how do you measure thc?

There's a kit out there. I haven't tried it. Google "Cannalyse".

smokin moose has a good post on breeding a new strain its kinda in depth and hard to understand maybe i was just too ADD to stay on topic

I'm told british police are looking at this, with the eventual idea being that the thc level will be taken into consideration when it comes to sentencing.:smokin:

I've looked cannalyse but don't know of it's accuracy or of anyone who has actually used it....... the only true way is gas chromatography search around I'm sure you'll find more info.

I read a article by Dr. Hornby and basically he was saying how often diff labs will get diff readings...... so the best test for you and me? Smoke that shiz, lol.... seriously though.

^^^^^
Spence is right. Gas chromagraphy or runnin the ganj in a gas spectrometer are the only accurate ways to messure any chemical structure. Sadly there is not many labs willing to test the green due to the legality of it. You would be able to do it yourself if you could afford the 6 figure price of the spectrometer.

^^ Probably a lot funner to load up, too! :rofl:

OK for one i don't believe any one can give an accurate thc level .unless you have alot of money to waste and smoke lots of weed (not many of those jewels out there)
We all know that the tops are more potent, which means consistency of thc throughout a plant varies, there for how is it possible to come up with an exact number, it would HAVE to be a percentage , even scientifically. measuring an average tricome % throughout a plant would be a much easier and effordable way for us normal folk . that would be with a buster ,screen, and digital scale . set a scale amount to work with , extract then weigh. the difference is you percentage. example : you scale weight was 1 gram, you extracted 0.2 g of tricome there for 20 % TRICOME NOT THC.
Ive used it for years and it just gives me a general idea of difference between crap to great . only if more ppl used this, it would give us non scientific potheads a good general scale of marijuana quality.
you have to start somewhere. Why not use this as a base for our knowledge we are being deprived of, due to government and cost .

Yes, you can get accurate concentrations of THC.
Take this abstract from a paper prepared for the Dutch Government.

Strong increase in total delta-THC in cannabis preparations sold in Dutch coffee shops

* FTA Pijlman11Trimbos Institute for Mental Health and Addiction, PO Box 725, 3500, AS Utrecht,The Netherlands,
* SM Rigter11Trimbos Institute for Mental Health and Addiction, PO Box 725, 3500, AS Utrecht,The Netherlands,
* J Hoek22DeltaLab, Albrandswaardsedijk 74, 3172 AA Poortugaal, The Netherlands,
* HMJ Goldschmidt22DeltaLab, Albrandswaardsedijk 74, 3172 AA Poortugaal, The Netherlands &
* RJM Niesink11Trimbos Institute for Mental Health and Addiction, PO Box 725, 3500, AS Utrecht,The Netherlands

1Trimbos Institute for Mental Health and Addiction, PO Box 725, 3500, AS Utrecht,The Netherlands 2DeltaLab, Albrandswaardsedijk 74, 3172 AA Poortugaal, The Netherlands

Correspondence to: Dr. Femke Pijlman, Trimbos Institute for Mental Health and Addiction, PO Box 725, 3500 AS Utrecht, The Netherlands. Tel: +31 30 2971100. Fax: +31 30 2971111. E-mail: fpijlman@trimbos.nl.

The total concentration of THC has been monitored in cannabis preparations sold in Dutch coffee shops since 1999. This annual monitoring was issued by the Ministry of Health after reports of increased potency. The level of the main psychoactive compound, Δ 9 -tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), is measured in marijuana and hashish. A comparison is made between imported and Dutch preparations, and between seasons. Samples of cannabis preparations from randomly selected coffee shops were analyzed using gas chromatography (GC-FID) for THC, CBD and CBN. In 2004, the average THC level of Dutch home-grown marijuana (Nederwiet) (20.4% THC) was significantly higher than that of imported marijuana (7.0% THC). Hashish derived from Dutch marijuana (Nederhasj) contained 39.3% THC in 2004, compared with 18.2% THC in imported hashish. The average THC percentage of Dutch marijuana, Dutch hashish and imported hashish was significantly higher than in previous years. It nearly doubled over 5 years. During this period, the THC percentage in imported marijuana remained unchanged. A higher price had to be paid for cannabis with higher levels of THC. Whether the increase in THC levels causes increased health risks for users can only be concluded when more data are available on adjusted patterns of use, abuse liability, bioavailability and levels of THC in the brain.

Addiction Biology

Volume 10 Issue 2 Page 171-180, June 2005

To cite this article: FTA Pijlman, SM Rigter, J Hoek, HMJ Goldschmidt, RJM Niesink (2005)
Strong increase in total delta-THC in cannabis preparations sold in Dutch coffee shops
Addiction Biology 10 (2), 171—180.
doi:10.1080/13556210500123217

And go here if you want to know about gas chromatography Varian GC-FID

Application Note Categories
GC/FID

In GC/FID, the FID or flame ionization detector detects analytes by measuring an electrical current generated by electrons from burning carbon particles in the sample.

The flame ionization detector (FID) is a non-selective detector used in conjunction with gas chromatography. Because it is non-selective, there is a potential for many non-target compounds present in samples to interfere with this analysis and for poor resolution especially in complex samples. The FID works by directing the gas phase output from the column into a hydrogen flame. A voltage of 100-200V is applied between the flame and an electrode located away from the flame. The increased current due to electrons emitted by burning carbon particles is then measured. Although the signal current is very small (the ionization efficiency is only 0.0015%) the noise level is also very small (<10-13 amp) and with a well-optimized system, sensitivities of 5 x 10-12 g/ml for n-heptane at a signal/noise ratio of 2 can be easily realized. Except for a very few organic compounds (e.g. carbon monoxide, etc.) the FID detects all carbon containing compounds. The detector also has an extremely wide linear dynamic range that extends over, at least five orders of magnitude with a response index between 0.98-1.02.

ya but my point is you average joe being able to do it , can you afford to buy all that equipment just to find out how powerful you weed is?:smokin:or even know anyone in your area that can do that ???

Back
Top Bottom