Ideal lighting choice and quantity of light for a 9' x 5' grow area

hydromania

Input for the best lighting choice for a 9' x 5' grow area for maximum yield ..
6 x P600 LED 's was what I was thinking ...
All brands, shapes and sizes ??

Surely someone has an opinion on which lights and how many should be placed into a 9' x 5' grow area.. Come on 420 subscribers

Are you limited to LED only? Id think about running 4x1000w HPS in a size like that w/ a nice large footprint hood. Or 5x1000w even.

Lots of people recommend the MarsII LED especially for larger areas as LED can get pricey. I would say that 6xP600 for 9x5 would not be enough. Everyone is different though and will have multiple suggestions I am sure.

So you have 45 square feet youre dealing with. Going with just the minimum "requirement" for recommended watt/sqft of 50 lets see how it goes.
P600 Wattage:
Bloom Power: 368*6=2208watts/45sqft= 49.067 Watts per square feet
Grow Power: 184*6=1104watts/45sqft= 24.5 Watts per square feet
You wouldn't be using you're grow space to its MAXIMUM potential but thats still a lot of wattage.

Is 50w per square ft a the minimum for L.E.D as well? Is it true wattage from the wall or wattage or the light fixture ?I've never used L.E.D's before but I'm sure you'd be inclined to used them at full capacity to get the full potential of the light.

So you have 45 square feet youre dealing with. Going with just the minimum "requirement" for recommended watt/sqft of 50 lets see how it goes.
P600 Wattage:
Bloom Power: 368*6=2208watts/45sqft= 49.067 Watts per square feet
Grow Power: 184*6=1104watts/45sqft= 24.5 Watts per square feet
You wouldn't be using you're grow space to its MAXIMUM potential but thats still a lot of wattage.

I think you've got your numbers mixed up. I am referring 9ft x 5ft not 9m x 5m ...

Are you limited to LED only? Id think about running 4x1000w HPS in a size like that w/ a nice large footprint hood. Or 5x1000w even.

Lots of people recommend the MarsII LED especially for larger areas as LED can get pricey. I would say that 6xP600 for 9x5 would not be enough. Everyone is different though and will have multiple suggestions I am sure.

So if you are supposed to use this as a guide :
- 30w minimum per sq ft HID Lighting
- 40w medium per sq ft HID Lighting
- 50w optimal per sq ft HID Lighting
-150w optimal per sq ft CFL Lighting

- ???w optimal per sq ft LED Lighting (From the wall wattage? / LED wattage?)

Well, I know in a 4 sq ft area I have 275w of LED and its being outproduced 3:1 by a 1000w HPS in a 6 sq ft area. I think your numbers are low personally.

I really dont believe manufacturer claims based on my 5 week experience with the LED. PLED (and not knocking the product, its a GREAT light) claims that a P450 = 600w HPS so in theory 2 of them should well outproduce a 1000w HPS but everythin I have seen so far has said otherwise.

There are so many claims out there. I personally haven't grown with LED yet but have had great success with 1000wer's .. I'm looking to change because of less heat , no bulb change outs and less power used .. I just cant seem to find any data on the minimum/maximum LED requirements PAR/Wattage to be used per square foot.

There are so many claims out there. I personally haven't grown with LED yet but have had great success with 1000wer's .. I'm looking to change because of less heat , no bulb change outs and less power used .. I just cant seem to find any data on the minimum/maximum LED requirements PAR/Wattage to be used per square foot.

Look into DLI or Daily Light Integral. This is the proper way to look at light for plants no matter what source. You should find what you are looking for.

So if you are supposed to use this as a guide :
- 30w minimum per sq ft HID Lighting
- 40w medium per sq ft HID Lighting
- 50w optimal per sq ft HID Lighting
-150w optimal per sq ft CFL Lighting

- ???w optimal per sq ft LED Lighting (From the wall wattage? / LED wattage?)

I have three, 4 x 8 tables (SCROG) with two 600 wt HPS over each of them.
So, the single table numbers look like this:
1200 watts covering 32 sq feet. That's about 37 watts per sq foot and I'm pulling 3.5 lbs off of one table.

I figure that if I put in 1000 wt lights I will get more ... but the question is: How much more? I am increasing my electricity consumption by 40% (not counting additional AC) if I go to thousand watt lights - will I get 40% more product? (That's an extra 1.5 lbs) Somehow, I don't think so. For HPS lights, I think that the 600wt is the best bang for the buck.

I am looking into LED's also. My electricity rates keep going up and I have to do something.

I lost a tooth last week and I've been putting it under my pillow every night hoping that the tooth fairy will bring me a Mars light for a test. Nothing yet. Only the very old and the very young lose teeth ... but the tooth fairy only works for kids I guess.

~ Auggie ~

You are pulling 1.3g per watt on HPS? Seems unheard of to me..... Not saying you are bullshitting but 1.3g per watt is extremely high for HPS. Even 1g/watt is extremely good. You are 30% higher than that.

You are pulling 1.3g per watt on HPS? Seems unheard of to me..... Not saying you are bullshitting but 1.3g per watt is extremely high for HPS. Even 1g/watt is extremely good. You are 30% higher than that.

Yea, well it does depend on the genetics. The last turn was UK Cheese and we got 9 lbs. The best I ever did in that room, and it was a struggle, was with a Big Bud x OG. The damn things were PUSHING THE GRATE up that I was trying to train them with. I think they'd of taken over the room if I'd of turned my back. (Ever see the movie "Little Shop of Horrors"?) These were all Alpha females - kind of like a group of biker babes. I had the three 4 x 8 scrog tables with eight plants each on them, AND four plants that I let grow to about four feet in some bright corners of the room. I would turn them every day so the plant would get as even a distribution of light as possible. The buds off of those plants were understandably lighter and smaller -- but they were extras anyway - and we pulled just a tad over 10 lbs. out of there that turn. Each of those four plants prolly put out about a quarter lb each - but you shudda seen the colas on these bitches. Donkey dicks. Seriously. And sticky as hell.

I use EVERY square inch of my garden. If I see light hitting the table, or the ground, I want to put a plant there.

I don't keep pictures or records (old school paranoia), but I wish I'd of taken a pix of this grow.

I have been getting more than a gram per watt out of that room for a long time now. I think I got it figured out - and that's why I'm being so cautious about changing anything.

Know what I mean?

~ Auggie ~

I use all Mars-Hydro Lights, A space that size would rock with 6 mars11- 900 watt. Great coverage and penetration

I was actually considering the Mars 700. Each one covers a 4 x 4 area - so two would do 4 x 8. The problem that I see with the 900 is that it costs more, and, it pulls the same as a 600wt HPS. I wouldn't be saving any thing. Sure, I'd get more bud - but would it be worth it? I really want to REPLACE the 600wt lights - not improve them. And, the 700 does just that - and saves me about 25% in electricity consumption not including air conditioning (which could be a lot more savings). If it produces the same or similar weight - I'd be happy.

~ Auggie ~

Input for the best lighting choice for a 9' x 5' grow area for maximum yield ..
6 x P600 LED 's was what I was thinking ...
All brands, shapes and sizes ??
I own two P300's very high quality lights and bright. I would say 6 P600's would work fine. You would get a very good yield.
In fact I think in that space your plants would be saturated with light.

Back
Top Bottom