HPS vs LED

Scarfinger68

I am using some harvest numbers from Doc Bud's journal Doc Bud Tries The G8 450 LED From Dorm Grow!

As a small home grower I just upgraded from CFL to HPS. But I have also been looking at the LED lights and prices. Also I have been looking through some LED journals and I see somewhat of a trend. It seems like some people are really exited about their new LED and they portray an excitement that would make you think that LED is kicking HPS's tail.

I am not trying to put any blame to anyone and especially not to Doc Bud. He is a quality grower and I respect him. I am just to lazy to get numbers from everyone who has done a side by side... which seems to be hard to find.

I am going to do some calculations and then make some conclusion of my own. I just hope that this post encourages other to do their own research and make educated choices.

Numbers generated from Doc Bud's journal:

LED: (352w total)

G8 450 power draw 280w + G8 Flowering BOOST power draw 72w = 352w
1 plant in 3 gallon pot
Harvest (28.3 x3)+3= 87.9 grams / 352w = 0.25 g/w

HPS (1000w total)
2 plants each in 7 gallon pots
Harvest “just under 6 oz. each plant” ((28.3 x6)x2)-4 = 335.6 grams/ 1000w = 0.34 g/w
*the (-4) is an estimate for the “just under 6 oz. using -2 grams as “just under” for each plant

So to me I don’t exactly see how the LED "uses far less energy"
“The LED plant yielded just over half that much, but did so with far less energy use”.

That statement is only true if you looked at the total watts used of 352w compared to 1000w. But the HPS had better efficiency at 0.34g/w compared to the LED at 0.25g/w.

If you take into consideration the watts used by fans and air conditioning units then the HPS may come close to the 0.25g/w range which would take a total of 1342.4 watts used by the HPS system, (HPS+fans+air conditioning). So it would take an additional 342.4 watts by the HPS system to perform g/w as low as the LED.

Things to consider.
1. If the LED was grown in a 7 gallon pot it would of done better increasing the g/w number
2. Maybe a 600w HPS light could have been used decreasing watts used and increased the g/w number
3. in the end this is only anecdotal evidence and more grow experiments are needed.
The expression anecdotal evidence refers to evidence from anecdotes. In cases where small numbers of anecdotes are presented, there is a larger chance that they may be unreliable due to cherry-picked or otherwise non-representative samples of typical cases

Start up cost:
HPS:
$100 reflector + $100 balast + $60 bulb + $100 fan = $360 + replacing bulbs ever 3 grows or so.

LED:
Compared to $600 LED + $100 fan = $700 lasting 50,000 hours.

I am looking at this on a small scale home grower perspective:

In conclusion I am not saying LED isn’t worth your money or that HPS is a waste of money. To me it comes down to money and what you can afford to start with, and also your personal preference.

It may be like buying a new car outright (LED) or leasing a new car (HPS) because you can’t afford the down payment to buy the new car (LED).

The one thing I don’t generally agree with is the excitement that growers portray when using LED lights. It sounds like LED is blowing away HPS but by breaking down the numbers (which is kind of hard to do without side by side clone grows) I would say LED is almost as good as HPS or maybe = to HSP at best.

I would like to say in closing that one day I will probably buy an LED.

:thumb:

Man, that's a lot, good for you for laying it all out....I compare LED/HID to smart technology versus old technology. Ten years from now i doubt this conversation happens. I guess it's my point, just like ten years ago my mother swore she'd never shop online,, like you bet she does.

Technology takes time to implement, and perfect. I'm about a week into my LED's, and I'm not lying, I'm not selling you shit, but, I love them.

You upgraded from CFL to HID,, go look at Sweet Sues grow with CFL only where she got quit a few zzzzzzs. Why not stick to CFLs,, they produce,, if you can.

I think, genetics, environment, and growing skills make more of a difference then lights.... plenty people can't grow Jack with HID. And the same can, and will be said about LED.

Man, that's a lot, good for you for laying it all out....I compare LED/HID to smart technology versus old technology. Ten years from now i doubt this conversation happens. I guess it's my point, just like ten years ago my mother swore she'd never shop online,, like you bet she does.

Technology takes time to implement, and perfect. I'm about a week into my LED's, and I'm not lying, I'm not selling you shit, but, I love them.

You upgraded from CFL to HID,, go look at Sweet Sues grow with CFL only where she got quit a few zzzzzzs. Why not stick to CFLs,, they produce,, if you can.

I think, genetics, environment, and growing skills make more of a difference then lights.... plenty people can't grow Jack with HID. And the same can, and will be said about LED.

The main reason for me to go from CFL to HPS was to increase my grow space from a 2x2 space with 8 CFL lights to a 4x3 space with 1 light. True I could have made CFL work if I really wanted to, change 10 to 15 light fixtures and then figure out how I would hang them...

OR just buy 1 HPS light, ballast and bulb costing $260... Or spend $1099 to $1200 on an LED that would have the same g/w efficiency as the 600w HPS.

A study published this June concluded that “the most efficient HPS and LED fixtures have equal efficiencies, but the initial capital cost per photon delivered from LED fixtures is five to ten times higher than HPS fixtures.” Yes that’s right, they measured light by the photon; pretty intense right?

Another interesting finding in the study is that light quality is much less important than light quantity. While light quality will govern certain aspects of plant metabolism, it has a small effect on photosynthesis, which is the most important driving factor in plant development. While this goes against what many LED grow light manufacturers have to say about their products and the wavelengths they put out but, the fact remains that HPS lights are still the workhorse of the indoor cannabis industry, and for good reason.

I am honestly not saying LED is bad in any way. Just the up front cost is too much currently. Cost will most likely come down in the future as it gains in popularity.

The main reason for me to go from CFL to HPS was to increase my grow space from a 2x2 space with 8 CFL lights to a 4x3 space with 1 light. True I could have made CFL work if I really wanted to, change 10 to 15 light fixtures and then figure out how I would hang them...

OR just buy 1 HPS light, ballast and bulb costing $260... Or spend $1099 to $1200 on an LED that would have the same g/w efficiency as the 600w HPS.

I am honestly not saying LED is bad in any way. Just the up front cost is too much currently. Cost will most likely come down in the future as it gains in popularity.

A 4x3 space isn't going to cost you 1200 to light with LED's. Well it could, but you can do it for much less. But ignoring the reduction in expense when making those comparisons is a bit unfair.

Anyway, you cpuld probably do it for two huny with cfls.

Technology is always more expensive on the front side of the curve. A desktop today runs a couple hundred, with massive storage, and incrEdible speed. .

My first desktop out of the USMC back in the day was 1500.

If that's the price your debating I can see why you'd have concerns. Like I said, ten years from now.....

Check out the two grows in my signature. Much higher efficiencies than the ones you referenced.
Also lights can be had cheaper. My 260w lights are only $350 each...

Cool OttawaGreen. I will stop by

You sound like someone with experience running LEC. I don't care how many times I have to suggest it, for a small grow it's the best option available. For a large grow several.

LEC lighting? never heard of it. Something good came from this tiring debate :) New knowledge :)

OttawaGreen is killing it with his LED's

Actual watt draw (260w)x2 : (28.3 x14) x1 gram for just over = 397.2 / 520 = 0.76 grams/w which is awesome!

I believe the key is good yielding plants and aggressive training. Need to make flat panels of weed for the best use of the lights.

Agreed. 0.76 g/w is an accomplishment. Everyone puts the 1.0 g/w up high on top the mountain with rays of light shinning on it But in my personal opinion... anyone growing 0.5 g/w or higher is an accomplished grower using skilled grow techniques.

Thanks for sharing your grow!

Me myself... I am just an average grower around the 0.3 g/w range.

A 4x3 space isn't going to cost you 1200 to light with LED's. Well it could, but you can do it for much less. But ignoring the reduction in expense when making those comparisons is a bit unfair.

Anyway, you cpuld probably do it for two huny with cfls.

Technology is always more expensive on the front side of the curve. A desktop today runs a couple hundred, with massive storage, and incrEdible speed. .

My first desktop out of the USMC back in the day was 1500.

If that's the price your debating I can see why you'd have concerns. Like I said, ten years from now.....

Old models MarsHydro doing the job for me..... I just ordered 2 more 300w for a 2x4 and both for under $150 to the door.
Day 16 money maker under a MH 300w ....140w actual and betting this goes at least .6/watt
IMG_20150615_004028.jpg

Semper Fi :)

OttawaGreen is killing it with his LED's
Actual watt draw (260w)x2 : (28.3 x14) x1 gram for just over = 397.2 / 520 = 0.76 grams/w which is awesome!

I believe the key is good yielding plants and aggressive training. Need to make flat panels of weed for the best use of the lights.

Agreed. 0.76 g/w is an accomplishment. Everyone puts the 1.0 g/w up high on top the mountain with rays of light shinning on it But in my personal opinion... anyone growing 0.5 g/w or higher is an accomplished grower using skilled grow techniques.

I just watched an impressive video on LED vs. double ended HPS and LED did much better. It seemed like a legitimate comparison side by side grow. The LED light cost $2,849 each and used 650'ish watts compared to the 1025'ish watts by HPS. It basically came down to PAR levels.

I hope I am not violating any rules by posting the name NoCalGrow. Just do a search and you should find it.

I am sorry for beating this horse to death but for me I have learned something. LED can produced better g/w than HPS. PAR is probably the most important factor other than light spectrum.

Going to rock my HPS for a few grows and then one day try LED.

I just watched an impressive video on LED vs. double ended HPS and LED did much better. It seemed like a legitimate comparison side by side grow. The LED light cost $2,849 each and used 650'ish watts compared to the 1025'ish watts by HPS. It basically came down to PAR levels.

I hope I am not violating any rules by posting the name NoCalGrow. Just do a search and you should find it.

I am sorry for beating this horse to death but for me I have learned something. LED can produced better g/w than HPS. PAR is probably the most important factor other than light spectrum.

Going to rock my HPS for a few grows and then one day try LED.

Don't be sorry, you helped people by the level of discussion.

You can't lose by brining up a concern for discussion here. believe me, I thought long and hard...long and hard. And OGs breakdown was a big factor, I watched good grow, he pulled great plants

Sure. .the upfront expense is there,,, the big question is the ROI.

??? Sometimes you gotta pay to play....

I think it's there,, ten years from now I think I'll be happy I leaped now,, because by then I'll be more willing to leap on the next wave... might be a tweak to the current LED's. Or a revamp. Who knows. .I never thought ten years ago I'd be sitting on my hopper, on my smart phone, talking to you over the internet about lights for medical marijuana..enjoy the visual ;)

Those of us using eshine and they guys using Mars hydro are happy and cheap. $300 lights are not expensive.

The other secret to my high Yield is agramover :cool:

Yah, seriously considering a mover,,how much closer do you think you were able to get them, and was that the biggest advantage,, getting the lights closer?

Biggest advantage is covering more area more effectively with less light.
Closer is brighter, but different angles of light hitting plants is better too as the shadows move so light hits more parts of the plant than stationary.
When I first bought the two eshine lights as shown in my chocolope grow journal (the second one in sig) I had them mounted stationary sideways and coverage of the 2x4 cabinet was ok, but not as bright at edges. Turned them 90 degrees and put on mover and now all parts of the plants get bright light. Moved that setup to the new 2x6 cabinet and still plenty of light. Critical kush gets light bleach and canoes leaves if too close. Adjustable shelves help me adjust different plants to different amounts of light.
Hope that helps!

It does, especially the part about what to look for when they are too close,, that's spot on for me right now! Thank you!

I switched to LED simply for peace of mind. HPS is hot! Not AC needed hot, but burn down the house hot! I couldn't care less about gpw because 1) 6ozs per year will take care of my wife's needs and 2) I have no trouble paying the power bill. IMO... HPS = volume and LED = quality. I'm not implying HPS don't grow healthy plants or LED doesn't yield. Its just what I've seen. There are a few tricks to LED (little higher temps help, lighter fertilizing, lighter watering, less flushing,,, etc..). Read some journals from a few years ago on HPS and you can see the step change growers made. It seems when the growing community mastered HPS, LED takes off and we apply the same technique. It's going to be a while before LEDs are figured out. Keep it green!

Back
Top Bottom