Concrete Seed

What is the best light cycle to use when plants are in the vegetative stage..?

24hrs LIGHTS-ON...?

or

18hrs LIGHTS-ON & 6hrs LIGHTS-OFF...?

I know some people say 24hrs on will just cost more and thats it, while others claim the growth is *MUCH* faster with a 24hr lights-on cycle. I also know others that claim *EVERY* plant needs a "rest" period to grow best.

CHEERS!
Concrete-Seed

Re: VEGGING Light-Cycle..!?

I prefer whats called the Gas Lamp Routine...for veg... 12 hours on, 5.5 hours off, 1 hour on, 5.5 hours off...You save a ton of money in electricity as well as the growth is explosive, the plants receive less stress and seem to promote flowers quicker... Overall I'm sold on it at its all I use for veg.

Thats def interesting. I'll have to look into it as ive never heard of that. It seems almost like a form of LST for the veg-cycle. Thanks for the info!

Cheers!

I returned to 24 hours after longer veg times with 18-6 or 20-4. Of course so many other things could have factored in... Icemud's idea is very interesting indeed, I think I will try that next time, which begins in a few short days...

Stick with the 24 hour LIGHTS ON 24 7 As far as cost use T-5 s and foget the cost of power. I mean you are basically growing GOLD why would you scrimp on a couple dollars woth of electricity. I swear some people go off too far on such a simple thing as growing a plant. Those old Farmers you drive by working the fields aint as dumb as they might look, Eh????

Stick with the 24 hour LIGHTS ON 24 7 As far as cost use T-5 s and foget the cost of power. I mean you are basically growing GOLD why would you scrimp on a couple dollars woth of electricity. I swear some people go off too far on such a simple thing as growing a plant. Those old Farmers you drive by working the fields aint as dumb as they might look, Eh????

farmers working in fields along the road are under natural sunlight so your comment actually makes not much sense man. Not trying to sound cocky or anything, but most landrace marijuana strains come from areas that never see much more than 14-16 hours of light at max...matter of fact its closer to 13-14 hours of light for most of the land that we occupy on earth with the exceptions of the polar zones. So anything more than 14-16 hours of light is really unneeded and can actually issue stress on the plants. Overall farmers are business men which need to produce to survive...so wouldn't reducing your overhead to profit more sound like a smart business decision in an indoor environment??? especially with no negative side effects, just as fast of growth and explosive flowering. ???

I personally, am not as interested in the cost/savings as much as i'm interested in the ability to grow incredible quality in the quickest time-period possible. That should be the goal of every grower, obviously... I use CFL & MH for my veg-cycle but I just wanted to see what other peoples views were on it and if they've had different/better results on different light-cycles.

CHEERS!!!

The Farmer in the field is growing weed in his basement silly. You might prefer to have 50 timers and 15 different chemicals coursing through your plants, all I said was that simple is best. I have never stressed out a plant from vegging 24/7, or at least one never asked for a break, and i do talk to mine at times. Take it easy. If you can provide scientific proof that another method is best, then most folk would follow you. Otherwise its just another opinion. This is a forum, not a lecture hall.

GLR takes 1 digital timer... 1 lamp...and with my last grow hitting a brix reading of over 22, (the highest recorded on the net) I would say that is plenty of scientific proof that GLR produces very high quality plants, with less energy, and in a short amount of time... so touche smart azz... and after 100,000 views and over 2,700 posts I think that you might want to pay some value to what I suggest. You may want to try it for yourself before commenting in an unknown realm....

I said I wasn't trying to sound cocky, but merrily show another option that could help save money as well as provide just as good of plants... I never said my way was the only way or the best way.. Its only an option that works for me... so hold your patronizing comments for your self and when participating in a community, be open to suggestion... :) this is a forum not a lecture hall :)

Why dont you grow more and post less. I think this forum would be better off. As my Mother always said "an empty wagon makes the most noise" 2700 posts dont add up to much if they are wrong. Guess I was wrong about this community, I wont be back, and if you listen to creeps like that, you will fail everytime.

Why dont you grow more and post less. I think this forum would be better off. As my Mother always said "an empty wagon makes the most noise" 2700 posts dont add up to much if they are wrong. Guess I was wrong about this community, I wont be back, and if you listen to creeps like that, you will fail everytime.

I'm trying to be peaceful bro...go smoke a few bongrips and chill man... I am suggesting a way that you might actually benefit from... this forum is about growing, growing better herb, growing as a person, growing in knowledge....I'm don't want you to leave because 420 magazine is an excellent community. All I am saying is be open to suggestion and don't bash other's ideas if you have never even tried them...

Grown with gas lamp routine...
DSC05556.JPG
DSC055911.JPG
IMG_20120908_093921.jpg
DSC055121.JPG
DSC05509.JPG
DSC05469.JPG
IMG_20121016_195053.jpg
IMG_20121106_234603.jpg
IMG_20121111_021802.jpg
IMG_20121123_183455.jpg
IMG_20121204_231722.jpg
IMG_20121210_191123.jpg
IMG_20121222_002614.jpg
IMG_20121222_002614.jpg
IMG_20121224_183937.jpg
IMG_20121224_183937.jpg
IMG_20121228_233648.jpg
IMG_20130106_190940.jpg

GLR & DLR

In the late 90's Reinhard brought back the gas lantern routine that you find in any college grade horticulture book, and applied it to cannabis. Cannabis needs only 13 hours to stay in the vegetative growth stage. The 18-6 lighting schedule in vegetation, actually stress your plants, that never get that much light in one-day outdoors. Cannabis is an outdoor plant. Growing indoors you should copy how it grows outdoors. No Cannabis growing in Afghanistan gets 18 hours of light in growth pattern. Most strains today have some part Indica in their genetic pool. Even equatorial strains don't get 18 hours of sun a day.

The 12-1 lighting schedule is as follows 12 hours lights on, 5.5 lights off, 1-hour lights on, 5.5 lights off, and repeat schedule. The 1 hour on in between off period fools the plants that stay in vegetative growth state! Your immediate savings are 5 hours in energy costs daily, as well as your bulbs and equipment lasting longer. But how do the plants react to this lighting schedule?

You see immediate growth response from your plants, they are happy from the added rest time. By day 14 the plants tripled in size. The plants are bushy with twice as many bud sites without topping or bending, In fact when you top and stretch your plants out, you get many more bud sites than you would have had under 18-6 using same procedure of topping and stretching plant, your growing bigger and better and faster.

12 - 1 light cycle gas lantern routine

So your saving 5 hours daily in energy costs, as well as your excellerated growth pattern which also saves you time and energy and equipment use.

In the flowering stage, never use 12-12, start your flowering period at 11 hours on 13 hours off. When your are growing outdoors each day you get less and less sun light, you should copy the way the sun acts naturally in your indoor grow. So first 2 weeks of flower you go 11 on 13 off, the next 2 weeks you go down to 10.5 on 13.5 off, next 2 weeks 10 on 14 off, next two weeks 9.5 on 14.5 off and the last weeks of flower you should be at 9 hours on and 15 hours off. You'll get bigger and better buds by copying the way the sun light works on cannabis outdoors.

Cannabis is an outdoor plant and you should copy the way it grows outdoors indoors. The only thing that 18-6, and then 12-12 lighting schedule's do is make the energy companies rich as well as the people who sell lights and equipment, the more you use the more you spend. 12-1 lighting schedule is a more natural way to grow indoors and you well have the best results you have ever had and save as much as 50% in energy costs.

Fuzzy-Duck: Thanks so much for the imput bro! Its MUCHa ppreciated! Ive heard ALOT of growers having problems with the "Deminishing-Light Cycle" because it causes plants to herms....? Any knowledge about this at all..?

CHEERS!!!

Fuzzy-Duck: Thanks so much for the imput bro! Its MUCHa ppreciated! Ive heard ALOT of growers having problems with the "Deminishing-Light Cycle" because it causes plants to herms....? Any knowledge about this at all..?

CHEERS!!!

Nope not had a problem yet ?

I only use regular seeds & clones which come from a regular seed female.

I'll have to take a look at DLR - hermie info with good ol research on the matter, to be honest its the first time i've heard of the problem !

SWEET! That'd be awesome man!!! Everyone legit that ive talked to used the 12-12 cycle and they all have warned me about hermin my plants with an "off" cycle during bloom. Haven't seen it myself yet but ya never know! haha!
Thanks for the input!

CHEERS MATE!

Everyone legit that ive talked to used the 12-12 cycle and they all have warned me about hermin my plants with an "off" cycle during bloom.

CHEERS MATE!

I'm not to sure what you mean by having an off cycle during bloom ?

Diminshing light routine is decreasing light over a period of time only & their no intermediate breaks in the cycle etc.

I use 11/13 for two weeks.

10.5/13.5 for another two weeks.

10/14 for another two weeks.

9.5/14.5 for the final weeks.

For an indica dominate strain of flowering time between 7 & 9 weeks.

GLR or the gas lantern routine has a break in the cycle tho, but i believe people where more concerned that the light cycle would induce premature flowering whilst vegging in this method of light timing !

A case book study of the GLR method was conducted on these very forums by twelve12 a 420 member of good reputation :thumb:

Here is a link to the study of GLR - The Gas Lantern Routine for Growing Cannabis

As far as i can tell or searched for there are no known case's of hermaphrodite symptoms using DLR or GLR & that if any such evidence exist ? one should question the nature of the seed that the plant was grown from aka feminized seed & strain type which may suffer with hermaphrodite tendencies & if enviromental stimulus is considored stressful to onset such conditions of hermaphroditism.

Well that looks yummy , have you see the fellow who grows with Christmas leds in a card board box , no kidding budgreen......

The 12-1 lighting schedule is as follows 12 hours lights on, 5.5 lights off, 1-hour lights on, 5.5 lights off, and repeat schedule. The 1 hour on in between off period fools the plants that stay in vegetative growth state

Notice this guy tells you to copy nature Ever see the sun shine like that above?

You know, this pot deal is not what it seems. We are so connected to these plants that they start feeding off our energy. If you think the above light cycle is good for your plants, they probably feel that. I say try what feels right to you, and that you believe in. Its hard for me to harvest my plants when its time. I have developed a relationship with them and know them all. If you are just growing to make a lot of money, well thats ok, but dont let your plants know. But oh yes, back to the point about time, do you reall think a plant has a concept about time, or that they need to "rest?" No, with my system, there is oneeeee longggg dayyyyy and then its time to start blooming.....They do know when the light changes and its time to do their magical thing. My shits pretty darn good, is yours????

And this herme thing, you know I cant grow a male plant to save my life??? Go Figure

I think nature would be cool w/ me reducing my carbon footprint... well i feel good about it @ least-- I'm going GLR if for no other reason than to see the results for myself... I'm betting the plants don't skip a beat & keep on vegging-- in which case I'll be dropping the use of the ol' 18/6 or 24/7 lite schedules by the wayside

Plants actually do detect time...its call circadian rhythm and they don't wait for light to know its day, but they anticipate the break of dawn because they get used to the light/dark occilations created by the sunrise and sunset....

Back
Top Bottom