1000W, 600W, or 2-3 400W

FreddyDeeb

Which would be the better option? Everything I read contradicts itself. Most things say that the 1000W is end-all be-all, but other comments say that its better to have the light spread out more evenly. Which would be better, 1 big 1000W, 600W or go with 2 or 3 400W. Currently I got a bunch of HPS security lights, 3 150W HPS and a 70 W MH. I'm going to use those 4 for my mothers and cuttings. The room I will flower in is roughly 8'x10' and roughly 7' tall. Any input would be helpful.

Well they say more lumens is better but you need to get those lumens to the plants. So if you intend on filling the 8 x 10 space with plants you'll need more than just a 1000w or a few 400's. I run 2 400's in roughly a 5 x 3 space and feel as though I could go up to a single 1000 or dual 600's. The more lights or more powerful you go the more heat you need to manage and the more your monthly expenses become as it relates to running more powerful fans and A/C not to mention the cost of running the light itself.

How may plants do you intend on growing? I don't think you can effectively put more than 4 under a 400 watt light without comprimising lumens. I just like to put the light as close as possible without burning the plants.

I remeasured(with actual tape measure, lol), and the actual bud room will be 6' 6" x 7' 4". The height is just under 7' at the low point of the beam. If the heat will be a problem with 1000W, then I see myself going with several 400W HPS. For the cost, I can get 3 400W at around $120 each. The 1000W is over $320 for the cheapest, and replacement bulbs are WAY more expensive than the 400W. The power output can also be managed easier with several sources instead of 1 big source
Just bought my 4 reservoirs(16 gall) from Walmart the other day for $5 each. Looks like 4 plants per container will be max, I was going to go for 6 5" net pots, but I feel they will be too close. I'm getting the hang of DWC, and notice the roots get enourmous and grow together. That's not the main problem though, it's the amount of water they guzzle(1 gallon a day for my 3 mom's) and gauging how much nutrients they actually take in. So it looks like 16 total plants in an area roughly 6.5' x 7' x 7'. So, looks like I'm going to start with 2 400w HPS and maybe get a third down the road. The 1000W is sexy, but cost, heat, replacement bulbs(store is 120 miles away), and energy consumption makes my chioce alot easier.

I remeasured(with actual tape measure, lol), and the actual bud room will be 6' 6" x 7' 4". The height is just under 7' at the low point of the beam. If the heat will be a problem with 1000W, then I see myself going with several 400W HPS. For the cost, I can get 3 400W at around $120 each. The 1000W is over $320 for the cheapest, and replacement bulbs are WAY more expensive than the 400W. The power output can also be managed easier with several sources instead of 1 big source
Just bought my 4 reservoirs(16 gall) from Walmart the other day for $5 each. Looks like 4 plants per container will be max, I was going to go for 6 5" net pots, but I feel they will be too close. I'm getting the hang of DWC, and notice the roots get enourmous and grow together. That's not the main problem though, it's the amount of water they guzzle(1 gallon a day for my 3 mom's) and gauging how much nutrients they actually take in. So it looks like 16 total plants in an area roughly 6.5' x 7' x 7'. So, looks like I'm going to start with 2 400w HPS and maybe get a third down the road. The 1000W is sexy, but cost, heat, replacement bulbs(store is 120 miles away), and energy consumption makes my chioce alot easier.

Cool. Good luck.

Wow, now I'm really torn. Just found this online.
High Tech Garden Supply
Only $240 for a 1000w!!!!! Gonna have to really think now. Anyone know if they are reliable brand? I don't know if I want to risk running that much power, but 2 of those would be SWEET!! I'll toke on it when I get home:smokin: Also, I'm having trouble visualizing just how big these lights are going to be. The 150w HPS security lights I have now are HUGE.

every grow book i have says..............you are way better of with multiple sources of light. ITS A FACT! 3 400 watt lights will put a 1000 to shame. dont take my word though, look into it. Im just telling you what my resources tell me... just passing it on peace 420-24-7-365

my 400's are good size. I don't think the reflector size changes much from a 400 to a 1000, i think they are universal. With more lights you can get closer to a smaller set of plants and shed more lumens then if you had fewer stronger lights and had to keep them at a further distance to cover everything in light. At least I think this to be true. I don't actually have a light meter and multiple size lights to test this, but it makes sense to me. More lights gives you flexibility too. While they are smaller you can group under 1 or 2 lights saving electricity until they bush out more and have to go under more lights.

Right now im running and 400 MH and was thinkikng of adding another but that seems like a lot of electricity to me for nooone to notice...but it seems yall are talkin about 1000 watts systems like its no big deal..normally how much would the power have to jump for ur electricty company to take interest???

Right now im running and 400 MH and was thinkikng of adding another but that seems like a lot of electricity to me for nooone to notice...but it seems yall are talkin about 1000 watts systems like its no big deal..normally how much would the power have to jump for ur electricty company to take interest???

Based on what my elec comp charges per KW hour 1 400w light at 12/12 cost me $32 a month so $64/mo with my 2 x 400's. A little more now for me since I'm on 18/6 with MH in veg. There is a formula for figuring it out on here somewhere. I don't think $100-150 increase a month is going to raise any eyebrows. The elec bill killed me one month with AC going full blast but I have addressed that I think and am waiting for the next bill to arrive to see if I could get it back down. I think I may keep my grows to the cooler months and let mother nature cool my grow room for free. I changed every single light bulb in my house (except for the one in my fridge and the grow lights) with a CFL. That was something like 29 light bulbs if I remember correctly. I am hoping that makes a little difference too.

I run two 400's a 140 cfm intake and a 465 exhaust two vortex fans up to 8 cfl's and I think we have jumped up around 80.00 a month. I just added a LED but don't think that will add much.. If the LED doesn't work I will get a 600... I like have multiple lights it lets me dial in distances in the differnet size plants... :peace:

I would start with dual 600 watt since they utilize the most out of the watt per lumen, and if your grow grows then add another light! many 600 is better than one single 1000 like someone posted earlier, leave yourself options multiple lights is much more versatile than a single light. you can always use cheap T5's for veg. then run your 600's HPS's for flowering and add more as you get the hang of cloning etc.

Just my thought.

I went up to HTG store to get my new light yesterday. I was planning on going with a few separate HTG 400W for $120 each, or maybe the Growbright 1000W for $240. Instead, I was told they are "ok" and "so-so". He pushed me to the digital ballasts, which I had already checked out($313). After deliberating for 20 minutes or so in my head, I said fuck it and went with the 1000W HPS digital electronic. Then the reflector came up. The basic one has no glass cover, the cheapest one with the glass bumped it to $348, or go with the latch glass cover that's air cooled for $361. Again, I finally said screw it and went big.
1000w_ballast.jpg

Reflector1.jpg

Reflector_inside.jpg

I got hooked up because they were out of the regular bulb, and got the agromax bulb($100) at no extra charge
Agromax_Blulb.jpg

Assembled_blurred.jpg

The old setup..
Old_setup.jpg

The new..
All_3_moms.jpg

All in all, I'm very happy with it. It does put off an amazing amount of heat, and I'd suggest that anyone considering a 1000W, to get the glass covered reflector to reduce heat. After I got my Thrive-Alive, rock, ph down, net pots, etc I couldn't get everything I wanted(no Sugar Daddy or Magical til next trip). Grand total.....$470(it was $479, but all I had was 470, they said no problem), got a lighter and free Tshirt.:clap: I'm thinking of maybe starting a journal.:yummy:

Back
Top Bottom