Calling for All Design Types

HighCountry

So... here is the situation.

:nomo: Months of lurking in the different grow rooms.... watching..... listening..... getting brought back up to speed.

Its time for the first thread, should be a real hoot.

So here's the deal in Colorado for a Caregiver, in general.

6 Plants per/5 patients max(exception available)=150 sq/ft max.

So Far So Good!

Might be a good time to add here that I am a older fart at 51 and am being brought out of retirement to help some sick friends and associates who are aware of the old days. So fast forward to the here and now.....

So I am pretty good on nature... I think..... but technology..... Thats where I am seeking those who know.

Looks like the canopy will shape up to be about 6' x 12' or 6' x 15' - 8-10 plants depending - 3' x 3' canopies per plant. Courtesy of a Capt x Flux hybrid style. :high-five:

So Coverage is the big question on everybodies mind.... :hmmmm:

3 Big 1200 LED's -vs- 6 XTE 400's -- The cash outlay is similar, the coverage is comparable, maybe a slight edge to the elongated shape of the XTE 400 for control of light distribution, the diode makeup is similar by brand(not knowing specifics of course)

Any thoughts on how to achieve optimal results in the given dimensions?? 1 Long row of plants with 4x4 lids is just not quite feasible.... but 2 rows of 3x3's.... that can be done :riskybusiness:

Any thoughts are welcome....

Hey front row :)

who makes the 1200w panels? I know the XTE-400's use the latest diodes from Cree and OSRAM, and I've seen no other panels with the kind of spectrum control or intensity controls. also the led clusters are all modular for easy repair or upgrade. Led technology is growing in leaps and bounds so would be nice to just change the clusters over buying a whole new light. I'll be doing a journal dedicated to the new XTE series very soon. :)

Hey front row :)

who makes the 1200w panels? I know the XTE-400's use the latest diodes from Cree and OSRAM, and I've seen no other panels with the kind of spectrum control or intensity controls. also the led clusters are all modular for easy repair or upgrade. Led technology is growing in leaps and bounds so would be nice to just change the clusters over buying a whole new light. I'll be doing a journal dedicated to the new XTE series very soon. :)

Thanks for coming over! :welcome:

Not so much a 1200w panel, but more like the 1200XG from Budmaster... as a more applicable comparison.

2 of the XTE - hung lengthwise - just about = the wall wattage draw of the 1200XG - pretty close

Coverage is almost to close to call. I have not seen a PAR grid for the XTE so I cant make a call. But I think 2 XTE hung lengthwise may have an edge in "Core Coverage" given my 6' depth.

Thanks for coming over! :welcome:

Not so much a 1200w panel, but more like the 1200XG from Budmaster... as a more applicable comparison.

2 of the XTE - hung lengthwise - just about = the wall wattage draw of the 1200XG - pretty close

Coverage is almost to close to call. I have not seen a PAR grid for the XTE so I cant make a call. But I think 2 XTE hung lengthwise may have an edge in "Core Coverage" given my 6' depth.

I'm sure you'll get better core coverage with two panels over one.

Here's the Par/watt readings for the XTE-400

Advanced LED XTE 400: 16.85 @ 18" – 14.46 @ 36" – 12.31 @ 48"

also the Budmaster panel your talking about has older 3w diodes. XTE panels have 5w cree XT-E diodes driven at 3.9w and the latest OSRAM 3w diodes. :)

I don't want to sound like a broken record (like a lot of us LED folk do) but you do realise that the Budmasters are just the Evergrow Monster lights from China, which are about 30% of the price if you buy them direct...

Personally, i would never buy an LED from anywhere but China, it's where they're all made... but that's just my two cents :)

:welcome:

Broken record or not, that's what its all about..... Sharing opinions. Thanks Doozy!

Got any thoughts, from your point of view, on optimal coverage solutions for the given space?

also the Budmaster panel your talking about has older 3w diodes. XTE panels have 5w cree XT-E diodes driven at 3.9w and the latest OSRAM 3w diodes. :)

Little addition to this... the Osram Oslon SSL 150 and 80's are what many companies call 5 watts. They have a max drive current of 1 amp.

The problem with LED manufacturers is the ones who use the best quality top BIN diodes are expensive & not all expensive lights use top BIN diodes. Lots of companies just tell bare faced lies in their promo material so you need to be extra vigilant & don't get mislead by the sales patter or gimmicks.
Recent side by side grows by Ronnie & Crawdaddy have shown the TopLED reflector series, Advanced & Lush are virtually identical with the end product. The only big difference is the cost.
Platinum are a new sponsor here at 420 & they seem to be pretty good value compared with many 'high end' lights & use top BIN in theirs so they may be worth a look if they fit into your budget. Budmasters new fully kitted Osram GOD lights would be my choice if they reduced the price by half or more but if you're on a budget then Chinese are the obvious choice.
I've got 3 TopLED lights but they are only as good as the price suggests. I've looked through a jewellers loupe at the diodes & lenses, this confirmed they are poor quality but they do the job with little outlay so do represent value for money.
I'd love to see a multiple LED grow off between all the LED light manufacturers but unfortunately millionaire growers are thin on the ground so it will never happen.

:welcome: Hey! Thanks for stopping by.

The problem with LED manufacturers is the ones who use the best quality top BIN diodes are expensive & not all expensive lights use top BIN diodes. Lots of companies just tell bare faced lies in their promo material so you need to be extra vigilant & don't get mislead by the sales patter or gimmicks.

:hmmmm: Indeed, "be extra vigilant" Hopefully this thread will help identify that delicate balance point between cash outlay and quality achieved. There is undeniable value to reduced energy usage, reduced heat concerns, & longevity. Those benefits come with a front loaded cost.

Recent side by side grows by Ronnie & Crawdaddy have shown the TopLED reflector series, Advanced & Lush are virtually identical with the end product. The only big difference is the cost.

I had been following those and noting the differences throughout the grow. There is some good info in those logs :thumb:

Platinum are a new sponsor here at 420 & they seem to be pretty good value compared with many 'high end' lights & use top BIN in theirs so they may be worth a look if they fit into your budget. Budmasters new fully kitted Osram GOD lights would be my choice if they reduced the price by half or more but if you're on a budget then Chinese are the obvious choice.
I've got 3 TopLED lights but they are only as good as the price suggests. I've looked through a jewellers loupe at the diodes & lenses, this confirmed they are poor quality but they do the job with little outlay so do represent value for money.
I'd love to see a multiple LED grow off between all the LED light manufacturers but unfortunately millionaire growers are thin on the ground so it will never happen.

Here Here on the Grow Off!

There is fun to be had taking the old school and updating with the times. As long as the new can be equal or better then the results of the past, then .... by all means, Lets have an open mind and take a look.

G.O.D. Light.... yes. :adore:

:straightface: Unfortunately, while an adequately funded and equipped endeavor this will be, a government funded NASA Research grow, this will not be.

HighCountry

I have and use a wide variety of panels. All these folks are calling for side by side tests... I do this everyday 24/7! :cheesygrinsmiley: I am not a scientist, I am not a salesman, I am simply a grower. I use all my panels still though one is down for repair/replacement (an unmentionable panel :cheesygrinsmiley: yes unmentionable) There is a dramatic difference in say a Top LED reflector panel and even the first generation Budmaster. At this point the Budmaster and Budmaster II are my favored panels. By that I mean any plant getting special treatment or that I expect will be bulky I will put it under the Budmasters. Next favored panel is a small Helios panel... kicks butt for its size. Then the unmentionable panels. I have shit canned the Adjusta-clusta and the Top LED panels to the veg room as they don't have enough power/spectrum to flower properly. I am about to try the new clusters from Budmaster but that will be late for you. One thing I will say is every panel I have had to be serviced before its life expectancy was over with the exception of the Budmaster II and the Helios so whatever panel you get a long warranty would be nice to have. There are many folks growing successfully under a wide variety of panels right here. Check out the journals in progress. If you want to know how close you can grow to LED check ChronicHempHog :cheesygrinsmiley: Lush panels KingJohnC and so on. You can directly ask them questions... some won't see this thread so you will have to find them. Others can help me with users. Look for folks that have been around a while...

Good Luck

:welcome:

Broken record or not, that's what its all about..... Sharing opinions. Thanks Doozy!

Got any thoughts, from your point of view, on optimal coverage solutions for the given space?

Personally i think anywhere between 40-50w per square foot is optimum...but i take my readings from the actual draw so even with the claimed 2300w i have in my tent, with an actual draw of 1100w they still only end up producing 44w per square foot.

5x5 tent = 25 square feet
1100/25 = 44

I agree with what Skunny has said, money aside there are much better units than the Mars IIs, but pound for pound when it come to watts for your buck, they still out perform anything on the market (in my humble opinion).

Just had a look and the Monsters use 'Epistar' LEDs, dunno what Budmasters use but there it is.

Paul had posted this in another thread

Heres a quick pic of the real thing, gotta love the work that MARL do they are truly the one of the LED gods, they have been working iwth led since 1970 and do much work for high profile clients such as the UK and USA military.

Hey Buckshot! :welcome: Thanks for stoppin by.

HighCountry

I have and use a wide variety of panels. All these folks are calling for side by side tests... I do this everyday 24/7! :cheesygrinsmiley: I am not a scientist, I am not a salesman, I am simply a grower. I use all my panels still though one is down for repair/replacement (an unmentionable panel :cheesygrinsmiley: yes unmentionable) There is a dramatic difference in say a Top LED reflector panel and even the first generation Budmaster. At this point the Budmaster and Budmaster II are my favored panels. By that I mean any plant getting special treatment or that I expect will be bulky I will put it under the Budmasters. Next favored panel is a small Helios panel... kicks butt for its size. Then the unmentionable panels. I have shit canned the Adjusta-clusta and the Top LED panels to the veg room as they don't have enough power/spectrum to flower properly. I am about to try the new clusters from Budmaster but that will be late for you. One thing I will say is every panel I have had to be serviced before its life expectancy was over with the exception of the Budmaster II and the Helios so whatever panel you get a long warranty would be nice to have. There are many folks growing successfully under a wide variety of panels right here. Check out the journals in progress. If you want to know how close you can grow to LED check ChronicHempHog :cheesygrinsmiley: Lush panels KingJohnC and so on. You can directly ask them questions... some won't see this thread so you will have to find them. Others can help me with users. Look for folks that have been around a while...

Good Luck

I appreciate the time and tips. Having seen a few winters, I watch and read the grow logs and see wee lil things. They are quite helpful!!

Those of you who have given your time to others here is commendable, helping others with the learning curve. :goodjob:

Without a wee bit of help, this can be a long, frustrating, costly adventure....

I know, I did it before the internet back when you scanned :reading420magazine: old issues of "Ask Ed" for the answers to the lil nagging things.... :idea:

Ah, the good ole days. :rip:

Back
Top Bottom