• Yes

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • No

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

Dunderfunk

I think I have found out how those tricky Asians several decades back managed to grow the best ( as reported by many people ) weed. I sat in deep thought for a while roaming my cranial realm when I thought of an awesome way to grow some dank buds that would get me higher then the sky. Then I realized that this may be how to grow some Thai Stick. That would be wonderful! So now I am coming here, to you, the general population of 420 Magazine to see if you agree that this could be the way to grow Thai Stick. Below in 3 easy steps I will show you how I think it was done.

1. Grow a Scrog for access to the bud's on top. Outdoors for my method will probably be best.
9590March_07_31_cin_scrog_2.jpg

2. Have hash ready. This part will probably work better if the hash is made from the same strain or a clone of the same plant. Oh yeah, a lot of hash might be needed, not sure because I have never done this, it is only an idea.

3. When buds are starting to look really nice apply hash to the buds ( I'm not sure how yet, you guys help me out ). EDIT: Maybe cannabutter would work?

Ok so here is how I think the Thai Stick buds were so potent. I think that when the plants were getting close to ready for harvest that hash would be applied to the buds and it would set in the sun melting the hash to the weed making for super potent product.

What do you think, could this be how they did it?

Quotes from member "Skysoldier"..... Thai sticks originated in Thailand, but they were also made in Vietnam.

I bought these Thai sticks in a small village called Bong Son, in the central highlands of Vietnam.

Back behind the bar was about an acre of rice paddies. They grew pot plants that were about six feet tall, stripping off the bottom until they had a tree full of buds on the top They had little catwalks in between the plants, made of bamboo.

When you ordered a stick, this little Vietnamese girl would take a sliver of bamboo about 1/8th of an inch thick and six inches long and walk out on the catwalk.

She would first go up to one plant, scrape the stem and pull off a long fiber of hemp.She would take the edge of the knife blade and scrape the six foot long fiber, then wrap it around the bottom of the stick.

She would then go through the field, picking the best buds and wrapping them to the stick an pulling them off. When she was done, she brought you back a stick of the best buds in the fucking world!

The sticks were wrapped so tight that if you dried them out, you could pull out the bamboo center and then smoke them....no papers needed.

Of course, as they burned, big buds would fall off and there was a lot of waste. But what the fuck, it was Vietnam and they only cost about a dollar in MPC. (Military Payment Certificates.....it was like play money!)

Now, what you have to realize is that back then, Thai sticks were of the quality of the best Diesel today. Most of the pot in the states back then was shit weed, and occasionally some good Acupulco Gold from Mexico.

Nobody back here had anything that good....they never heard of sensimilla!

It took American growers twenty years to grow anything as good as those Thai Sticks in 1971!

Hope that answers your question!

I know I'm talking about how they grew it, not prepared, although that was a good read. People said that this bud was abnormally strong. I'm not even sure if you read my post...

I doubt they sprinkled hash on top of the buds to increase potency. It was more than likely just a particular strain, or the fact that they've had a long time to perfect their growing techniques.

That being said, you should still follow through with your idea because hell...why not? All you can do is make the smoke better ;)

Well all that I can go off of is what I read or think, because I have no experience growing weed. Although it would help me a lot if someone could report to me what color the Thai Stick was.

I bought an oz of thai sticks, now that I think of it it must have been 1976 or 1977. There were 16 in the oz. They were the best buds I had ever smoked, never had anything quite like them since. They didn't seem to be dipped or treated in any way. They were dense buds mostly brownish w/ some gold in color. Maybe some red. It's been awhile, but I still remember them dearly. It was most likely an almost 100% sativa grown outdoors in the hot Thailand sun. Ah...there's the trick. lol

I also bought other "thai sticks" around the same time that were different - like somebody's interpretation of what Thai Sticks should be. Then I was buying "untied Thai", which was sinsemilla grown in northern California from Thai seeds. It was damn good, but piney and green. Nothing like the original.

Yeah,those short little "Thai" sticks started appearing from NorCal,about '78,Freak. I can't blame 'em,the bud we were growing back in the Appalachians was being sold all over the East Coast and Midwest as "Hawaiian" at the same time,LOL.

I saw my first fake pressed hash and weed Thai Stick about '74 and my 1st real one a year later.

The reason it was called Thai Stick isn't because of where it was grown.You ask most weed smoking Thai's of that time about Thai Stick and they didn't know what the Hell you were talking about. The reason it's called Thai Stick is it was shipped back to US via the large USAF bases in Thailand.

The actual stick itself was produced like the guy few posts above quoted Skysoldier as happening but I understand from old contacts that most of the stick that made it here in the mid-70' s was from Laos and Cambodia.

It was nothing but near seedless weed on a stick. Each stick was about 7 inches long and tied to the stick with hemp fiber. By the time the sticks got this far East they were very dry,I'd say the weight of the weed itself was a gram and half to two grams. A single stick of the true Thai Stick was 25 bucks. An ounce of 15-18 sticks was 180. That was price the last time they were last abundant here,late '76 or so.

You could still get them on rare occasions until about 1980. I had a buddy in the Merchant Marine that would pick a few up as gifts in Hong Kong. The last real one I saw was in '81 the last one in his stash.

There was nothing like it at the time. Two hits would put you down for four hours.

There were a couple of guys in the know on the old OG site that said the Trainwreck clones of that time,'04,were from seeds found in some Thai stick.

The few seeds I pulled out of mine never germed.

It's interesting how many types of designer weed have genetics that originally came through those airbases in Thailand. Cambodian,Laotian,Burmese,Thai,Vietnamese etc.....

Thank you to the Air Force.

Interesting. Southeast Asia...it's all good. The oz I bought was $165. Really exotic looking and smelling. Yes, very dry. My connection was 1 down from the dude that dealt in very large quantities; I'm sure that particular batch was authentic. The sticks were obviously from bricks. I had a few seeds saved, but time and poor storage took their toll.

I am of Laotian decent, and according to my Father and Uncle. They said they do dip it in some type of concoction. But it was not dipped for potency, but for flavor. i have not yet smoked it. But i am going there this year on my Christmas vacation. I cant wait to get my hands on some true thai stick. This would be my first trip back to Laos since i was a kid. I asked my uncle, who is still in laos, how much it cost there. he told me i could probably get a oz for 5 to 15 US dollars! Ima go on a splurge once i touchdown!!

I could be wrong on this FIRESTONE. but 25 dollars for a stick of it is outlandish. 25 dollars in LAOS goes a looooooooong way. my parents went to LAOS for a month and a half, and only ended up paying like 200 dollars on all their expenses, and they were splurging on my relatives. Laos is a very poor country. The Laos military soldier only gets paid 50 dollars a month. I think thats why the pharmacist that gave sky soldier the bud was so grateful, because he gave him so much. Also in Laos or thai since our languages are quite similar, we call weed SAH. so if you ever want to get weed there. just say "SAH."

hahah SKY; Regardless, 20 bucks for a stick is still a good price, Especially in the states. If only we had those prices where i live. Then again, thats why we grow! haha

It was 25 bucks a stick here in the States,Happy. They probably sold for 5 cents in Laos then. It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't dipped or sprayed with some to enhance the taste. I remember the sticks themselves having a sweet taste and a perfumey aroma.

There were a lot Thai students in the States in the '70's.(They were dodging their draft,lol...) You'd tell 'em about Thai Stick and they'd look at you like you were nuts. Those guys would have loose weed from Thailand now and then. It was around 50-60 bucks an oz and up there in quality with the top Colombian weeds of that era.

It had a much cleaner clearer high than the Colombian weeds. One of the better smokes I encountered in the 70's.

Sky,the that first fake "Thai Stick" I saw was tied with package string on what could have passed for now a bamboo BBQ skewer,LOL.

The guy was honest from the word go,he said "It ain't real Thai Stick,but it will fuck you up." He was right about that.

sure thing sky, im gonna need me a smoking buddy for the trip. first thing i want to do is get really baked, then go and try to catch one of those monster cat fish in the Mekong river. That would be AMAZING.

I am of Laotian decent, and according to my Father and Uncle. They said they do dip it in some type of concoction. But it was not dipped for potency, but for flavor. i have not yet smoked it. But i am going there this year on my Christmas vacation. I cant wait to get my hands on some true thai stick. This would be my first trip back to Laos since i was a kid. I asked my uncle, who is still in laos, how much it cost there. he told me i could probably get a oz for 5 to 15 US dollars! Ima go on a splurge once i touchdown!!

:byebye:Cool, can I go too?

$1600 from LAX to Laos. That's a lot of ganja...

Be careful with those Mekong catfish. They've been known eat the occasional child and small adults out for a swim in that part of the world. I can see the headlines now "Catfish Has Munchies,Eats Stoner."

BTW,are the Chinese still going ahead with their plans to build a dam on the Mekong just north of the border of Laos and Thailand? It's a damned shame if they are.

HAHA firestone! thats a awesome headline. Im not to sure about the whole dam thing. I would think that alot of villages in that area would hate to see that happen. FREAK NATURE, i got my ticket for just under a grand. i think its worth it because im planning to get a Buddhist tattoo from the head monk at my parents village temple. its gonna be the old school needle tapping style. i hear its painful. its supposedly wards of evil. well, it depends on which deities and script you get tattooed. im still trying to figure out what im trying to get.

well thay sure did not add hash in any form to the smoke in the 80's we had kilo's of this pot called chocelet thi and it got you high like a haze or trainwreak will a pure sativa strain from aisa how it got that candy flavor i dont know but it was the best.as far as thi stick gose that was just a way it was packeged and sold over sea's no one is going to smuggel pot to the u.s. and pay for the wheight of the stick's but this is just one stoners thought's

That stuff was the loose Thai weed I was talking about up the page. It was called "Buddha Weed" in this part of the country. Very good but not up there with the stick.

Dain you have to remember Thai Stick was coming in primarly during the Vietnam Era via military aircraft. Uncle Sam provided the shipping free.

Back
Top Bottom