Phosphoric Acid

HillbillyBill

Howdy to all...
I am looking for some phosphoric acid and I do not want to pay for someone else to mix it and market it at an exorbitant price under the name of pH down. Can ANYONE tell me where I can get some phosphoric acid at a reasonable price?
Thanks much.
Bill

phosphoric acid is the main ingredient in concrete and metal etching solutions, and can be bought at any paint supply place.

I'm curious, what do you want it for? and what does it have to do with 420?

Thanks guys...
I think I will check out the paint supply stores first. I don't really feel up to doing the lab work at this point, but it may come down to that in the end if I can't find any at a reasonable price. I heard that it was used to clean the stainless steel dairy equipment on the dairy farms, but I still can't find the cleaning solution.
Thanks again and if anyone comes up with anything else, please let me know. I will be checking back here from time to time.
Bill

OK Moose...
I'll let you guys know what I find out. Actually, I may not be able to do any better than some of the large producers of pH down because they buy the acid by the tank car or by the truck tanker I imagine.
Later...
Bill

Eureka!!! (I think.)

A couple of months ago I heard of a dairy cleaning product called Monarch CIP Acid which was supposedely phosphoric acid based and used to clean stainless steel dairy farm products... milking machines, storage tanks, etc.
My search had been fruitless until yesterday when I ran across a similar product marketed by the Dairyland Brand as STEROSOL MILKSTONE REMOVER AND ACID RINSE. It most definitely is food grade and is non foaming. The main ingredient is Phosphoric Acid (75% solution) plus surfactants, dye, and water. The final percentages work out to 56.33% phosphoric acid and 43.67% of water, surfactants, and orange dye.
I found my Milkstone Remover at my local Tractor Supply Store (after doing a Google search). I even found some guys in the U.K. talking about it definitely being the cheapest way to buy phosphoric acid.
Soooo..... anyone want to guess the price for a gallon in the US?
$7.83 per GALLON! I got 2 gallons... this stuff cleans lime and hard water deposits off of your shower head, etc. Check your local farm supply store and ask for Milkstone Remover. You will be glad you did.
Thanks all...
Bill

I think he was implying that he'll use it to adjust the PH of a grow (PH Down).

I will be using the phosphoric acid as a pH down and as a shower head cleaner. It will need to be diluted before you use it as a cleaner, so be sure to read the directions on the bottle.
You guys who haven't handled acid a lot in the lab be careful when you go to dilute your solution. Remember, ALWAYS add the acid to water, NEVER add water to acid! You may lose your eyesight or worse if you do.
Be careful out there...
Bill

wouldn't a better cheap PH down be dry food grade citric acid no dyes and surfectants and other chemicals also it is listed as a foliar spray enhancer that enhances uptake of ffoliar nutrients like vitamin c does for commercial agriculture

my 2008 paper catalog from groworganic.com lists both

vitamin c -- 16.99 lb $
citric acid---2.49 lb $

i have a bag in my spice cupboard that i got at the local whole foods co-op in bulk but every thing on the label but the bold "citric acid " has faded so i don't know price but i think it waas comparable to grow organic's

i could see using phosphoric acid as PH down during bloom cycle but wouldn't that risk overfeeding problems from too much P if using a bloom formula for nutes

Citric Acid as a pH Down

Thanks for the input Zolar... Citric acid may actually be a great pH down, but I doubt it would do much good removing the lime from my shower head. lol
Just kidding!
Concerning the dye, I am not concerned about the dye because if it is used in a cleaning agent for milk machines, I doubt it is harmful... probably very similar to food coloring.
Concerning the surfactant... this may be a stretch but I would not be surprised if it actually helps the roots to absorb the nutrients better.
We'll see...
Thanks for the input... I will put that idea in my little old knowledge bank.
Take care...
Bill

Back
Top Bottom