Thread: Can i use lemon juice to lower the ph of my soil?

Can i use lemon juice to lower the ph of my soil?

Hi, i am a first time grower and need some advice. i planted my baby about 5 days ago and has now sprouted. i want to ensure the ph level in my soil is correct. atm its is at about 7-8. i need to lower it obviously and was wondering if lemon juice or vinigar would do the job.?

Re: Can i use lemon juice to lower the ph of my soil?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard.cron View Post
    Hi, i am a first time grower and need some advice. i planted my baby about 5 days ago and has now sprouted. i want to ensure the ph level in my soil is correct. atm its is at about 7-8. i need to lower it obviously and was wondering if lemon juice or vinigar would do the job.?
    Vinegar works OK but evaporates very quickly causing Ph drift.

Lemon juice would be better but best is pH down which is made for this puprose. I hope you are using a digital pH meter.

No its not digital :-/ i need to invest in one. iv got a '3 in one' reader its fairly inaccurate so i got a second tester to back it up, its one of those which you mix a tester capsual with the soil and water and again it was reading on the alkaline side. But yes i will be getting a digital tester a.s.a.p. As its my first grow ill just use lemon juice this time and get the real deal when i gain a bit more expeiriance. thanks for the advice.

how much are digital ones? like for a decent one not something too cruddy, and where to buy?

Guys.. look for the PH 600 by milwaukee. Great dig pH meter for $21 USD. Just google it. Its yellow and black. Cant go wrong with it.

Thanks for the info, ive been looking for a cheap P.H. Tester.
    If It Aint Green... It Aint Me!!!

Thanks yes i think ill have to get one sounds good

Lemon juice dies work but also consider PH-UP and PH-DOWN solution. Carefully used it is most effective in hydroponic applications but works well if you are willing to take the time growing in soil as well. As a 60+ old indoor grower, I do quite a bit of experimentation and would not recommend anything I haven't tried.

I would not worry about your pH level growing in soil, unless you are seeing signs of nutrient deficiencies. Good soil like Pro-mix and B-cuzz is buffered to around 6.0 and good fertilizers like Canna Terra, B-cuzz, Advanced, or whatever will also be buffered around the same pH, so you're good with leaving it alone.

But yeah, lemons work.

Hi Guys,

I'm a first time grower and I'm using the Floraseries by General Hydroponics. I'm also using dozes recommended on the back of the bottles.

Reservoir size: 5 Gallons
    FloraGrow, Micro and Bloom: 12.5 ml each

My water was 180 ppm when I started and after adding the nutrients it is 324 ppm. I'm using the same scale as GH advises for its nutrients. (Conversion rate of 0.5)

My PH seems to be hovering around 7. I do not have access to PH Up or Down solutions.

Shouldn't the nutrient solution mix up to a PH of 6 when I've added the exact amounts mentioned?
    How do I decrease the ph?

Your help is much required and appreciated.