My Fourth Generation DIY LED Lamp

Swami

LEDs have got a bad rap for many good reasons:

1. Marketers have over-hyped themm creating unrealistic expectations.

2. Chinese manfacturers cut many quality corners leading to premature failures.

3. The consumer was unaware of exactly what he was getting.

4. The rapid evolution of this fairly new technology (for horticulture) meant many trials and errors.

5. The components have been immmature and are still evolving.

Well, this is truly the year of the LED. Costs for cutting edge technology is still quite high as would be expected, but no longer will they take a back seat.

I am here to say that my 150 watt design will easily surpass a metal halide of similar wattage and probably that of HPS. I am a retired technician, manufacturing manager and hardware engineer with some 30 years experience, much of that up in Silicon Valley back in the halcyon days.

Not that this entailed any EE design as much as tons of research, proper part selection and many less than stellar experiments. I have access to no real equipment anymore nor a workshop, so this protoype is a little rough, but could easily become a production model with a small bit of polishing.

The word of some anonymous poster doesn't mean very much, so my next step will be to see if I can get some PAR readings against top LEDs as well as low wattage HIDs with accompanying photos and/or videos.

Here she is about 85% complete:

And with 2 of the 5 LEDs turned on:

HOLY GAMMA RAY BURST, BATMAN!

Even though those are wide angle and only 60 watts are on, it is near impossible to view directly without eye damage.

She will be putting out about 112 LPW with a nearly photosynthetically balanced spectral curve for a total of 16,800 lumens.

The E26 sockets are there in case I want to add some UV and far red in flower or ordinary CFLs for a bit more light, but are not necessary.

Thanks. Got it!

I have let them run for over an hour and the heat-sinks are not even warm - that's how much juice is going into making light. I am running these at 58% of max current. Could easily drive them at 80-85% max with no heat issues.

The LPW spec comes from the very reliable manufacturer. 4 warm white @110 LPW + 1 cool white @ 118 LPW. It is the only light measurement I have at this time until I can beg/borrow/steal a quantum light meter.

White_LED_curve.png

The warm white LED curve is for the 3000K. I used the 2700K which has the red curve spike centered at 640nm vs. the pictures 604nm.

I have grown with the predecessor to these putting out 74 LPW for three grows and averaged 0.85 GPW in my too hot & poorly vented grow space. (Extreme limitaions at this time.) These LEDs have 40% greater luminous flux so if yields are proportional might get almost 1.2 GPW in my area and much higher in a proper grow space.

This lamp is designed to grow from start to finish without changing for veg/bloom with the possible addtion of a UV CFL and a far red bulb for mid/late flower.

If we want to save power then:

Center cool LED on only for seedling & early veg.

Center cool LED + 2 warm LED for mid veg to early flower.

All five on for mid flower to finish.

Or leave all five on the whole time and merely adjust height.

As these LEDs are wide angle and run super cool, the lamp may be run from inches to a foot about the plant tops. They will not light-burn or bleach a plant like the arrays of narrow-angle, laser-like 1 & 3 watt red & blue diodes may if too close.

The drivers I have selected are expensive, but have a high efficiency and a lifespan of 70,000 hours. No cheap Chinese or E-Bay crap here.

Here she is bascially finished. (Need to build some reflectors for the CFLs.)

DIY_Lamp_3_005.JPG

DIY_Lamp_3_002.JPG

DIY_Lamp_3_007.JPG

Note the natural color of the plants. No 'too yellow' HPS or overly blue MH.

Ran her for three hours today with no heat issues or flickering. Everything came together nicely.

Will be starting a grow log soon. Will try to get some light readings next week to see if I hit the mark or am just dreaming about having the best 150w LED in existence.

Will also check the actual power draw tomorrow.

Hello Swami,

I am from Europe and I just discovered MJ about 3 months ago, when my step mom was diagnosed with cancer, and began chimo.
Since than I am throwing money at the dealer but now I want to grow my own, for my mom and for me :)
I got my 1X1X2 meters tent ready, and I plan to grow 2 plants per cicle. All I need now is a light I can use from seed till harvest. Money are not a big problem so I want LED's but I don't trust ready-panels on the market because some of them swear by them and some of them swear at them. You can't distinguish a manufacturer/seller from an actual grower on the forum.
So after reading much and not getting anyware, I decided to build my own. Since I'm not much of an technical guy, and I don't have a parts list, I decided to buy a custom light from a well known manufacturer in China, as they are cheaper and I understand they make grow lights for Europe and USA companies that sell them at double the price. They have the ******* series (100X3W is what I want to buy) that I can customize as I want, and this is where I beg for your help.

If you were me, what LED's would you pick? I mean worm/cold, wavelengths, ratio between them, angle of light etc. They say I can choose whatever I want, for no aditional cost. I don't want the perfect lights, I just want to grow a medium yeald, and not be disappointed too much.
Is there a better alternative for this plan?

Initially this was a PM, but since I'm not allowd PM yet, I posted here and I excluded the company that sells the light, and other info. Everybody, feel free to post your 2 cents. Only LED's are a option for me, and maybe CFL's , so please don't advice other type of lights.
Sorry for my bad english, and if I broke any forum rules...

Forget CFLs. If you want to go with fluorescents, then look into 55 watt PLLs or 4 foot T5s. Another option is the IndaGrow or iGrow 200 watt or 400 watt induction lamps.

As to manufactured LEDs, get reviews and grower feedback on the models you are thinking of getting. Be sure to get at least a 3 year warrantee.

Those induction lights are just really expensive CFL lights that are missing the red and far red spectrum. If you are in the EU look at the Hans panel. They are getting close to 2 GPW, use very little power and are fairly cheap but made with quality components. Shipping to the US on them is very high tho.

Thanks both of you for your answers.

I will go with Hans panel because I will skip explaining what is the light for at the customs office, and because I see only good plants under this panel.

I will do a journal on my country specific forum and copy it here and post a link on this topic.

@Swami: that spectra looks too green/yellow. I think you miss some photons around 350-450, and also a huge bump around 550-750. Might be i'm just misinformed though.

@vintage: care to start a journal for it? I'm really curious about hans'... Never thought you can go 1 gpw with 1 w leds.

i am a novice grower, but 15 yr conisour...i love it, i believe it very well may be the cure to many desease,and at the very least from having cancer, and going through chemo.I can say that it helped more than nyn of the expensive ,addictive high powered pain killers, and nausea meds. Plus it allowed me to eat an occasionally forget i was sick.Anyhow. I use cfls and split the two most common spectrums ,using 3/4 cool white and 1/4 warm white, for veg and flip it to 3/4warm white and a 1/4 cool white during flowering. anyhow. i want to make my own led lights, i need advice and your basic instructions. I know computers, but i am no engineer......im an ironworker....any help or advise would be greatly appreciated

Back
Top Bottom