Thread: Is there any way to get rid of mold/Fungus from Dried/Cured buds?

Is there any way to get rid of mold/Fungus from Dried/Cured buds?

I was given 6 - 8 ounces of weed by a person who grew it. When he had to harvest it because he had to move he pulled the plants and put them into garbage bags. over night a white mold/fungus started on some of the buds. He clipped all of the buds that he saw with the white spots on them and put them into glass mason jars. Now I own them.

Is there any way to clean the buds to get rid of the mold? I have the following questions:

1: Can i go through all the buds clipping out the white areas and then smoke what is left without causing myself or the people I smoke with any harm?

2: what about putting the buds in a microwave and nuking them for a couple of minutes on high? Will that get rid of the mold/spores by killing them or will that just kill the THC content?

3: What about saoking the buds in alcohol and then letting them dry so the alcohol will evaporate? Will that work or again will that just kille the bd all together?

4: should i attempt any of these or something else to try and get rid of the mold or just trash them?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Sorry if this post is a duplicate :(

Nug of the Month Winner BubbaKush's Avatar

Re: is there any way to get rid of mold/Fungus from Dried/Cured buds?

not worth it...it will make you sick. dont smoke it or give it to anyone...some would say to make tincture with it but i would discard it and call it a day.

what about water curing, ive heard it can do wonders for moldy buds but you lose all the flavor(no thc)

i dont know a ton about it but id look into if you want to attempt to keep your bud

Blog Entries

To be honest with you, you should not smoke it, no matter what. I agree if you are going to try to salvage the bud that a tincture would be the best bet, but I would suggest against it. Certain kinds of mold can scar your lungs.

Throw it away and live to smoke another day!

indeed....

i agree with bubbakush and cannalearna.

i have a friend who tried clipping the mold off some weed thinking it may be ok....he was in the hospital for a week.
    "I got, fat bags of skunk. I got, White Owl blunts, And I'm about to go get lifted, Yes I'm about to go get lifted"
    -Method Man

you might be able to make bubble hash out of it, but I've never done it so don't quote me on that
    Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future
    DGs first grow Northern Lights

dont do it......

Behind door # 4 is the answer.
    4: should i attempt any of these or something else to try and get rid of the mold or just trash them?

mold and fungus are never good news dont do it

I agree with all of the above, not worth risking your health.

This guy was good enough to grow 8 ounces and then he stuffs it into garbage bags without drying? Your buddy needs to become a member here and learn how to properly dry and cure his harvest so this doesn't happen again.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum- "If You Seek Peace, Prepare For War."

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by RooRman View Post
    I agree with all of the above, not worth risking your health.

This guy was good enough to grow 8 ounces and then he stuffs it into garbage bags without drying? Your buddy needs to become a member here and learn how to properly dry and cure his harvest so this doesn't happen again.
    Well put RooRman

Quote Originally Posted by Shazbham View Post
    I was given 6 - 8 ounces of weed by a person who grew it. When he had to harvest it because he had to move he pulled the plants and put them into garbage bags. over night a white mold/fungus started on some of the buds. He clipped all of the buds that he saw with the white spots on them and put them into glass mason jars. Now I own them.

Is there any way to clean the buds to get rid of the mold? I have the following questions:

1: Can i go through all the buds clipping out the white areas and then smoke what is left without causing myself or the people I smoke with any harm?

2: what about putting the buds in a microwave and nuking them for a couple of minutes on high? Will that get rid of the mold/spores by killing them or will that just kill the THC content?

3: What about saoking the buds in alcohol and then letting them dry so the alcohol will evaporate? Will that work or again will that just kille the bd all together?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Sorry if this post is a duplicate :(
    Use any of a number of extraction methods to make oil out of your benefaction. Most of these processes should kill any spores and just to cover all the bases, use it to make CannaButter and cook with it.

The heat should kill any nasty bastards that may have survived.

Personally, I'd just smoke the weed or at least use the oil in my vaporizer.

I get WAY too f**ked up when I get into the cookie jar! <BFG>

you can use oil in your vape?

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaKush View Post
    you can use oil in your vape?
    I can in mine. It's an old BC Vaporizer. Very low-tech. Has a heated cup under an inverted jam jar.