Thread: How much light to I need?

How much light to I need?

Sorry new here couldnt find anything on FAQ or stickies ..

I built a wooden grow box with 4 cubic feet space inside. it is completly sealed ( exept exhaust and intake fans )

How much light do I need ? is there a formula ?

I ordered this kit :
    14 Watt Grow Light Kit - HomeGrownLights.com

only 14 watts , is that enough ? if not can I get some suggestions please ?
    For my application should I use LED or HID ?

- Should I Pad the interior walls with reflectors to reflect all the light in the box ?
    - how far should it hang above the plant ?

- should it be directly above the plant or is it better to have several lights at the corners ?

Re: How much light to I need ?

Here is a link that has tons of info on every aspect of growing. How to Grow Marijuana - Everything You Need to Know!

Member of the Month Winner - October 2012

Re: How much light to I need?

Quote Originally Posted by Diforce View Post
    Sorry new here couldnt find anything on FAQ or stickies ..

I built a wooden grow box with 4 cubic feet space inside. it is completly sealed ( exept exhaust and intake fans )

How much light do I need ? is there a formula ?

I ordered this kit :
    14 Watt Grow Light Kit - HomeGrownLights.com

only 14 watts , is that enough ? if not can I get some suggestions please ?
    For my application should I use LED or HID ?

- Should I Pad the interior walls with reflectors to reflect all the light in the box ?
    - how far should it hang above the plant ?

- should it be directly above the plant or is it better to have several lights at the corners ?
    total waste of money on that light.

general rule of thumb is 40-50w per sq foot of area.

seriously though, that light is nothing more than a frisbee.

thank you , I figured that light was BS , such a shame.
    anyway I plan on getting the Hydro grow 21X-PRO stick it inside a box and put Mylar film everywhere inside to maximize the light.

Are there any auto-watering systems that are cheap and doing the job ? I dont want to nanny the plant ...

Are there any auto-watering systems that are cheap and doing the job ? I dont want to nanny the plant ...

Auto pots are self watering gravity feed system with a valve to stem water flow when pot reserva is full, thats the easy option.

NFT, ebb & flow or dripper system which all in turn require a pump and reserva plus a nutrient change every 7 to 10 days & regular PH checking etc to prevent nutrient locks & assoicated problems.
    We are a culture fully immersed in the ideology that truth is what we see and what we hear. Yet we hire lawyers to manipulate truth, we hire PR and marketing firms to create truth, and we hire investigators and private detectives to uncover truth. The problem to which I am affected every day is truth in the cannabis industry.

Member of the Month Winner - October 2012

thank you , I figured that light was BS , such a shame.
    anyway I plan on getting the Hydro grow 21X-PRO stick it inside a box and put Mylar film everywhere inside to maximize the light.

I HIGHLY suggest staying away from that company. In fact, you would be FAR FAR better off with a 100w Advanced LED Diamond Series which uses 92w and will fit in 2'x3' area. In reality I would say a DS 200w. But that is a few more bucks.

In all seriousness though I would strongly suggest you take a look at this thread at an absolute minimum and learn a bit more about LED before you buy and blow good money on inferior products. There are some very good LED companies out there. Use this info and learn: Stevehmans LED guide.