Needing Help Finding A Isolator (Iso2?).

NorthWestHaze

I'm looking for what is called a Iso2 (I think?). The kind with a light bulb and you use a regular coffee filter. I think they used to sell them but I can't find one anywhere in town or on the web.

If you know what this is.... PLEASE HELP.
If you need to know what this is then ask..... and then..... PLEASE HELP.

I will gladly help... But what is it's purpose?

Is it an Ionizer for odor control?

Is it a concentrate separation device?

OK, let me explain..... It has a light bulb in it for heat. You put spirits in it... Take your leaf and put it in a coffee filter... Take the coffee filter and put it in this strainer type thing with a tray... Turn it on. As the bulb heats up the spirits pass through the leaf. The spirits then settle in the bottom. You can pass the leaf a couple times or trash it if you have extra leaf. When your done you're left with pure oil. You can put this oil or in on anything!!! I miss my oil....

I seen one on that 70's show one time....

It's kind of like extracting using clorafil but a little safer???

I've seen some related articles. But not even a picture... still looking. I've heard though that they haven't been made since the 70's. I've also heard that they pop up on ebay once and a while.

YEAH.... I think you got it. Now you know what I am up against. I didn't know that they don't make them anymore but I'm not even 100% sure of the name. I think I have it right? Now I REALLY want one (or 2) even that much more. I search ebay and other sites like every 3 days looking for one but nothing. If you come across one will you PLEASE PM me the link?

I'm REALLY surprised that more people haven't heard of them??? Once I have one I'm going to post pics and tell the world about them....

THANKS FOR YOUR CONTINUED HELP JTBronco!!!

My brother had one back in the 70's. Worked great. His was called an Iso 2, and I believe it was advertised for making oils from roses, etc.

Here are some methods of extracting essential oils for later use in aromatherapy and lotions/soaps.

Methods of Extracting Essential Oils

Distillation:
The vast majority of true essential oils are produced by distillation. There are different processes used, however. In all of them, water is heated to produce steam, which carries the most volatile chemicals of the aromatic material with it. The steam is then chilled (in a condenser) and the resulting distillate is collected. The Essential Oil will normally float on top of the Hydrosol (the distilled water component) and may be separated off.

Steam Distillation
True Steam distillation uses an outside source of steam which pipes the steam into the distillation unit, sometimes at high pressure. The steam passes through the aromatic material, and exits into the condenser.

Hydrodistillation
The botanicals are fully submerged in water, producing a "soup", the steam of which contains the aromatic plant molecules. This is the most ancient method of distillation and the most versatile. It's the method most often used in primitive countries. The risk, of course, is that the still can run dry, or be overheated, burning the aromatics and resulting in an EO with a burnt smell. Hydrodistillation seems to work best for powders (ie, spice powders, ground wood, etc.) and very tough materials like roots, wood, or nuts.

Water & steam distillation
A water and steam distillation arrangement can be compared to a kitchen steamer basket, with the botanicals supported in a "basket" over boiling water, thus exposing the plant material only to the rising steam vapors. This is the best method for distilling leafy materials, but doesn't work well for woods, roots, seeds, etc.

Absolutes and Concretes: Solvent Extraction
Very delicate aromatics, Jasmine, Linden Blossom,etc. can not survive the process of distillation. To capture their magical aromas, a process of solvent extraction is used.

An extracting unit is loaded with perforated trays of blossoms. The blossoms are washed repeatedly with a solvent (usually hexane.) The solvent dissolves all extractable matter from the plant whch includes non-aromatic waxes, pigments and highly volatile aromatic molecules. The solution containing both solvent and dissolvable plant material is filtered and the filterate subjected to low pressure distillation to recover the solvent for further use. The remaining waxy mass is what is called the concrete and it contains in the case of J. grandiflorum as much as 55% of the volatile oil.

The concentrated concretes are processed further to remove the waxy materials which dilute the pure essential oil. To prepare the absolute from the concrete, the waxy concrete is warmed and stirred with alcohol (usually ethanol.). During the heating and stirring process the concrete breaks up into minute globules. Since the aromatic molecules are more soluble in alcohol than is the wax an efficient separation of the two takes place. But along with the aromatic molecules a certain amount of wax also becomes dissolved and this can only be removed by agitating and freezing the solution at very low temperatures (around -30 degrees F) In this way most of the wax precipates out. As a final precaution the purified solution is cold filtered leaving only the wax-free material (the absolute.)

This solvent extraction actually yields three usable products; first the concrete (as in rose concrete, my favorite solid perfume), the precious absolutes, and the floral waxes, for addition to candles, thickening creams and lotions as a softly floral scented alternative to beeswax.

Carbon Dioxide Extraction
When CO2 (carbon dioxide) is subjected to high pressure, the gas turns into liquid. This liquid CO2 can be used as a very inert, safe, "liquid solvent." which will extract the aromatic molecules in a process similar to that used to extract absolutes (above.) The advantage, of course, is that no solvent residue remains, since at normal pressure and temperature, the CO2 simply reverts to a gas and evaporates.

CO2 extraction has given us essences of some aromatics that don't yield essential oils, Rose Hip Seed, and Calendula, for examples. In my experience (or opinion!) if the same essential oil is available both as a steam distilled EO and a CO2 extracted essence, the CO2 seems to have a richer, more intense scent, since more of the aromatic chemicals are released through this process. For more details of this process and the different types of CO2 extracts please read our page devoted exclusively to the CO2 extracts.

Cold Pressing
We are all familiar with the spray of orange essential oil that can be released by scoring or zesting the skin of the fruit. The cold pressed citrus oils are commercial produced just this way, by machines which score the rind and capture the resulting oil. Although many citrus oils are also produced by steam distillation, they seem to lack the vibrancy of the cold pressed oils.

Florasols/Phytols
This extraction method uses a new type of benign gaseous solvents. In the late 1980s Dr. Peter Wilde first recognized the unique properties of these solvents for the extraction of aromatic oils and biologically active components from plant materials, for use in the food, pharmaceutical, aromatherapy and perfume industries. "Florasol" (R134a), is the solvent upon which the process is based.

Extraction occurs at or below ambient temperatures, hence there is no thermal degradation of the products. The extraction process utilizes the selectivity of the solvent and produces a free flowing clear oil free of waxes.

Aromatic extraction methods.

I just want to thank everyone for the help. I still haven't found one but I'm still looking.

Racefan - Oh man, you don't know what your missing....

Herb Fellow - Thanks for the extra info and remembering the name....

Here's my method for ISO hash...

Place 20g's shake/popcorns/buds into mason jar.
Dump entire bottle of 91% iso into jar.
Shake for 1 min.
Place coffee filter over jar, screw ring onto jar to secure filter.
Pour contents onto plate.
Place plate on top of another bowl containing water.
Place both of these on top of small electric burner.
30-40 minutes later, scrape contents off plate, and place in single glob.
Place single glob of hash back onto hot plate, and stir with needle.
Scrape remaining hash, and place on a credit card or some such.
Final yield is 2g's ISO.

This method produces a somewhat manageble hash, that smokes extremely nice. So I'm wondering, does everyone else's ISO come out with a similar texture? Upon lighting it on the first hit, it bubbles up and expands big time, it will do this for the first 2-3 hits, then settles down to a more compact hash, which you can continue to hit for 3 or so more times, which then turns into a white ash.

Also, 2 rips from the roor, and I'm toasted for several hours, it's quite amazing how long it's effects linger. 3 rips, and I MUST eat something to bring my high down, else I'll be walking down the street in my PJ's with only 1 sock on, foaming at the mouth! lol

Heheheh I found this thread on google.

Also it looks like the Iso2 was manufactured by a company called Thai Power.

Doin a Saturday morning wake-n-bake... I want to find a picture of this thing.

Is this it? Found it on ebay.

THAIPOWERISO2_1.jpg

WOW, Everyone here is GREAT. Everyone has been sooo muh help. I did find one (or 2) for myself but I wish more people knew about them. THEY'RE GREAT.

Thanks again....

They work GREAT. They break everything down from plant matter and change it into an oil form. You can use peppermint, spearmint, and put any plant (as far as I know) through it that you want an oil from.

Post a pic of it if you can. I think you'll enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom