New growth curling upward slightly - Pics included

umontrey

First timer right here but I've done my homework. Here's the rundown:

2 chemdawg (supreme seeds)
veg w/ 23w (100w equivalent) CFL w/ metal bulb reflectors. One 5000K and one 6500K bulb in each reflector, for each plant. 150w HPS will be added later.
Well water ph 6.8 and 45ppm
Temp: 75F RH: 65%
Organic Soil (vermiculite/perlite, sphagnum peat, KOW brand manure .5-.5-.5, Garden-tone, bone meal, blood meal, dolomite) aged for 60 days

seeds germinated Nov. 13 in water. The taproot only came out about 1/4" or less in two days and didn't get longer the following two days (I thought because they were pretty small seeds to begin with approximately 4mm wide). So on Nov. 18 I potted them in small (2 oz.?) plastic cups. Vermiculite/Perlite was my choice for the seedling medium. Within 24 hours under CFLs cotyledon emerged.

My choice for starting in vermiculite & perlite in 2 oz. cups was a conclusion about nutrients. I wanted to start the seeds without any nutrients for the first week until they were ready for water. At that point I didn't have a PPM meter so I was unsure about nutrient content for seedlings. The plan was to repot from the 2 oz cup - no nutrients - to an 18oz plastic cup with a weak nutrient medium for the plant to grow into. Taking a stab, I combined 1/2 vermiculite/perlite/peat mixture to 1/2 KOW brand cow manure rated at 0.5-0.5-0.5. The plan was to veg the plants in the 18oz plastic cups until flowering, or at least until they were able to handle being potted in 5 gallon smart pots with the full measure of nutrients in the soil I've been aging.

But as most newbies probably do, I got nervous that there wasn't enough nutrients in the KOW manure to feed them for 2 months, so I sprinkled a teaspoon of blood meal around the stem and lightly worked it into the topsoil, several days later I watered it in for the first time (first ten days I watered from the bottom so the starter pod could dry out and the roots could stretch toward the moisture) and I measured the pH from run off at 6.5 and 625ppm.

Now here's the result about 5 days later (2 weeks into veg):

20161202_094231.jpg
20161202_094426.jpg

As you can see the problem is only affecting 1 of 2 plants. However, even though the plant below isn't showing signs of distress, she is maturing more slowly than the plant pictured above.

20161202_094457.jpg
20161202_094713.jpg

Temps did spike last weekend, the max temp registered at 92F. Why I do not know. My thermometer is several centimeters below the leaves but generally stays 68-80F. I've also added a small fan to circulate the air, a cool mist humidifier in the adjoining room to boost the RH into the high 70% range, and I'll be starting up my inline fan soon.
So many factors to consider, but I'm feeling confident in my approach and I'm excited each day I learn something new.

Thanks for any advice and direction. I've learned a great deal from so many of you already. Your guidance is invaluable!

I have metal bulb reflectors around the fixtures. Could this trap heat near the tops of the plants? would I be better off removing the reflectors?

Back
Top Bottom