400W Magnetic Ballast questions

dave1989

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 400w ballast which says "For High Pressure Sodium or Metal Halide lamp with external superimposed ignitor"
There's two slots to insert wires, one say 450v, the other 4mm².

My question is, do I still need more things, or is this ballast and the reflector enough? And how do I wire it?

Ow2sqaC.png

Take a clear pic of wiring schematic ,
I have never seen a magnetic ballast that will fire both
Not saying it doesn't exists but need more info to answer your question
:Namaste:

Learn something new every day,

The first pic is your terminals,where you would land power
As dutty said you need 220v or 2 phases from your panel a double pole breaker is required I can't tell you what size as the pic is blurry and I can't read amperage

Once you know the correct size breaker
You can land 1 hot leg under one term screw
Then the other hot leg under the other
Should be a green screw close that is where your ground goes if not there just attach ground to the metal casing with a self tapping screw or nut and bolt
Good luck
:Namaste:

Looks like it says 4.5 amps just unclear

If that is the case I would run #12 wire to it from a double pole 20 amp breaker from your panel

Hi, it says 4.5A, you were right there.

I'm still finding it difficult to get what you mean, could you maybe explain it to me in a simpler fashion? Sorry to inconvenience you. From what I gather, I need to go buy a double breaker, connect it to the mains, then, what exactly? I'm not quite getting what you mean by hot legs, etc. Also, if the ballast says "with external superimposed ignitor", does that mean I need to BUY an ignitor, or that the ignitor is already part of the ballast?

I'm completely in the dark here, as I don't know any electricians and I have basically no electrical knowledge.

Hi, it says 4.5A, you were right there.

I'm still finding it difficult to get what you mean, could you maybe explain it to me in a simpler fashion? Sorry to inconvenience you. From what I gather, I need to go buy a double breaker, connect it to the mains, then, what exactly? I'm not quite getting what you mean by hot legs, etc. Also, if the ballast says "with external superimposed ignitor", does that mean I need to BUY an ignitor, or that the ignitor is already part of the ballast?

I'm completely in the dark here, as I don't know any electricians and I have basically no electrical knowledge.

No problem
You need to add the ignitor for it fire the HPS at least that is what I see from the drawing

By hot legs I mean a hot or A phase from the panel or 1 wire under 1 screw on your breaker
And the other wire on B phase or the other screw on your breaker
Should be # 12/2 on a 20 amp 2 pole breaker
Hope that helps

Alright, so from what you can see, all I'm missing is an ignitor, and a double breaker?

Would you say my final result should look something like this?
hps_mh_wiring.jpg

I'm a complete newbie at this, and I'm starting to think I may need to consult a professional. Do you guys think your average electrical shop that sells the double breaker/ignitor required would be able to explain it to me easily if I brought it in?
Or, if I have to call an electrician, what would be the best way to go about it without raising suspicion?

I was trying to get a setup together for as little as possible. Naively, I found this ballast online for considerably cheaper than anything else so I ordered it thinking it would be as simple installation. I was wrong.

We have all been there in some way or another.

Before you purchase anything else check out some product reviews here or ask what people are using.

A grow journal is a great way to get a idea of what you may like. Check out mine or anyone's for that matter and plan your build accordingly.

Unfortunately, I'm in South Africa, where grow equipment isn't so cheap, and I've already spent more than I wanted to. I'm intent on finishing this, but I can't see it being cheaper scrapping my current ballast and buying a magnetic one.

Back
Top Bottom