Best LED Grow Light for under $1000?

Get Vaped

Hi people,

I have done a couple grows using a Prakasa 300w LED... I have found it to be ok, but now I am looking to add another light and I have been reading that you have to spend a little more to get good quality LED grow lights. So I have seen the Magnum 357 plus. Has good results, but I am still very unsure of where to spend my money.

If any one with experience could shed some light on this I would be very grateful. Thanks

Hate to tell you guys this but lenses are counter productive for growth because it causes light to saturate specific chlorophyll paths in the plant while starving others. Not to mention it causes terrible shadowing under the leaves. If you're ever sat in a lawn chair on a sunny day for a few hours and got sunburn patches on odd spots that's what you're doing to the plant. Heavy air flow helps this...somewhat.

I'll also take multiple, smaller panels spread out than fewer, concentrated arrays.

Hate to tell you guys this but lenses are counter productive for growth because it causes light to saturate specific chlorophyll paths in the plant while starving others. Not to mention it causes terrible shadowing under the leaves. If you're ever sat in a lawn chair on a sunny day for a few hours and got sunburn patches on odd spots that's what you're doing to the plant. Heavy air flow helps this...somewhat.

I'll also take multiple, smaller panels spread out than fewer, concentrated arrays.

The lenses of the LEDs have nothing at all to do with chlorophyll saturation. That is done by having too much light in a curtain nm range. Having any overhead lighting will give you the same shading that you are referring to regardless of the placement of number of panels unless you de-leaf the plant. If the lighting is overhead and there are any leaves at all this will occur. The best option to combat this is by installing a light mover, however, it will still occur to some extent. Leaves will move out of the shadows of other leaves to get the light they need to some extent, but this usually isn't an issue.

The purchase of fewer smaller panels isn't an option in most cases. The manufactures don't make these smaller panels for a number of reasons. Multiple shipments, higher weight, higher per item cost, more piece parts, more drivers, smaller mixing of diode ability, and the list goes on. The normal grower doesn't have the time, knowledge, or desire to create these smaller panels for themselves and it's cost prohibitive for the companies to make them. The required knowledge to make a panel crosses at least 4 different fields of study that few people have or care to learn. If they are simply looking at other peoples DIY panels and trying to do it there is a large number of things that can go wrong, to include: shocking themselves with DC current, drilling holes in their hands, destroying hundreds of dollars in diodes and more.

There is some loss of photons in the optical lens but that amount is generally less than 15%.

I love reading you boys. Boys are not the best gardeners, I will tell you that, it needs patience and tender loving care. LED's are very good, they cut my electricity bill by 1/3 and I got bigger and better smoke.

As for facts and brands.........so much name dropping. Sponsored name dropping also.

Go LED, min of 200W (enough light coverage to equal my old 500W HPS but now I don't fret my house will burn down, for 2 to 3 plants. Secondary lower leaf exposure with low watt panels.

If you want more advice, PM me, and I will set the record straight.

Hugs and cheek to cheek, but don't grab my ass until I say. :Namaste:

I have very good results from one LED company, plus their prices for better units cost half of what other places charge on the net.
The reason I went with them in the first place.
What I like the most is they have a commitment to privacy and privacy policies. So, better unit, better result, better price, and private.

For a 360 Watt system, I got good light coverage for about 10 square feet. I used some small watt side CFL's. Did a good flush the last 10 days. LED's really cut down on the amount of watering I used to do. Got about 300 to 350 grams on each Cali Skunk, and about 90 grams for each Purple Kush. So, not max, but not bad. I use soil rather than aeroponics so that likely explains the max yield difference. I can't be bothered with the extra aeroponics work.

For me, good lighting is what gives good results. I'm going to buy a second light from them too.

Not sure if I'm allowed to put makers names on the site. Maybe an admin can let me know.

This should be a forum for discussion, not matter what brand you use. Good or bad. Let us know your experiences. If such a thing is censored, then that means it is not a true unbiased forum. Tell us the name Curly.

First time posting...

Yes, my wife is the ultimate gardener, her passion for a few decades.
Men (although we try hard) just don't have the same instincts and nurturing vibe.

Hunting for as much objective info as possible on L.E.D.s out now, as I'm building a couple of new rooms.
A bit overwhelming to sift through the hype, propaganda and opinion.

Currently looking at Advanced Diamond series and a few others.

ANY experiences you've had would be appreciated.

At this point, I'm thinking of just buying a smaller (V) light and a larger (B) one from 3 companies and just try them in my current set up, in hopes to get insight in time to make my purchases...

All the best,

from the Middle of NowHere, B.C. Kootenay mountain top,

G'day Get Vaped,
Whatever you do, do not go to Advancedledlights. In my dealings with them they have been nothing short of snake oil salesmen, and general rogues. Their lights sound superb. I know, I researched heaps before deciding to purchasing from them. Their business practices need a LOT of work. Little of what they claim on their website is accurate. I tried to cancel my order because of ridiculous answers I received to my inquiries. Then it just got worse and worse. Situation still not resolved, and I'm $600 out of pocket. I don't give a shit if they are a sponsor of this site. They are rogues. Pure and simple.

Regards,

Milly C

Well, I have bought several different sized units from a company in Canada, GreenLamp is the company and they make the DiamondBrites. They have been totally courteous, are the only ones that give a lifetime warranty. Which has to mean they stand by their product.

I have done two grows with their units and had a grow journal started, but 420 removed it because I mentioned which LED light company I use.............which is weird, cause if you read 420girls response on page one of this thread, there is no problem with normal statement of names.

I just like the fact they stand by their product, which is/was my only point in the grow journal, which was there to let people know the very nice results from SNAP hydroponics. Cheap and easy to do, and costs less even than soil.

Why doesn't someone make a thread: "which LED maker has the best warranty"?. Kinda like when made in USA cars gave two year warranties, and the Japanese gave 7 year bumper to bumper...............big market share went overseas too.........and those people still stand by their reliability also. Then the arguments over LED spectrum, or our LED is better than yours is defunct. It's like arguing that mandarin oranges are better than clementine oranges.

The argument over which LED is better does not help forum members. I would with reason and logic say: Most modern LED grow lights are similar and very good, because of the total general advancement in LED light science. The question then becomes which COMPANY is better with: customer support, trade-up program, and warranty..........because it is in those departments where you get your money's worth, and future moneys worth. Growing a garden is a lifelong passion for those of us that have a real passion and knowledge of it, and knowing which company also stands by your passion. Forget hype. Forget sponsor names. Customer support, warranty, trade-up commitment..........I think members and forum readers deserve to know who has the best in those facets of their equipment purchases.

Even compare all their websites, the sponsors of this site have chintzy websites. If they put low-class effort into their website design.........are they going to have any better design of their LED lights? I don't think so.

Lets not always argue the science........lets also know the passion, and who has the same passion.

Love and kisses to all.

None that I know of have a trade-up policy, which is unfortunate, but then what would they do with a stockpile of last year's model? I've been happy with Advanced (I've two DS-200s) and GSL, got quick prompt service from both, lights work fantastic.

I'll not go into huge detail, but Advanced amended their wattage values advertised for the DS-200 after I took photos that told a different story, so while Milly C may have had her fill of 'snake-oil' salemen, my experience was quite different.

Caveat emptor.

Peace,

:bongrip: - JZ

The video I've just seen, and I bet many of you have seen it too, of the results with the Pro Grow 500 from Hydroponics Hut is amazing! Two plants in a 4 x 5 space just explode with buds and wind up producing over ten ounces of super hi quality buds.
I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger and buying this, but have decided to go with the Pro Grow 400 instead, because it's a bit more in my price range. Anyone have any experience with either of these systems? New member here, thanks for a great outlet for info and moral support!

I would be skeptical of any light seller that gives that little info about their lights. They give no information about the spectra they use, diodes they use, ratios, not even a mention of anything regarding the light produced other than the energy savings. I'm not saying that it isn't a good product. I haven't used it, so I cannot give first hand knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom