Bubba Kush - First Time Grow

buzzylite

Hey guys this is my first time growing. I picked up some Bubba Kush feminized seeds from CK. I decided to start with two. I started germination on/about October 3rd, I planted both of them a few days laters. As of right now I am using 3 30 watt Fluorescent tube lights but I just ordered a 300 watt LED one that should come very soon. The lights are on 24/0 because I feel the tubes aren't that strong.

I water when the soil gets dry, I haven't started nutrients yet because I bought seedling mix soil to start it off (the one for faster root growth). I realize I will have to probably go out and buy some new soil when I transplant. The temperature hangs around 71 and the humidity 55-60. I have a light fan running in the room too.

Also to note, one of the plants has a gimpy leaf because my partner decided to pull the seed casing off of the leaf. I hope this won't prove detrimental to yields.

I feel as if they are lagging because the light source wasn't that great. Is there anything I can change/do? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I am working on pics right now. I guess I'm technologically challenged because I can't figure out how to upload my pictures without going through a web page.

Re: Bubba Kush First Time Grow

IMG_230726.jpg
IMG_230630.jpg
IMG_230537.jpg
IMG_230424.jpg

Stripped pictures are of the plant on the right (Gimpy), normal pictures are of the plant on the left.

Looking good nothing to worry about.
Node spacing is short and they are healthy so no problems with the light.
Many start with CFL.

Sometimes you have to help get the helmet of.
First 2-3 weeks are slow as they mainly grow roots.
Start feeding now with 1/4 strength, seedling-mix has not to much in it to not burn young plants.

:thumb: They look perfectly healthy the gimpy leaf would of only slowed it down for the first few days now it should be smooth sailing.

IMG_231717.jpg
IMG_231620.jpg

UPDATE**

The plants became slightly (i think) rootbound. I thought this because the leaves started to get yellow spots and began drooping. I could also kinda see the roots at the bottom of the pots. I have been pretty light on the nutrients so I didn't think it could be nutrient burn. I transplanted them both immediately to larger pots. Do you guys think the plants can rebound quickly?

Honestly I 'm a bit disappointed with the growth lately. I'm on like veg week 3ish and they are both small. They have been under a new and stronger 300watt LED as well.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Longer light period doesn't make up for weak light. I'm not a fan of 24/0 under any circumstances.
The growth looks fine to me, although they look over-watered. You say you water when the soil gets dry. How do you determine that?
How big are the pots they are in? You didn't fill the pots with soil so they don't have a lot to work with.

So you recommend turning the lights off for a few hours each day then?

Also I forgot to mention this but i ran out of soil! So i wanted to make sure both got enough. I'm going to go to the store today for some more and probably larger pots. These are probably gallon pots at the most, they were the biggest i could find on hand.

As for the soil I stick a finger an inch deep or so. If it's dry then i water if still moist then i let it be. What made you think it was overwatered?

So you recommend turning the lights off for a few hours each day then?

Also I forgot to mention this but i ran out of soil! So i wanted to make sure both got enough. I'm going to go to the store today for some more and probably larger pots. These are probably gallon pots at the most, they were the biggest i could find on hand.

As for the soil I stick a finger an inch deep or so. If it's dry then i water if still moist then i let it be. What made you think it was overwatered?

I think 18/6 does a better job for the plants and saves you a little $$$ on the power bill. If you've grown before and looked at the plants just prior to (or during) lights out, you can see they do indeed rest. People need rest. Animals need rest. So do plants.

The posture of your plants make them look over watered. The "finger in the soil" trick does not work, IMO. The top couple of inches can be bone dry but the bottom can still easily be waterlogged. All containers have a perched water table. It hold a lot more moisture than the rest of the pot. Wet/dry cycles build bigger, stronger roots as they search out that water. Cannabis would much rather be dry than slightly too wet.

Alright thank you!

Also, do you have any Bubba Kush specific growing tips? It definitely seems like this isn't your first rodeo haha

Alright thank you!

Also, do you have any Bubba Kush specific growing tips? It definitely seems like this isn't your first rodeo haha

Sorry - no. That's one I haven't grown. Anything I have to offer will be more universal in nature.

What's up guys so I just picked up a bunch of Fox Farms Ocean Forest Potting Soil and I have a few questions:

1. I am using the seedling growth soil still, will it be possible to just transplant that soil onto the oceans forest? I read that there could be pH problems.

2. As pH, I still need to do my research on it but i bought a pH meter, pH up and pH down. Any advice for what I should try and get the pH to be? Anything helps.

I found some big containers that I'm sure will be large enough for the entirety of these plant's lives so I will be using those when I transplant next. I haven't watered in 2 days to dry out the plants a bit. I am using Dyna-Gro Grow right now mixed with pro-tekt, I haven't watered them with that gallon in probably a week. Should I be adding more nutrients at this stage? I was on 1/4 of recommended dosage.

Thanks!
IMG_231921.jpg
IMG_232020.jpg

PH for soil is 6,3 - 6,8 first mix all nutes in ph is the last to adjust.
1/4 to 1/2 strength nutes is ok now.

I think you still water to much with a gallon pot it will take over a week to get dry.
I would wait with uppot for a week or 2 look for roots coming out the drain holes.
A gallon is a lot for young plants I start with 1/4 gallon for 3-4 weeks than a gallon 2-3 weeks.
Final 3 to 7 gal a week or 2 before flip to bloom.

Keep cool first 2 - 3 weeks are slow and to much water slows down some more.
To me they look like a week behind but strong and healthy and nothing to worry about.

I measured the pH of the water and nutrient jug and they were both like 7.4. I've corrected it but I bet that could be the source of some of my problems.

Thanks for the reply!

I put my crop king bubba kush in a 5 gallon pot pretty early. But as mentioned earlier, I also was very very light on the water. Like no water for 2 weeks was my experience. Mine haven't grown tall, but are getting bushy after a month. I think that is the nature of the species. My experience shows that people are too eager to water and fertilize quickly and often. Let them really dry out, let them wilt a bit from lack of water, they will rebound really quickly. Then you will know how much water they need in your situation.

This girl sprouted Sept 13. Planted her in this pot Oct 4. This is a shot of her Nov 2.

Best of luck

I wrote leaf, but in fact it was only her root that sprouted Sept 13. Should of written emerged or something. First grow...

Update**

Hey folks, so both plants had roots poking out the drainholes in only a couple of days!! I transplanted to the biggest pots I had asap. I placed them in the Fox Farms Oceans Forest soil as well. I watered them with nutrients and went with the minimum recommended dosage.

The leaves at the bottom of the plants are withering away, showing discoloration, and dying. I suppose this is supposed to happen as the bigger leaves up top are stealing all the light! I also just topped both of them and with my all-eternal clumsiness cut off a baby branch too on one of the plants. Hopefully that just grows back or better yet splits too!

As for the pH, I checked the drainage of the plants and the pH was like 4.9! I immediately added some pH uped water and i haven't checked it since because I broke my pH meter and am still waiting for the new one.
If the soil's pH is still too low, should I continue to flush/add pH uped water to increase the pH of the soil? I feel as if that would be overwatering!

IMG_233919.jpg
IMG_233817.jpg
IMG_233718.jpg

Hey Buzzy!

Everything seems to look good. The seedling soil you used, did it come pre packed with nutrients? Im a hydro grower but from what I see following soil grows your PH run off should be around 6. 4.9 is WAY to low. This could be the cause of the problems youre seeing. When did you start feeding nutrients? Some strains are very picky on how much nutes you give them as well as when there ready to take it. Ive had some strains grow from over 3 weeks just on water. Any sooner and they lock out. Its definitely a learning curve when using new stains.

THe biggest thing to make sure you watch is over watering when there young. Some strains will take a wile to recover from it. Everything looks like its going good now tho :) Ill be watching :)

Hey Buzzy!

Everything seems to look good. The seedling soil you used, did it come pre packed with nutrients? Im a hydro grower but from what I see following soil grows your PH run off should be around 6. 4.9 is WAY to low. This could be the cause of the problems youre seeing. When did you start feeding nutrients? Some strains are very picky on how much nutes you give them as well as when there ready to take it. Ive had some strains grow from over 3 weeks just on water. Any sooner and they lock out. Its definitely a learning curve when using new stains.

THe biggest thing to make sure you watch is over watering when there young. Some strains will take a wile to recover from it. Everything looks like its going good now tho :) Ill be watching :)

The soil was packed with nutrients that are suppose to help with faster root growth. I ran out of that soil and have been using the FFOF. I haven't checked the soil pH on the new soil yet. I read from a bunch of sources that you should be extremely light on nutrients so honestly prior to uppotting into the big pots i added a very small amount of nutes once. Now since they are in huge pots and have a bunch of soil + the plants are growing pretty fast it seems now i have watered with nutes twice in the past 2 weeks both times using the lower strength and using the whole gallon on both plants.

Next time i water i'll try and get some runoff-- so i'll check then and let you know!

Hey guys,
So i've been watering about once a week and I've been putting in nutrients every time. I feel as if I water another time to supplement the nute-waterings the plants will become overwatered quickly. They look pretty stable in my opinion (lol), my only concern is that if you look at the top fan leaves on one of the plants you will see the ends folding down and in to a point. I looked it up and couldn't determine what it definitively was.

Also, a lot of the leaves in the "bush" of the plants have no hope of seeing the light because of the fan leaves and up dying. Can i remove these? I fear that it would stress the plant a little bit.

As always all advice is appreciated! Thanks!

IMG_236026.jpg
IMG_235921.jpg
IMG_235822.jpg
IMG_235722.jpg

Bump, I actually started flowering today. I have 5 gallon pots and got kinda concerned the plants would fill them out if I let them veg longer.
I'll get pics soon. Excited to see what phenos they show

Back
Top Bottom