Conserving your stash

The Mad Toker

Well, here's my first go at writing an informative piece. Let me know what you think. Constructive critiscism is greatly encouraged as eventually I want to try and get published in one of the many marijuana magazines avaliable.

The Mad Toker’s Guide to Conserving Your Stash

Let’s face it, weed aint cheap. So I know everyone out there wants to make what they have last as long as possible. Here are some proven tips and tricks of the professional pothead to accomplish just that. But first, let’s look at the main issue and that being tolerance.

Tolerance

Whenever you smoke some cannabis your body slowly builds up a tolerance to it. And soon enough you will have to smoke more and more to get your desired effects. If you already have to smoke ungodly amounts of weed just to get high it will be in your best interests to not smoke at all for a week or two. This gives your body enough time to clean out some of the cannabinoids and thus allowing you to smoke less to get where you want. It may be difficult but trust me its well worth it.

Once your tolerance level has dropped enough that you can get high off smoking a bit of weed try and keep it that way. You don’t need to get absolutely blazed each and every time you toke up. Smoking a lot of cannabis once and a while won’t really build up your tolerance level that much so it’s ok to do but not all the time.

Treat your buds kindly

Marijuana buds are extremely delicate flowers so you want to treat them with the utmost care. Here are a few things you can do to preserve your buds:

Stay away from baggies

When you bought your cannabis chances are it came in a plastic bag. You want to remove your pot from this bag as quickly as possible. Plastic bags have a nasty habit of attracting the trichromes (the yummy resin glands that contain most of the THC) from the buds so it is then wasted seeing it’s stuck to the side of the bag. It’s best to store your bud in a glass jar or even a plastic container seeing you can easily scrape off any kif that has collected on the sides.

And even better storage solution is a kif box. Basically a kif box is a wooden box that has 2 main compartments. The first is where you store your cannabis. The bottom of this compartment is a fine mesh screen or silk screen. As the box is moved around and agitated from normal use, some of the resin glands (or kif) will fall off the bud and be collected in the second compartment which is usually a glass or plastic plate. This makes is extremely easy to collect the kif after a period of time.

Handle your buds as little as possible

This can be difficult to do because I know how everyone likes to admire the beauty of the buds. However, the more you handle them the more resin glands are knocked off them and lost forever. When handling your buds always hold from the stem and try not to touch the flower part at all. If you want to remove some for use, use a small pair of scissors to cut the desired amount off. By doing this you’re making contact with a much smaller area of the bud and any trichromes that do stick to the scissors can be easily collected. Just remember, sticky fingers are not a very good thing.

Bongs, pipes & vaporizers

A bong, pipe or vaporizer is perhaps the most economical way to toke. Unlike a joint there is very little smoke wasted as the pot is not constantly burning. Another good thing is that it is quite easy to get high off of a small amount of cannabis because you’re taking concentrated tokes. A bong or pipe could be acquired from any headshop for a very reasonable price.

A vaporizer on the other had does not even burn the bud. Rather it heats it up to a certain temperature at which the THC vaporizes. This is also perhaps the healthiest way to toke seeing you’re not inhaling those nasty carcinogens that come with smoking. Also keep your spent bud from a vaporizer as you can use it to make cannabutter and extract any leftover THC.

Grinders

A grinder is something that no toker should be without. Grinders come in many shapes, size and forms. Everything from hand powered grinders to electric grinders can be had at a very reasonable price from any well stocked headhsop. They are extremely useful for breaking up your bud because again, you can collect the resin glands that stick to the grinder.

Perhaps the best style of grinder to get in my opinion is the sifter grinder. How this grinder differs from the others is that it is usually a 3-part grinder. The top part where the grinding takes place has holes for the ground bud to fall through to the second compartment. This makes it impossible to over-grind your bud. The second compartment functions much like a kif box in that it has a mesh screen which allows the resin glands to fall through to the third compartment. You can also store your ground bud in these grinders for further kif collection. Perhaps the best make of these grinders comes from Spacecase. Though they are a little pricey they are more then worth it in the long run.

Kif

So now you might be wondering what to do with all this kif you have been collecting. Well you can put it directly into a bowl and smoke it. You can sprinkle some into a joint to make it more potent. Or you can do what I mostly do and that is make some finger hash. Here is my simple way of making some delightful finger hash that is guaranteed to get you high as a kite.

You’ll need the following:

- Your collected kif
- Parchment paper (non-waxed baking paper)
- Damp paper towel
- Clothing iron

First off what you want to do is pour your kif onto a piece of parchment paper and fold it up nicely so no kif falls out. You can seal it up with a piece of tape though this is really not necessary. Secondly you put the damp paper towel overtop of your kif package. Make sure the paper towel is damp, not soaking wet. Thirdly, take the iron and on the lowest setting run it over the paper towel and press down hard. You can re-wet the paper towel if it dries up too fast. Do this for several minutes. Finally unwrap the paper and you should be left with a nice flat piece of hash. While it is still warm mold it into a little ball or whatever shape you like. Now all that’s left to do is break off a small piece and smoke it. Remember, a little goes a long way.

Bong resin & roaches

Many people smoke the resin scrapped from bowls as an absolute last resort. Basically the resin is composed of all the tars, resins and ash that did not really fully burn. It also contains variable amounts of THC and can get you quite high when smoked. To make it a little more user friendly and less harsh to your lungs and over all health here is what you can do.

Simply put your collected resin in a container of hot water. This allows all the nasty stuff to separate from the resins which can then be collected and smoked. It still tastes bad and is bad for you but it’s a little cleaner this way.

Roaches are the left over remains of a joint. They usually contain a little bit of pot that is coated in lots of resin (all depends how much you smoked your joints down to). You can smoke these any way you wish do it in a bowl or re-rolling them into another quite potent but nasty tasting joint. Again this route is not the healthiest one but it works.

Stems and leftovers

Many people discard they stems and bits after rolling a joint or packing a bowl. This wastes those precious resin glands. Though smoking stems is a bad idea and quite disgusting they can get you a little high but also give you a killer headache. What you can do with them is throw them in a grinder and grind them up to collect the little bit of kif that may be on them or use them to make any number of extracts and cannabutter. You could also make some stem tea. Though you won’t get high off this it is pleasant to drink.

These are some of the ways I have used personally for quite a while to make the most out of the little bit of weed I usually have. Just remember, the less you smoke, the longer your stash lasts.

Until next time, keep tokin!

Mr Mad.. very good read, thanks. :cheesygrinsmiley: :peace:

That was excellent!! Good job :cheesygrinsmiley:

As much as you want... but of course, the more the better ;)

Yah... that'd be a good start.

Collect the kief from your buds for a week or so... that'd get you plenty.
I know there's some great hash making threads on this site, with way better explanations than I can give.

that was great. your article was very informative.i actually learned some things. i think you would make a very good writer:smokin:

Thanks for the positive response. Seeing the feedback is good I'll let you all in on my plans. basically I plan to write a whole series of these and call them "The Mad Toker's Guide to....". Some topics I have planned are:

- Dealing with the cops
- Canna tourisim of Toronto
- Everything you wanted to know about hashish and hash oil
- Stoner culture
- Healthy toking
- Everything you wanted to know about joints, spliffs and blunts
- History of prohibition in Canada
- Canadian cannabis scene
- Cooking with cannabis
- How cannabis interacts with your body

Pretty much I want to write on things that I have first hand experience so unfortunly wont be doing anything on med-pot or growing unless I either get a medcard and can actually get an inside look at the medpot scene or start growing which probably wont be for quite a while.

I'm pretty much trying to write on things that other people haven't thought of. I like to focus on the "stoner culture" and various methods of consuming as well as writeups on some very cool and useful products. Though I will gladly take any suggestions on anything people want to know about.

that is so awsome man. you are awsome. and that was a really good article. i am deffinantley going to try and make some of that finger hash.

Good luck with your otherguides too.
Peace-

Mad Toker,

I loved that article and look forward to the rest of your series. You might want to think about a publisher and make a book! lol

We'll be your test audience. ;)

:joint:

Cy

Eh writing a book is out of my league out at the moment but a possibility in the near future. For now my main goal is to try and get published in a magazine. I'm gonna submit this article to Cannabis Culture, Skunk etc. sometime soon and see what they think. But you guys will be my test audience and the times will be the very first place these articles will be released.

Thats the shit man I always learn form your posts even if I learn things I don't want to learn lol. But this post was great I am making some of that finger hash tonight.

Keep writing dude, i would love to read more.

yeah great article man. And good luck wirting that book( The mad Tokers ghuide to...), which is a great idea!Im loving all these threads your posting!

One thing that was brought up in another forum was that I forgot to add a thing about one hitters. Oh well will edit it when I have some time later on.

Edit: If a mod would be so kind as to move this one and a few of the other articles I have posted over to the library it would be greatly appreciated.

Yea see me not smoke for 3 day's a trail of dead body's and alot of broken shit. weed is the only thing i found to being able to tolerate this world.

great article, i always try to tell people about not using plastic bags, wen u get weed with alot of thc it turns the bag an off white color because of all the thc glands, i keep my herb in a glass jar or my grinder now! awesome read!!

also: Ive been smoking for quite a while now, and i find my self smoking less weed and getting just as high if i smoked a blunt to my head. I rarely will smoke blunts (unless im with 3 or more people) Joints are a thing of the past for me. i have a small pipe in my car and a 12'' bong at my house, keeps me happy. every now and then when im feeling froggy i will bake some fire crackers! (yummy) but i am going to try this keif press with the clothes iron, that's not a bad idea!

Not sure whether this would go in "Everything you wanted to know about hashish and hash oil" or a whole other topic called "Methods of smoking", up to you either way I guess haha, Anyway, My dad recently showed me what could be the most efficient way to smoke hash I've ever seen. I was talking to him when he whipped out a Q of hash known as "squidgy black", considered a delicacy according to my papa's ex hippie friends from the 60's-80's. It was only mid way through him telling me how he was speaking to a tibetan monk from napal who happened to have smuggled some of this hash only to sell it to my dad, that I noticed he was making a strange contraption.

What he did was:
Put a pin into the top of a flat based rubber aiming upwards
Placed the pin rubber on a piece of flat wood (piece of plank, slate, anything flat will do)
He then took off a piece of hash rolling into a line like some stoners like to put into a joint only he stopped once it was slightly slimmer than roach and placed it on the end of the pin

He then lit the hash on a pin like you would a wick in a candle and placed a pint glass over it
If the hash ignites properly then it will burn super slowly filling the glass with smoke
As the glass get creamy you slide the glass to the edge of the flat surface and inhale as if a bong rip
Sweetest high ever.

dont think i saw this mentioned but anyone with a vape similar to the vapir 2.0 u can clean your vape adaptors and hookups and balloons with 99% iso and get real nice honey oil generally gold in color and knocks me out after 2 hits :p

mix 1/8th of a 1l bottle in ziploc bag put adaptor in close bag and agitate for best results 20+ mins or until iso is gold/amber. filter into glass dish or other plate to evaporate

myself im impatient and like to use a hair dryer with a fan and a open window to evap faster and get :lot-o-toke:

just make sure to filter thru coffee filter TWICE and its ohhh so sweet

cheers
:lot-o-toke::peace::party::ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom