Fighting the Cold temps - Running LED + MH/HPS for the Heat

Jedthedog

This cold weather we have had in the southern US recently has really had me on the run keeping my grow warm. Currently the outdoor temp is anywhere from 0 to 50 degrees with it leaning toward the below freezing during this Ice storm that we are now experiencing.
In an unheated garage that is insulated I have a 5 x 5 Gorilla tent with a 8 foot ceiling running 2 Mars Hydro 144 x 3 reflectors and a 600 watt air cooled hood with a 6 inch variable speed fan.Also inside the tent we have a electric heater with a thermostat.
The temp in the unheated garage has stayed at about 40 degrees, with the temp in the tent running from 68 to 76 depending if the lights were on or not. I was able to achieve these temps by balancing the heater temp in the tent along with turning down the fan speed on the hood in conjunction with the heat from the MH/HPS and the led lights.. OH YEA THE PLANTS ARE LOVING ALL THIS LIGHT. Hope this info will help someone and not leave them totally confused ....

Re: Fighting the Cold temps .. Running LED + MH/HPS for the Heat.

I don't see how it's possible to maintain a low temp of 68 F inside the tent, when the garage temp is 40 F. I would think after 8-12 hours of lights off, the temperature inside the tent will equalize with the temperature outside the tent.

How are you maintaining proper temperatures during the dark period?

This cold weather we have had in the southern US recently has really had me on the run keeping my grow warm. Currently the outdoor temp is anywhere from 0 to 50 degrees with it leaning toward the below freezing during this Ice storm that we are now experiencing.
In an unheated garage that is insulated I have a 5 x 5 Gorilla tent with a 8 foot ceiling running 2 Mars Hydro 144 x 3 reflectors and a 600 watt air cooled hood with a 6 inch variable speed fan.Also inside the tent we have a electric heater with a thermostat.
The temp in the unheated garage has stayed at about 40 degrees, with the temp in the tent running from 68 to 76 depending if the lights were on or not. I was able to achieve these temps by balancing the heater temp in the tent along with turning down the fan speed on the hood in conjunction with the heat from the MH/HPS and the led lights.. OH YEA THE PLANTS ARE LOVING ALL THIS LIGHT. Hope this info will help someone and not leave them totally confused ....
This could not work with out the heater inside the tent..

Ahh gotcha. I totally missed that part. Thanks man!

Good job then, this should help someone out there. Could you share some specs of the heater? wattage rating, BTUs, something like that so folks in a similar situation will know what they need to purchase?

0 to 50,, Oh My God, it's a heat wave. It was -42 just a few miles from here night before last without wind chill. I am also running a heater, a little stanley on a thermostat as well, even in the basement with my LED setup. That's the best a guy can do other than getting a bottle gas heater to run on a thermostat. That way you could also use some CO2. My heater only turns on when the lights are on low for cloning, but it's there just in case. I haven't seen 50 since November I think.

Here's an idea, throw some old blankets over your tent to help keep your heat in there until it get to 60.

Here's a couple fun things to do at -42. Take a cup of boiling hot water outside and throw it in the air. Puff into steam, non of it should hit the ground, and if it is does, it will be frozen little drops. Then find an old type can of 30 weight oil, open one end with a can opener, and poke a hole in the other end to let the air in, and slide it out. It will stand there and quiver like jello.

Ahh gotcha. I totally missed that part. Thanks man!

Good job then, this should help someone out there. Could you share some specs of the heater? wattage rating, BTUs, something like that so folks in a similar situation will know what they need to purchase?

This is the heater that we run in the tent ,hope to upload some pictures in a bit.. BuyDig.com - Lasko Cyclonic Ceramic Heater with Electronic Control & Built-in Thermostat

You can see the fan that I use in the left hand corner.

IMG_35415.jpg

blankets, old sleeping bags, even an old tarp. It sure will not hurt to up the insulation of your grow tent, and it should be something you already have laying around. Keep in mind, more insulation will keep your plants warmer longer if the power goes out.

Back
Top Bottom