Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Best LED Grow Light for under $1000?

Best LED Grow Light for under $1000?

Hi people,

I have done a couple grows using a Prakasa 300w LED... I have found it to be ok, but now I am looking to add another light and I have been reading that you have to spend a little more to get good quality LED grow lights. So I have seen the Magnum 357 plus. Has good results, but I am still very unsure of where to spend my money.

If any one with experience could shed some light on this I would be very grateful. Thanks

Blog Entries

Re: Best LED Grow Light for under $1000?

We are authorized resellers of the Advanced LED.

Check out there lights here, they have some great quality lights.
    Get 5% OFF awesome grow gear, coupon code: 420mag

PerfectGardens.com (420mag Sponsor)
    Most active sponsor, 420mag member for 5 years
    Questions? Email: joey@perfectgardens.com

Trying a Solarstorm 400 for the first time. Working pretty well so far.

I have grown with pro yield led grow lights for over a year I have had great success with them.
    Last edited by 420 Girl; 11-26-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Guidelines

Hate to tell you guys this but lenses are counter productive for growth because it causes light to saturate specific chlorophyll paths in the plant while starving others. Not to mention it causes terrible shadowing under the leaves. If you're ever sat in a lawn chair on a sunny day for a few hours and got sunburn patches on odd spots that's what you're doing to the plant. Heavy air flow helps this...somewhat.

I'll also take multiple, smaller panels spread out than fewer, concentrated arrays.

I have had great success with them I suggest you read this site and what they have to say about optical lens.
    Led Grow Lights - How led grow lights now rival Hps

420 Member

Quote Originally Posted by blasterman View Post
    Hate to tell you guys this but lenses are counter productive for growth because it causes light to saturate specific chlorophyll paths in the plant while starving others. Not to mention it causes terrible shadowing under the leaves. If you're ever sat in a lawn chair on a sunny day for a few hours and got sunburn patches on odd spots that's what you're doing to the plant. Heavy air flow helps this...somewhat.

I'll also take multiple, smaller panels spread out than fewer, concentrated arrays.
    The lenses of the LEDs have nothing at all to do with chlorophyll saturation. That is done by having too much light in a curtain nm range. Having any overhead lighting will give you the same shading that you are referring to regardless of the placement of number of panels unless you de-leaf the plant. If the lighting is overhead and there are any leaves at all this will occur. The best option to combat this is by installing a light mover, however, it will still occur to some extent. Leaves will move out of the shadows of other leaves to get the light they need to some extent, but this usually isn't an issue.

The purchase of fewer smaller panels isn't an option in most cases. The manufactures don't make these smaller panels for a number of reasons. Multiple shipments, higher weight, higher per item cost, more piece parts, more drivers, smaller mixing of diode ability, and the list goes on. The normal grower doesn't have the time, knowledge, or desire to create these smaller panels for themselves and it's cost prohibitive for the companies to make them. The required knowledge to make a panel crosses at least 4 different fields of study that few people have or care to learn. If they are simply looking at other peoples DIY panels and trying to do it there is a large number of things that can go wrong, to include: shocking themselves with DC current, drilling holes in their hands, destroying hundreds of dollars in diodes and more.

There is some loss of photons in the optical lens but that amount is generally less than 15%.

I love reading you boys. Boys are not the best gardeners, I will tell you that, it needs patience and tender loving care. LED's are very good, they cut my electricity bill by 1/3 and I got bigger and better smoke.

As for facts and brands.........so much name dropping. Sponsored name dropping also.

Go LED, min of 200W (enough light coverage to equal my old 500W HPS but now I don't fret my house will burn down, for 2 to 3 plants. Secondary lower leaf exposure with low watt panels.

If you want more advice, PM me, and I will set the record straight.

Hugs and cheek to cheek, but don't grab my ass until I say.

I have very good results from one LED company, plus their prices for better units cost half of what other places charge on the net.
    The reason I went with them in the first place.
    What I like the most is they have a commitment to privacy and privacy policies. So, better unit, better result, better price, and private.

For a 360 Watt system, I got good light coverage for about 10 square feet. I used some small watt side CFL's. Did a good flush the last 10 days. LED's really cut down on the amount of watering I used to do. Got about 300 to 350 grams on each Cali Skunk, and about 90 grams for each Purple Kush. So, not max, but not bad. I use soil rather than aeroponics so that likely explains the max yield difference. I can't be bothered with the extra aeroponics work.

For me, good lighting is what gives good results. I'm going to buy a second light from them too.

Not sure if I'm allowed to put makers names on the site. Maybe an admin can let me know.

This should be a forum for discussion, not matter what brand you use. Good or bad. Let us know your experiences. If such a thing is censored, then that means it is not a true unbiased forum. Tell us the name Curly.

420 Member

The names of companies (other than 2 that have been banned for good reason) is not an issue. Just don't post direct links to their sites or to other grow forums and you will be fine.
    Have a basic question about light? Check out this post.
    The basics of plant lighting.
    Don't forget to vote in the monthly 420 contest.

Hosebomber is correct. Names are fine, just no direct links or posting in a way to could interpreted as promotion.

First time posting...

Yes, my wife is the ultimate gardener, her passion for a few decades.
    Men (although we try hard) just don't have the same instincts and nurturing vibe.

Hunting for as much objective info as possible on L.E.D.s out now, as I'm building a couple of new rooms.
    A bit overwhelming to sift through the hype, propaganda and opinion.

Currently looking at Advanced Diamond series and a few others.

ANY experiences you've had would be appreciated.

At this point, I'm thinking of just buying a smaller (V) light and a larger (B) one from 3 companies and just try them in my current set up, in hopes to get insight in time to make my purchases...

All the best,

from the Middle of NowHere, B.C. Kootenay mountain top,

We have a few LED Sponsors to choose from Sponsors : 420 MAGAZINE

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagro View Post
    Trying a Solarstorm 400 for the first time. Working pretty well so far.
    Hello gonnagro, how has the Solarstorm performed for you thus far?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast