How many amps does a typical 1000watt setup pull?

or a better question would be what are the fewest amps I could pull with a 1000 watt setup. This includes all power you need including fans ...

I am limited to 15 amps

u have a 7amp pull constant and on ignition goes to about 9amps on a 120circuit, on a 240 u have 3.6 draw with a surge to 5 aprx. remeber it is always wise to leave at least 2 amps on the circuit for power on surge so you dont pop the breaker. no lights no plants. if u have any question what is on the plug circuit get a lamp and find the panel check the plug with the breaker and anything else that is on that breaker and remove uneccassary items, should allow you to dedicate it .

Dang! that is some freak'in draw!!! I have 2 300 watt LED panels that are only pulling 4-5 amps and that is with 8 fans ...

Everyone's setup is a little different so we have no real way of knowing exactly what is best for you without more info. How many fans are you running? What is their power draw? Is it hydro with 1, 2, or 3 pumps going? Do you have a C02 monitor?

As a general rule you do not want to pull more than 80% of the lines rated current. So you wouldn't want to pull more than 12 Amps. The easiest way to figure out how many amps you are pulling is via a "Kill-A-Watt" which can be bought at your local hardware store or even possibly wally world for around $25. A less precise way is by the following calculation: Watts = Voltage x Amperage. This does not account for ballast or equipment start-ups.

So basically, your 1000w HPS will draw a little over 9 Amps of the 12 you should be using. That leaves about 360 watts for you to play with.

FYI: HPS ballast convert the voltage down to 110 volts. 1000/110 = 9.09 Amps constant

u have a 7amp pull constant and on ignition goes to about 9amps on a 120circuit, on a 240 u have 3.6 draw with a surge to 5 aprx. remeber it is always wise to leave at least 2 amps on the circuit for power on surge so you dont pop the breaker. no lights no plants. if u have any question what is on the plug circuit get a lamp and find the panel check the plug with the breaker and anything else that is on that breaker and remove uneccassary items, should allow you to dedicate it .

Everyone's setup is a little different so we have no real way of knowing exactly what is best for you without more info. How many fans are you running? What is their power draw? Is it hydro with 1, 2, or 3 pumps going? Do you have a C02 monitor?

As a general rule you do not want to pull more than 80% of the lines rated current. So you wouldn't want to pull more than 12 Amps. The easiest way to figure out how many amps you are pulling is via a "Kill-A-Watt" which can be bought at your local hardware store or even possibly wally world for around $25. A less precise way is by the following calculation: Watts = Voltage x Amperage. This does not account for ballast or equipment start-ups.

So basically, your 1000w HPS will draw a little over 9 Amps of the 12 you should be using. That leaves about 360 watts for you to play with.

FYI: HPS ballast convert the voltage down to 110 volts. 1000/110 = 9.09 Amps constant

Thank you both. I can't believe I never replied. Shame on me. This was and is excellent information

Reps to you both

this was really informative but to go a little further lets say you had a 240 circuit and had 208 volts to play with. how many 1000w hps with ballasts and enough fans could you use up with that amount? not an electrician this is like rocket science to me.

you other systems are going to matter a lot like fans, water pumps, feeders etc etc. also what size circuit ? for a 15 amp 240v circuit take 15 amp X 240 volts 3600 watts then take 20% away, in this case 720 leaves you 2880 watts. that gives you 2 1000 watters with some to spare. 208 volts is a 3 phase(3 hot wires 1 nuetral) voltage not in typically in residential use. you can use 2 legs(hot wires)as single phase and can be figured as above.

Back
Top Bottom