CFL Efficiency- can it be increased?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just checking on my plants, and I started looking at my bulbs and how they're designed.

So I'm thinking about how I'm going to change things for the next grow, and I noticed the bulbs just emit light around all 360 degrees of the tubing. All the light being sent into the middle of the bulb seems to be somewhat lost and wasted.

Currently, my Lux meter says I've got a good amount of light on each plant, but when I remove those close "spotlights" and rely on the overhead lighting, the Lux meter reading is too low for my taste.

What would happen if someone were to use some high heat black paint on the inner 1/3 of each coil of the bulb?

Would this force the light to escape outwards?
Would this cause an excessive build up of heat and cause premature bulb failure?
Would it have no effect, and the light would just be absorbed into the black paint?
If the latter is the case, what if white paint was used?
Would it cause a build up of heat?

Why not just go and purchase a Wing reflector designed for CFLs? Believe me, I have 2 x 250 watt CFLs with the reflectors and am using those as supplemental lighting for a 400 watt HID. Those reflectors work like a charm.

I'm using the smaller CFLs at this time, and was just looking for a quick and easy way to increase output if it was possible.

If not, it's not a big deal, I need to redesign my cabinet/setup after this grow anyways, and will be moving it into a closet permanently.
Building a reflector would be easier at this point, since I have most of the materials to do so on hand.
But I'm also looking into HPS/MH upgrade (If I can handle the heat output in a closet) Or Taking the big leap into LEDs.

So instead of painting it black inside witch will not increase out side light at all. Use tin foil or paint cardboard white and put it in the middle to reflect it out.

ok I will just use maxlume light bulbs numbers for this point. Now a 200watt cfl puts out 17.600 lumens of light witch some is wasted by the shape of the cfl. Now a 250watt M.H 28.500 AND HPS 28.000 lumens. The freaking heat will be so close between the two. The sun gives 10,000 lumens of a varied spectrum. ... per square foot to a plant out side. Just some info. Happy Growing to you all.

The pop can was actually the first Idea that I had since the sizes were similar. But I ended up going against that idea, and I used some aluminum flashing to make a wing reflector, and just cut 2 notches at the bottom to wrap around the bulb, and made the notched section thin enough that the force of a zip tie could bend the flashing enough, that it sits between the bulb and socket slightly, so it won't slip off.

I'll take pictures in a little while. It's not even 5am, and I haven't had any coffee yet.

EDIT: Ok 1 cup down. Here's a couple pictures.

2014-03-30_05-11-16_45.jpg

2014-03-30_05-11-50_973.jpg

The diameter of the base is really close to the diameter of the bulb, so I gave it a slight outward bend so the reflector wasn't sitting directly on the bulb.

I just cut a simple square that would wrap halfway around when shaped as a wing, and then cut maybe 3"-4" in across the bottom on both sides to create 2 tabs that would wrap around the base of the bulb, without forcing the rest of the reflector to wrap around it. This tab is roughly 1/2"-3/4" wide. Then just wrap it around, throw a zip tie on it, and it's done.

You just have to make sure there is NO EXPOSED METAL between the fixture and bulb when you do this. The edges will also be sharp, so if anyone tries this, be careful, or use gloves. You can bend the edges over for an even more finished look if you're worried about appearance.

So that was my solution so far. I just wanted to see if it was possible to make them even better. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and ideas :)

I've got the wing style on the veggies. It has been a great improvement .I made the wing out of a heating duct, looks commercial and work great. gman:peace:

On that wing you made if you want to cover edge you can go to auto part store and get a package of the door strips. The ones that go on the edge of doors to protect it. you can cut them to fit very easy.

CO - that's a good idea. Mine has rolled edges .The edges were where the duct came apart. :high-five:

On that wing you made if you want to cover edge you can go to auto part store and get a package of the door strips. The ones that go on the edge of doors to protect it. you can cut them to fit very easy.

Usually I just bend the edges over with a 1/4" lip, but I'm mostly experimenting with things now, being my first grow. I was planning on trying a few ideas out, but now they're in there and working great, I'm just too lazy for that, to be honest.
The door trim is a great idea though, I've used it before for things, and some have an adhesive bead on the inside channel, and will stick real nice to anything you put them on. I'll definitely keep that in mind when I redesign my new grow area. Thanks for the idea!

(I'm mostly moving the grow area to be able to accommodate taller plants)

Antics - "moving the grow area"- is exactly what I did . I built a 2' x 3' x 5' grow cabinet that the duct wing in .Then I perfected great large bloom room . Both rooms are doing their jobs quite well ! I am considering on going to led for the Capn grow that will be coming in fall. Happy growing to all !:cheer:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom