Smoking with mono, need some help guys

Sevendust912

Well the other day i was diagnosed with mono by my doctor(i know,shit fuckin sucks.) Anyways, he told me no drinking because it could rupture my spleen and then i would be in trouble. i thought that sucked because i love to drink, but not as much as i love smoking.

Anyways, ive been smoking for about 4 years now anf have never gone longer then a week without toking. So naturally this could be a problem. i was just wondering if anyone of you fellow tokers have ever had mono, and if it is ok to smoke with it, or is it best to just suck it up and wait untill its gone. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!:bong:

I'm no expert, but I was just reading about mono and it said the main thing was plenty of bed rest and liquids. So, I would recommend eating it as opposed to smoking it-you could make something easy like firecrackers. If you have to smoke, do it with caution-try not to cough from it or you'll put more stress on your body. I would take really small hits, while lying in bed.
I hope you feel better man. Oh by the way, your doctor probably told you but the artical also said to stay away from caffeine.

I had mono when I was a teenager.. fucks up the immune system.. should not partake of pot .. I believe it has been found to lower your immune system.. even if it doesn't, one should stop and concentrate on getting well.

So there you go.. bottom line.. don't do anything that might curtail you getting well! :peace: :cheesygrinsmiley:

I thought the immune sytem thing is a myth and that they did a study and it has actually been found to help the immune system. I wouldn't smoke thats for sure smoke in general is bad for the immune system.

How to Treat Mononucleosis

Mononucleosis is an infectious viral disease caused by the Epstein-Barr virus and, on rare occasions, by cytomegalovirus (CMV). There is no cure for it, and it usually clears up on its on without causing any complications.

Steps:

1. Rest. That is probably the single most important thing you can do. Do not fight the urge to sleep.

2. Stay in bed during the acute phase of the illness if you are feeling very ill and fatigued. Your body is telling you what it needs in order to heal.

3. Drink plenty of fluids to keep from getting dehydrated. Drink water or fresh juice.

4. Gargle with warm salt water if you have a sore throat. Suck on throat lozenges, hard candy or Popsicles.

5. Eat soft, nonspicy foods if your throat is sore.

6. Maintain good nutrition. It is important to boost your immune system. Eat several small meals a day. It is easier on the digestive system and may be better tolerated while you are sick.

7. Avoid junk food. It depresses your immune system.

8. Use the herbs astagalus and echinacea. They are available as a tea, in capsules or as a tincture. They boost immune function.

9. Take dandelion and milk thistle herbs to protect the liver, which is sometimes affected by mononucleosis. They are available as a tincture, tea or capsules.

10. Take a high-potency multivitamin.

11. Take Vitamin C with bioflavonoids, 5,000mg daily, in divided doses to strengthen the immune system.

12. Use Vitamin E, 400-800 IU per day. It is needed for immune system functioning.

13. Use Vitamin A, 50,000 IU per day for 2 weeks only, and then slowly reduce down to 10,000 IU. It is essential for immune functioning.

14. Take a fever reducer, such as ibuprofen, aspirin or acetominophen to relieve fever and aches/pains. Do not give aspirin to children under 18 because of its association with Reye's syndrome, a rare but potentially fatal disease.

Tips:

Antibiotics are ineffective against mononucleosis because it is caused by a virus. They are prescribed only if there is a secondary bacterial infection, such as an ear infection or strep throat.

Mononucleosis is often mistaken for the flu because the symptoms are similar. A blood test is needed to confirm the presence of mononucleosis. The acute symptoms last between two and four weeks, but the fatigue can continue for several weeks or even months.

Most cases resolve without complications, but mononucleosis can cause problems with the spleen and liver.

Warnings:

If you get sudden sharp pains in the left upper abdomen, if breathing and/or swallowing becomes increasingly difficult, or if you spike a fever over 103 F, contact your doctor immediately.

If you have any questions or concerns, contact a physician or other health care professional before engaging in any activity related to health and diet. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment.

Tips from eHow Users:
Mononucleosis by Ashley
When I had Mononucleosis, my glands were huge with white stuff all over them. I was very tired. I felt weak and I didn't want to eat. When people have mono they are most likely to loose weight. I lost 10 pounds. Gargling with salt water didn't help me at all. What I did was suck on cough drops or lozenges and I drank plenty of water. Don't drink orange juice, the acid in it can cause throat to be more irritated. Stay in bed. If you have to eat, eat chicken noodle soup. If you are having trouble sleeping at night (because of the pain), take some sleeping pills or take Tylenol Night Time cold medicine. This will help the pain in your throat and you will sleep all night.

See weed is good just get a bunch of good for you munchies like orange juice or a cranberry and drink that. It will be easier too but you probably shouldn't smoke but I am sure eating is fine. And it will keep the pain down.And make you sleepy

When I had it the first time, it was hell. I couldnt do anything. The second time it came back (because I didnt do what I was supposed to the first time) a year later much MUCH worse. I couldnt drink anything, even water. Doctor had to give me steroids to boost my healing process. Personally, as much as I love the MJ, I would tell you to not do anything till you are more than 100%. That shit is no joke and you dont want it coming back to you times three. Just imagine how you feel now and multiply that times 10. Is that enough to keep you from smoking?

My little brother had it when we were smaller, we think he got it from a drinking fountain at Disneyland...darn germs!!!

I would say eat it or vape it...whichever you can do. It will help you relax and sleep so I cannot see why it would do that much harm.

As for the immune system, not sure about that, the govt. feeds us so much crap and will not allow some of the Real studies done on MJ to be posted or let out to the pulic, cause Heaven forbid, we are all actually justified for smoking it...Why do you think it is so resilient?? God put it here for a reason, just like the Aloe plant, duh...sorry, tangent....

I would say, rest, smoke, and be happy!! But I'm no doc...just a Mom

With mono you're supposed to be damned sick.....and a chance to get sicker yet especially if you don't take your antibiotics on time & meaning every twelve hours punctually.....vitamins.....teas....herbs.... & fluids, natural juices, you can find info online and at your local health food stores you'll find your needs real quickly.
Take care of yourself FIRST you wanna be fit as a fiddle before you try to tangle with the Devils Weed again......j/k, but no smoking til you well.:peace:

Back
Top Bottom