US senate committee HB 714

free2blaze

I found this on another web site,

This Thursday: US Senate Committee To Debate Reevaluating The Drug War! | NORML Blog

in this write there is a link to send a message to your state senators,
this is a copy of the letter from that link,

"I am writing you today to urge your support for Senate Bill 714, The National Criminal Justice Commission Act of 2009.

Senate Bill 714 will establish a `National Criminal Justice Commission' to "undertake a comprehensive review of the criminal justice system ... and make reform recommendations for the President." I believe that this evaluation is sorely needed.

The United States has the highest reported incarceration rate in the world, imprisoning a higher percentage of its population than any other country. The American incarceration rate is five times the world's average incarceration rate. A total of 2,380,000 people are in prison.

The number of persons on probation and parole is equally alarming. There are 7,300,000 Americans incarcerated or on probation or parole, equal to 1 in every 31 adults, an increase of 290 percent since 1980.

During this same time period, drug offenders in prisons and jails have increased 1200 percent. Nearly a half million persons are in Federal or State prison or local jail for a drug offense, compared to an estimated 41,100 in 1980. A significant percentage of these offenders have no history of violence or high-level drug selling activity.

Finally, minorities make up a disproportionately large share of prison populations. African American males have a 32 percent chance of serving time in prison at some point in their lives; Hispanic males have a 17 percent chance. By contrast, white males have a 6 percent chance.

The National Criminal Justice Commission will evaluate these and other criminal justice trends, and make recommendations to Congress on ways to improve public safety, cost-effectiveness, and fairness in the implementation of the America's criminal justice system.

I urge you to vote 'yes' on S. 714."

this is the response I received from one state senator,

Thank you . . .

. . . for contacting me regarding the legalization of marijuana. I appreciate hearing your views on this matter.

As you may know, on May 14, 2001, the United States Supreme Court issued a ruling regarding medical marijuana. The decision stated that since marijuana is classified as a Schedule I drug, its distribution is not legal under federal law. I assure you that I will keep your views in mind should similar legislation come before me in the Senate.

Again, thank you for sharing your views with me. If I can be of assistance to you or your family in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow

United States Senator

DS: TS

U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow
The United States Senate - Washington, DC 20510
stabenow.senate.gov

I am confused, not once in the letter sent to her does it directly say anything about legalizing marijuana, I took this write and letter to be an example of my opinion on incarcerating low level offenders, or non violent drug offenders, I am for legalizing marijuana but this letter didn't even bring that subject up, I am thinking my state senator didn't even read it but only took it for what she thought it was and responded to an assumption.

ps. I hope this post don't go against any admin. rules for posts, my apologies if I have, just wanted to share the response from my state senator and the story leading up to it, thank you.

sorry thats suppose to be SB 714

Back
Top Bottom