Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Wiring Help 277 volt industrial 400 watt mh

Plant of the Month Winner - January 2013 gittergreen's Avatar

Question Wiring Help 277 volt industrial 400 watt mh

I have a lithonia hi tek 400w mh industrial fixture and need some help wiring it
    to my 120 volt house plug.
    First Time Indoor/Outdoor Grow Bagseed - Complete

Gittergreens Perpetual Indoor Grow - Complete

Gittergreens Organic Purps grow Journal - Current

Legal Notice and Disclaimer: All posts contained here in are fictitious and should be taken as such. All images and photos are sourced from external sources and are not my own. I have no knowledge of any illegal or legal growing of any controlled substance under any local, state, or federal law. With this disclaimer I expect that all my rights under the Constitution of the United States of America will not be infringed upon by any governing body as I do not consent to giving up these rights at any time. I continue to maintain my right to privacy, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Re: WIRING HELP 277 volt industrial 400 watt mh

It should have a multi-tap ballast.

Re: WIRING HELP 277 volt industrial 400 watt mh

Quote Originally Posted by dank937 View Post
    It should have a multi-tap ballast.
    I have no clue of what that means lol but I will research it thank you so much!
    merry christmas!

Legal Notice and Disclaimer: All posts contained here in are fictitious and should be taken as such. All images and photos are sourced from external sources and are not my own. I have no knowledge of any illegal or legal growing of any controlled substance under any local, state, or federal law. With this disclaimer I expect that all my rights under the Constitution of the United States of America will not be infringed upon by any governing body as I do not consent to giving up these rights at any time. I continue to maintain my right to privacy, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Re: Wiring Help 277 volt industrial 400 watt mh

my fixture has three wires coming out of the ballast green, black and white. none are labeled
    or printed on.

Quote Originally Posted by gittergreen View Post
    I have a lithonia hi tek 400w mh industrial fixture and need some help wiring it
    to my 120 volt house plug.

well guys i wired black to black and white to white and capped off the green ones.
    I plugged it in and i instantly heard a soft buzzing sound I am not 100% sure if this the right way or not. The bulb is old and dont know if it is good. so l@wes in the morning! It didnt light!

420 Member
    Blog Entries

Have you tried removing the bulb and hooking a multimeter to it? Green is generally earth ground.

Plant of the Month Winner - December 2011 YardDog35's Avatar

It looks like its wired for 115 volts, but the ballast says 270v (240). 240 volts uses two hot wires, and one ground (green). 115 volts uses one hot wire, a neutral wire (white), and a ground (green). The ground is always green, and the neutral is always white. Hot wires can be any number of other colors, just not green or white.

You would have to take the cover plate off of the junction box (box the cord goes into) on the ballast and look at the connections, and hope it's labeled in some way. If it is a multi-tap ballast it will have connections for 115v or 270 (240).

Please use extreme caution when it comes to electricity, please. It can be very dangerous so if you aren't sure, don't do it. I'm sure I don't have to stress that but I work with electricity daily and have much respect for it.

If you can take a pic with the cover off, of the wiring diagram that would help us help you.

If you heard humming chances are it might be wired 115v already, but then again I've never wired a ballast wrong so I'm not sure if it would hum under partial voltage. If it is 115v as well, you will need a 3 prong 115v cord so you can use the ground wire as well. 14 gauge to be safe (that's the thickness of the wires in the extension cord).

Hope this will help you get started on your grow!
    707 Headband grow-http://www.420magazine.com/forums/jo...smart-pot.html

Completed AK48 grow-http://www.420magazine.com/forums/co...r-culture.html

Growing legal medicine in beautiful Northern California

Quote Originally Posted by Hosebomber View Post
    Have you tried removing the bulb and hooking a multimeter to it? Green is generally earth ground.
    no I dont have access to one.

:
    Quote Originally Posted by yarddog35 View Post
    It looks like its wired for 115 volts, but the ballast says 270v (240). 240 volts uses two hot wires, and one ground (green). 115 volts uses one hot wire, a neutral wire (white), and a ground (green). The ground is always green, and the neutral is always white. Hot wires can be any number of other colors, just not green or white.

You would have to take the cover plate off of the junction box (box the cord goes into) on the ballast and look at the connections, and hope it's labeled in some way. If it is a multi-tap ballast it will have connections for 115v or 270 (240).

Please use extreme caution when it comes to electricity, please. It can be very dangerous so if you aren't sure, don't do it. I'm sure I don't have to stress that but I work with electricity daily and have much respect for it.

If you can take a pic with the cover off, of the wiring diagram that would help us help you.

If you heard humming chances are it might be wired 115v already, but then again I've never wired a ballast wrong so I'm not sure if it would hum under partial voltage. If it is 115v as well, you will need a 3 prong 115v cord so you can use the ground wire as well. 14 gauge to be safe (that's the thickness of the wires in the extension cord).

Hope this will help you get started on your grow!
    I will def get the pics bro thank you so so much. I lost my job and did not get my hps so this would be so cool to get this working. I also have deep respect for it, 480 hurts. more like fear due to ignorance!

Here is a pic of my ballast guts.

Hallooo! Any bodys there!

From the looks of it,,, YOU'RE SCREWED! Sorry, but that ballast has soldered terminals. It does not appear to be multi-tap. I could be wrong but this is over 25 yrs. of electrician talking here.

thanks for the info guys

Must agree with Dank. And for you others out there, 277 is 277, single phase (like 120 single phase) 2 or 3 phase of 277 is 480 (120 = 208.... 240 derives from a transformer tap at the utilities' transformer that isn't usually available at a residence...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast