Help I am In a bit of a pickle

static123

Hello guys,

2 x CBD Critical mass 400w soil grow in a very small space. This is my second attempt at a scrog and I am 6 weeks in to veg and have had a few problems, there ok but by no means perfect however I am about to flip to 12 / 12 and I am finding it increasingly difficult to get them under the net and to have any form of organisation. I need to flip as I would say its about ready but I really don't think ill be able to get them down when they stretch. I have done some lollipoping and will do some more in a day or so, would it be advisable to tidy up some of the leaves at the canopy as its very dense at the moment?

Is this going to be a problem or do you lovely people think it will be ok? its a shame as I really wanted to fill all the space up, maybe next time.

Looking forward to your ideas and thoughts as always.

2016-12-08_19_41_16_HDR.jpg
2016-12-08_19_41_12-1.jpg

Hope you all have a great weekend,

Static

Your options are still open. I would cut out some of the limbs and leave a budding tip every 4" or thereabouts. If you want the screen to be filled however you'll have to let those plants grow taller until they can stretch out enough to reach and fill the front part of the screen. Part of your problem is you put the pots to one side of the screen instead of the middle. That's going to make it more awkward to fill the screen evenly. Definitely not impossible at all though.
Don't worry about trying to tuck the limbs under the screen. You can do that in the beginning but as time goes on the plant gets kind of stiff and it's not practical to make it work that way. It's far easier to just lay the limbs flat on top of the screen and hold them down with pipe cleaners. All it takes is a simple 180° crimp of the pipe cleaner to hold it to the screen, and to the branch stem.
I often supercrop a little to help the limb lay flat if it's reluctant. That means- crush it gently (or not so gently- whatever it takes) to soften it. Sometimes you have to roll your fingers back-and-forth and work on a short section of the stem until it's soft and pliable.
You can train a very large plant into a small screen all you have to do is keep on lashing it down as it stretches. I don't think there are many strains that cannot be controlled fairly easily in a scrog. All you have to do is be persistent. So if you really want that screen to be full just keep on growing the plant and tying it down until it's filled the space.
Here is a link to a thread where I posted an example of a plant I put into scrog when it was a bit too large for the screen. I do this regularly and don't have any trouble with them getting out of control. 1st time clone scrog! Looking for suggestions - Pics included
Hope this helps with your pickle.

Your options are still open. I would cut out some of the limbs and leave a budding tip every 4" or thereabouts. If you want the screen to be filled however you'll have to let those plants grow taller until they can stretch out enough to reach and fill the front part of the screen. Part of your problem is you put the pots to one side of the screen instead of the middle. That's going to make it more awkward to fill the screen evenly. Definitely not impossible at all though.
Don't worry about trying to tuck the limbs under the screen. You can do that in the beginning but as time goes on the plant gets kind of stiff and it's not practical to make it work that way. It's far easier to just lay the limbs flat on top of the screen and hold them down with pipe cleaners. All it takes is a simple 180° crimp of the pipe cleaner to hold it to the screen, and to the branch stem.
I often supercrop a little to help the limb lay flat if it's reluctant. That means- crush it gently (or not so gently- whatever it takes) to soften it. Sometimes you have to roll your fingers back-and-forth and work on a short section of the stem until it's soft and pliable.
You can train a very large plant into a small screen all you have to do is keep on lashing it down as it stretches. I don't think there are many strains that cannot be controlled fairly easily in a scrog. All you have to do is be persistent. So if you really want that screen to be full just keep on growing the plant and tying it down until it's filled the space.
Here is a link to a thread where I posted an example of a plant I put into scrog when it was a bit too large for the screen. I do this regularly and don't have any trouble with them getting out of control. 1st time clone scrog! Looking for suggestions - Pics included
Hope this helps with your pickle.
Hi and thanks for your advice, I set the pots at the back of the tent as i needed to keep some floor space at the front for the humidifier and a small oil heater for when its lights of, I am in the uk and the temps will probably drop soon altho ill have the lights of during the day time to help with that. Ill see if I can have a trim to get better air movement and it might help with getting them tied down but I am worried about losing some of the leaves, would this be a problem at all or is it safe to cut some away, again thanks for your help and apologies if this is a stupid question.

Not a stupid question. You can remove large amounts of plant material and it won't negatively affect the plant other than slowing it down for a few days. I would remove some limbs right down to the main stem to space the budsites more widely, as well as removing everything under the screen.
However- if you're trying to grow some limbs extra long to try and stretch out to fill the front of the screen- keep that in mind when you trim.

Not a stupid question. You can remove large amounts of plant material and it won't negatively affect the plant other than slowing it down for a few days. I would remove some limbs right down to the main stem to space the budsites more widely, as well as removing everything under the screen.
However- if you're trying to grow some limbs extra long to try and stretch out to fill the front of the screen- keep that in mind when you trim.

When you say limbs do you mean branches coming off with bud sites or just the leaves? there seems to be quite a few bud sites that will hopefully be good once flowing.

By limbs I basically mean branches. The smaller ones that are ending in the bud sites you see in the photo. You have many potential budding tips. Personally I try to thin them out so that they're more widely spaced. There's less congestion, the remaining ones grow bigger and are easier to trim, and I get the same amount of bud with less work and a healthier plant.

Back
Top Bottom