade the bulbs to 23 watt bulbs, or as you see fit. Much more efficient than a big CFL at this point in growth.

Good Luck!!!:thumb:

Chef is close, these are 23 watt. In this pic you can see where I get my 2700 for veg as well. This is an end view of my veg "tunnel". The plant is what they usually look like at 28 days. Mine usually go under LED at 3-4 weeks for flower.

IMG_019747.JPG
IMG_006484.JPG

Nice! What is a shelf from a fridge or something like that? Nice idea. I got both cfls set up now, 150 and a 125. Six random female seedlings and one disformed weird auto. It's an experiment to learn from. Hopefully get a little something from the auto, keep two or three of the strongest others are go from there. Probably end up getting led and definitely a stronger fan!

420-magazine-mobile209643309.jpg

I added a led (mars 2 hydro 400) but they refused to grow up! Ever seen such a short and bushy plant? Should I remove some leaves for airflow? I've just switched to 12/12

Back
Top Bottom