Oh, which light to prefer

Well, I'm sort of at a lighting crossroads. Not really. I just can't make up my mind which light I want to save up for. To start, I have been using a dozen 23w CFL bulbs, for grow and for flower. I switch spectrum bulbs as necessary between stages of grow. I have been getting less than impressive yields for my grow, however, and I have come to the conclusion that if I add more or better light, I'll get more and better medicine. I haven't got money to get any lights right now, but I'm hoping that changes before the new year. Thermally, I don't think I could use more than 250w of HID lighting. I'd be fighting heat all grow with a 400w HID. I already fight heat during the summer with 276 actual watts of CFLs. I've also got 4 tubes (2x2x2') in there, with 12vdc ballasts, and an LED light from a fish aquarium that turned out to make algae grow in overdrive in-tank.

The choices I've been looking at include a 250w MH&HPS convertible system, with ballast, bulbs, basic refelctor, for a little over $150. A 240w LED grow light for about $300. Homemade DIY LED setup, for about $200 in parts.

Right now I've got $21 to my name, and that's pretty much the norm, after medicine costs. To get any lights, I've got to hold back on buying medicine, as it's the only thing I buy that really costs me. So getting any of the lights, I'd have to save up for, and go without medicine for a couple months, at least. Anywho.

My grow space is about 2'd*3'w*6'h. That's about 36cuft, with 6sqft of floor area. So far I've grown, at best, 3 plants at a time.

I'm posting this to look for advice, based on my options, and maybe ideas I have not considered. :thanks:

My current setup
SAM_16091.JPG

Man Ill tell ya,that plant looks great,for the setup you have,that girl is nice and healthy

topping is your friend in that size of area,

the 250wt is that the hood ballast in one?? if so they get hotter than hell.

I have another suggestion for you ...

If you could scare up another $50, you could get a TopLED 60x3 watt UFO, old style, while they're on sale for $71 shipped. It runs about 110 watts, so you could hang it in the middle and replace 6 23watt CFLs - less power, much greater effect.

Then go from there, if/when you get more funds.

:cheesygrinsmiley:

I like that LED booster. May look into in a month or so, or as soon as I can. Funds are extremely limited. I have loads and loads of top-end bag seeds, and purchased seed, though. Will consider seriously. Is vendor a sponsor? I'd look now, but too stoned after medicating with Afghanikush.

For $30 more, upgrade to the beast I'm using: LED Grow Light 100x3w - Mars Hydro

It's a beastly light, and strong. It has been causing my plant to throw out tons and tons of new growth, and new branches. Some nodes have 4+ fan leaves and branches coming out.

Best $100 I've invested in my grow so far, and uses less than half the power my CFLs did.

Oooooo, I REALLY like that. How's the packaging it arrives in? Discreet?

Ahh, very cool. Put my mind at ease. I think I now know EXACTLY what I'll be ordering VERY SOON. :D :thanks:

:Namaste:

Price is right, and I'm becoming more and more interested in LED, mostly because of heat. Cheers!

masterkeif

will the light that Anitics recommended work for you??? given your ,height,space requirements??(remember that led like to be up high).Do some research.if the light will work for you.I will buy it for you.but you WIll have to give them your shipping addy.

PM SENT SMOKESARA

dude, if you topped that plant in veg, and had an even canopy instead of the big cola, you'd improve yield by being able to get the lights right down on top of the lower buds - also, TwiglightLED have a 50% discount offer on at the minute;

50% Discount on 11 Grow Lights to Celebrate 11/11

if they're sold out, then TopLED are the obvious alternative; get a UFO unit in there to supplement the CFLs and you'll increase your yield for sure :peace:

Theengineer---out of the list from twiglight led,got a recommend that would work in this guys environment???

I sent them an email,to see what was still available.

well, the UFO is incredible for the dollar, and would make an excellent supplemental light

for a replacement, that would see all CFLs removed, the TLG-05-C looks like a perfect fit :peace:

Back
Top Bottom