Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Whats a lid?

Talking Re: Whats a lid?

Coming from the 70's, a lid was usually 4 fingers width (using your own 4 fingers.) and it typically measured out to be an ounce. This was measured in a plastic sandwhich baggie. It was not that the dealer was not weighing out his product, but usually a buyer didn't carry a scale.. so the 4 fingers was a basic equivalent .. you could eyeball your bag and know that you were pretty much on the mark. Now, for that. $10.00!!! Today.. 1/8th is $45 where I am from... and back then they had all kinds of interesting names just like they do today...

However, let's also keep in mind that back in the 70's, shake/stems/seeds would be included in your "lid" for $10.00... today's bags.. holy cow.. a whole lot different.. pure bud.. minimal stems.. hardly any seeds at all...

My current favorites are "train wreck" and "pineapple express".. goodness gracious.. that'll put you on your butt!

So for those who were wondering about the "lid".. I don't know about any coffee can lids for measuring... but I do know for a fact that a 4 finger lid was about an oz and it was $10.00... early 70's fact not fiction!

Re: Whats a lid?

a lid ... the part of a sandwich bag that folds over the top

when u bought a lid you got a sandwich bag full up to the lid

simple as that ...

Quote Originally Posted by 70girl View Post
    Coming from the 70's, a lid was usually 4 fingers width (using your own 4 fingers.) and it typically measured out to be an ounce. This was measured in a plastic sandwhich baggie. It was not that the dealer was not weighing out his product, but usually a buyer didn't carry a scale.. so the 4 fingers was a basic equivalent .. you could eyeball your bag and know that you were pretty much on the mark. Now, for that. $10.00!!! Today.. 1/8th is $45 where I am from... and back then they had all kinds of interesting names just like they do today...

However, let's also keep in mind that back in the 70's, shake/stems/seeds would be included in your "lid" for $10.00... today's bags.. holy cow.. a whole lot different.. pure bud.. minimal stems.. hardly any seeds at all...

So for those who were wondering about the "lid".. I don't know about any coffee can lids for measuring... but I do know for a fact that a 4 finger lid was about an oz and it was $10.00... early 70's fact not fiction!
    This is the true fact, Peace out

Quote Originally Posted by Weedpipe View Post

simple as that ...
    Thats what we called a lid.It cost $30.00 bucks and it was never seeds and stems.I always got my stuff back then in the blue grass state.The bud was always more on the sativa side long slim buds and very green some with red hairs and some with orange hairs.
    DISCLOSURE:any words or pic i put on this forum is just a small part of my enourmous imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by yeefoo View Post
    Contrary to popular belief a Lid is not an ounce of weed. The coffee cans had a key like a sardine can and the Lid would be wound off the can. The Lid used to measure usually contained about 4 fingers of pot. People at that time didn't have a triple scale to weight pot.
    Right. that's what we would get in the seventies. I was too young sooner then that. it was a very long time ago.

Cannabis Connoisseur Propa Gator's Avatar

thin lid fat lid no zip lock
    it's a welcome bag of weed, people
    best with than without

Quote Originally Posted by Weedpipe View Post

simple as that ...
    I was just reading the first page and was gonna say this, but figured I should read the rest of the post first. I dont remember if it was my dad or my next door neighbor that told me, but both are long-time smokers. I seem to remember hearing it was about $50 for a lid, which makes sense factoring in inflation. Just my .02 cents.

Back in the day (70's), around here, a lid was 4 fingers of weed (usually leaf) it weighed about an ounce. "An ounce" and "a lid" were interchangeable, "ounce" meant that someone bothered to weigh it (theorically). There were 16 lids in a pound, when a pound was divided by sight rather than by scale.
    "You would not wonder if you used this herb yourself.
    You might find that smoke blown out cleared your mind of shadows within.
    Anyway, it gives patience, to listen to error without anger." Mithrandir

we had 1,2,3,4 finger bags, we also had lids, which is a hell of alot more than a 4 finger bag ...

Plant and Nug of the Month Winner (July 10') Hogdady's Avatar

From one old enuf to know...a lid was an oz (roughly)....in a sandwich bag (no ziplocks then) and if it filled da bag to the width of four fingers, that was good....btw, we usually paid ten bucks for a lid...

“Who are you to judge the life i live
    i know i'm not perfect and i don't live to be.
    but before you start pointing fingers
    make sure your hands are clean.”
    ― Jimi Hendrix

June'10 Plant of the Month

July'10 Nug of the Month

Da Hog Shack (Completed)

Hogdady's Current Grow (Completed)

BUSTED! The Citizens Guide to surviving Police Encounters

Cannabis Connoisseur Propa Gator's Avatar

^ Old Scool

420 Member

The term lid goes back to the late 20's and NYC jazz musician/weed dealer Mezz Mezzrow. He kept his weed in a Folgers coffee can. He filled the lid of the can for 10 bucks,thus the name.lid.

Good weed in the 30's,40's,and 50's was called "The Mighty Mezz" in jazz circles. Mezz was Louis Armstrong's dealer.

When I started smoking weed circa 1969,"Lid" was mainly a West Coast term for an ounce of pot. Back east,a lid was a short ounce,three fingers that sold for around 15 bucks. A four finger ounce cost 20 bucks.

I wouldn't deal with a guy who weighed his ounces those days,they were shorting you. An ounce was four fingers of weed in a sandwich bag,period. If you sold 28 gram on the nose ounces,you were considered a bad dealer.

As most weed came into the country in kilo bricks/packages,basically the dealer was buying half a key when he bought a pound from a wholesaler and everyone knew it. The conversation would start something like this,"Where's that extra weed,Sparky,you rat bastard ripoff artist."

I witnessed a few hellacious fist fights over that extra 1/12th of an ounce of seedy Mexican weed.

four finger bag, 15.00, 1970's the baggies back then diden't have pleats like they do now so it looked like alot more. when you hold up the bag and your hand horizontally it would be 4 fingers. bud, small stems, seeds, and leaf or shake as we called it. the everyday stuff was called mexican and every now and then you would find columbian gold or redbud and they were 20.00

Quote Originally Posted by Hogdady View Post
    From one old enuf to know...a lid was an oz (roughly)....in a sandwich bag (no ziplocks then) and if it filled da bag to the width of four fingers, that was good....btw, we usually paid ten bucks for a lid...
    Amen brudda, but before those early sandwich bags days, a 'lid' was a Prince Albert tobacco can filled with grass for 10 bucks, and was how my first score came packaged at a Love In/Free Concert (Janice Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Three Dog Night) at Griffith Park in '69.
    OldSkoool

Free your mind, and your ass will follow

Blog Entries

wow this is one question that has people showing their age the term "lid" for any of us who started smoking any latter then 70's ment an ounce, we were still braking things up by eye then and you could still by a joint for a dollar.By the end of the 80's things had changed out were nickel and dime bags,replaced by grams and eigths.Lids and four finger bags became an O.Z or ounce.Now every thing is wieghed down to the tenth of a gram.peace

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast