Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: LED grams per watt

Nug of the Month Winner - March 2013 Member of the Month Winner - November 2013 Buckshot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: LED grams per watt

Quote Originally Posted by lenngray View Post
    You're alluding to the replacement costs of an HPS bulb?
    Even if I decided to replace the bulb every 6 months as some have implied was necessary, I just looked up a replacement for my 55,000 lumen 400W as $20.88 shipped, so you're talking about the 9 x that, to be added to the cost? What's the cost of fraud. And which manufacturers' lights are going to match the yield of the HPS? And who's gonna guarantee that we got the right one, if everybody is willing to testify to the lies?
    initial cost of lights and fixtures
    bulbs
    cost of electricity
    aditional cost of ducts and fans plus the electricity
    Almost double water for HPS

then figure yeild into it
    My journal

Budmaster II rocks the new MARL Osram panels... and a DIY LED adventure

Evolving feeding routine

when asked for an opinion on legalization...

"I don't think that will work. I mean, I hear the same debate. I hear it in my country. It is not likely to work. There is just too much money in it, and I don't think that—you can legalize small amounts for possession, but those who are making so much money selling, they have to be stopped."

-- Hillary Clinton

Nug of the Month Winner - March 2013 Member of the Month Winner - November 2013 Buckshot's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lenngray View Post
    You're alluding to the replacement costs of an HPS bulb?
    Even if I decided to replace the bulb every 6 months as some have implied was necessary, I just looked up a replacement for my 55,000 lumen 400W as $20.88 shipped, so you're talking about the 9 x that, to be added to the cost? What's the cost of fraud. And which manufacturers' lights are going to match the yield of the HPS? And who's gonna guarantee that we got the right one, if everybody is willing to testify to the lies?
    I thought we were talking about 1000 watt bulbs ... try $70.00-100.00 x 9 I just looked up a nice Hortilux HX66785 1000-Watt Super HPS Spectrum Grow Bulb and found it at a mere 72 bucks
    My journal

Budmaster II rocks the new MARL Osram panels... and a DIY LED adventure

Evolving feeding routine

when asked for an opinion on legalization...

"I don't think that will work. I mean, I hear the same debate. I hear it in my country. It is not likely to work. There is just too much money in it, and I don't think that—you can legalize small amounts for possession, but those who are making so much money selling, they have to be stopped."

-- Hillary Clinton

Well everyone is obsessed with GPW as they are with Lumens.

We beat the 1 GPW all the time but this is not a fair measureing system to use with all the varied lighting systems around at the moment.

We feel this should shift more to GPSQM - GPW, meaning Grammes per Square Meter or Grammes Per Week.

This also makes for a fairer representation of yield for different strains that have different growth periods to be measured.
    Budmaster LED

Power to the People

I am pretty sure the only way one could acquire 2G a watt from LED's would be if they use a light mover bar and did a fast double harvest / harvest the top buds lower the lights and mature the bottom scrag.
    I have Just bought my first LED lights and am currently starting a 5 plant grow in a 2x4x6 plywood grow box. pics to come at some point after the cute seedling stage.

Member & Nug of the Month July 2012 Member of the Month June 2014 Icemud's Avatar

Back to the main question of what HID and LED growers are getting in yield... Here are my results from all my grows.

The grows were all in the exact same growtent (a 2x4 hydrohut silver that measures 2.5'x5'x7'). Each grow featured 6 plants of various strains so a direct comparison is not really accurate, but more of a "trend" is visible with HID vs LED. Between each grow the soil has had minor changes as well as nutrients so again, this can not be used as a "scientific" comparison, however I do notice a trend of a equal or higher Gram/watt with LED vs HID...however yields are slightly lower under LED vs HID... if given equal draw wattage I think LED would have the edge...

Here are my results.

Grow 1: 1000w HID (400w CMH + 600w HPS) Total yield 574g or .57 grams/watt
    Grow 2: 1000w HID (400w CMH + 600w HPS) Total yield 547g or .55 grams/watt
    Grow 3: 1000w HID (400w CMH + 600w HPS) No Yield Data (Powder Mildew took over)
    Grow 4: 1000w HID (400w CMH + 600w HPS) Total yield 325g or .33 grams/watt
    Grow 5: 580w (400w CMH + Mars II 400w) Total yield 245g or .42 grams/watt
    Grow 6: 540w HID (3x Mars II 400w models) Total yield 308g or .57 grams/watt
    Grow 7: Under 300w (2x Intelligent Gro, GEN1, 180w each on dimmer) Total yield 191g or .63 grams/watt
    Grow 8: 3x Intelligent Gro, GEN2, 180w draw each, Total yield 367g or .70 grams/watt

Now like I mentioned, even though grown under similar conditions, there were too many variables that changed between grows to confirm this more than just a reference set of data.

I like the trend I see in your statistics , Nice to see the positive direction in the results.

the last LED grow harvest was using about 50% less wattage with a 25% higher gr to watt ratio.

Good Job Icemud.
    Icemud likes this.

my gpw went from circa 56 with HPS to circa 85 with LED - there is no question that LED can now exceed HID in this metric imo

Quote Originally Posted by theengineer View Post
    my gpw went from circa 56 with HPS to circa 85 with LED - there is no question that LED can now exceed HID in this metric imo
    nice , that's a 50% increase in the gr per watt , I hope to realize a 50% improvement in gpw's with my first led harvest. ( time will tell ) I will be using about 500w from two 432w panels for flowering.

nice; two Spider Cobs?

No , Some plain 144 x3w panels , black in color , oddly made or marketed by UFO.
    I won them on a auction 2 for $170 ( what a deal) I had bought a MarsHydro 300w old style panel a few weeks earlier , its on the seedlings now , it will be used for the "grow" light , the two larger LED's will be put to service in the 2x4x6 plywood cabinet for flowering while the first grow led starts a new batch.

Two months between harvest's , my afghan #1 are 7-8 week plants (likely 8)

The 2 lights are in route

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12