1st Grow PC Grow Box LED - Question

Medguy

Hi guys,

I bought a Cooler Master Cosmos II PC case for stealth grow.

Dimensions on the case are : H x W x D // 27.70" x 13.50" x 26.10"

I plan to grow 3 plants in 1.5-2gl pots.

AutoFlowering strains - 60% sativa /20% ind/ 20% ruderalis- but low on height.

My Question is>

I think I can fit a P300 Platinum with no problem at the top of the case. I am just not sure if it would be an overkill. I mean, I want more W, so that light can penetrate as much as possible in that enclosed space and benefit from LST as well, but I read about bleaching in the leaves if to near to the lights.

I was wondering if I LST the hell out of them and scrog them so that they'll be at least 3-4" from the LED, will I be able to prevent bleaching or stressing the plant.

Will the P150 be a better choice? will it impact my yield?

thanks again for the help guys, glad to be here.

Are you using a PC case for stealth reasons? I see you mention that but there are multiple definitions of "stealth". LEDs do put out some heat. I think you might have some trouble managing the temps in such a small container. You'd need exhaust and probably intake fans as well. If odor prevention (stealth?) is necessary, you'll have to consider a bigger exhaust fan. You could get creative and turn an adjacent file cabinet into a fan housing, muffler, filter,,, setup. I bet you could make a LED setup work but 6 23w CFLs, cords, and splitters will set you back about $30.00. I'd start there for a run or 2. Very little risk in it and cfls can grow some nice plants. Pick up your LED in a round or 2 after you manage the "stealth" part. If you do buy an LED, you can't go wrong with PLED.

Are you using a PC case for stealth reasons? I see you mention that but there are multiple definitions of "stealth". LEDs do put out some heat. I think you might have some trouble managing the temps in such a small container. You'd need exhaust and probably intake fans as well. If odor prevention (stealth?) is necessary, you'll have to consider a bigger exhaust fan. You could get creative and turn an adjacent file cabinet into a fan housing, muffler, filter,,, setup. I bet you could make a LED setup work but 6 23w CFLs, cords, and splitters will set you back about $30.00. I'd start there for a run or 2. Very little risk in it and cfls can grow some nice plants. Pick up your LED in a round or 2 after you manage the "stealth" part. If you do buy an LED, you can't go wrong with PLED.

Yep, its for stealth. Odor I have it under control with a DIY carbon filter that was made by Teriyaki in another post. Many have used it before and say that it works 100% for odor control on PC cases or cabinets.

For temps, I will have a good airflow inside the PC, 1 intake fan 120mm, 1 for recirculating air inside pc, and outtake fan with DIY carbon filter. Plus PC will be in my room with AC on almost 24/7 so temps should be OK.
Also I think the Cosmos II ultra tower case is excellent to control High Temps if necesary, its such a massive Case!

I just wanted someone to put me in the right direction and tell me if maybe ill be pushing it and probably burning my plants with p300 and even p150 inside a PC case.

Doing more research I found out that LEDs that use Lenses have a more direct and powerful penetration and at really low distances from the canopy it could definitely burn them. So now I am inclined to buy LED lights with no lenses. Platinum and advanced seem not to have an option without the lenses.

I was taking a look at "Lighthouse Hydro Flowering LED Grow Light, 90-watt", Lighthouse Hydro BlackStar Flowering LED Grow Light, 135-watt or 100W LED Grow Light Lighthouse Hydro BlackStar 100 Watts Flowering

Whatever I do I will be buying two of them since I have 25" long of space at the top of the case and this UFO LEDs direct the light straight and centered from what i've researched.

Now am wondering if (2) 135-watt Blackstar would be and overkill, and I think not. More potent bud, more yield with good LST and scrog? Their actual wattage is 85W per lamp. So I think in that space 170W wont be bad and being 2W per led I have a better chance of playing with height without worrying to much about plant burns like I would with LenseLEDs.

Can someone help me confirm if this sound right? or am trying to make a hole in the water?

thanks again for your help.

-Medguy

Dead on with the lenses and burning/bleaching. I can't comment on the black star but the 2w sounds interesting. I have used Platinum with great success (and some bleaching). With LST, scrog, etc.. In a case 27" tall, penetration is probably not going to be a factor with any light source of appropriate color. You may want to consider where these panels vent too as well as every inch will matter. Since penetration isn't an issue, ask yourself what you think will be the best quality of light you can put in there. If you still think it's LED, you're on the right track with no lenses (or 120), lower wattage bulbs, and upper watt limit of 200ish W. I think more low watt diodes are the way to go with no lenses as you won't have much room for light to blend. Either way, I'd love to follow along. True stealth PC grows are inspiring. Good Luck!

Dead on with the lenses and burning/bleaching. I can't comment on the black star but the 2w sounds interesting. I have used Platinum with great success (and some bleaching). With LST, scrog, etc.. In a case 27" tall, penetration is probably not going to be a factor with any light source of appropriate color. You may want to consider where these panels vent too as well as every inch will matter. Since penetration isn't an issue, ask yourself what you think will be the best quality of light you can put in there. If you still think it's LED, you're on the right track with no lenses (or 120), lower wattage bulbs, and upper watt limit of 200ish W. I think more low watt diodes are the way to go with no lenses as you won't have much room for light to blend. Either way, I'd love to follow along. True stealth PC grows are inspiring. Good Luck!

Hi thank you for your comments.

I think am inclining for the 135W Blackstar UFO's since they are at least 6 band with UV 380nm which I've researched helps with potency for the buds.

There is a very famous post by Teriyaki if you want to see it. I am inspiring my build on more or less the setup he put together.
It yields him about 90g!!! total from all the plants inside the PC, which for me is more than enough since its for personal medicine.

You can google "PC grow case guide" and the first link ""HOW-TO" to build a 100% working/stealthy PC-Grow-Case ~ AN" is his. Its a very interesting journal and if you haven't seen it before I recommend you take a look at it and his other grow as well (i think 6-8 plants inside de pc ). I took the DIY carbon filter idea from him as well.

Am still researching for 1W diode UFO which could help me even more prevent burn/bleach. The 90W Lighthouse Hydro UFO I mention above has 1W diodes, but I want more W!!! hehe. I'll keep the research and keep posting the updates.

I will be making a PC journal with the new build, i'll be sure to post the link when I do so.

thanks again,

-Medguy

I would try using the MarsHyrdo reflector series 96x3watt leds. They've got a "grow" switch or "veg" switch for veg'ing your plants with some low watts (actual draw about 80-100watts) then when you're ready to bloom, you the turn on the "bloom" switch with more reds and let it finish under the same light, little hassles of changing out bulbs in your stealth area. I started in a 2.5'x3' grow closet with the mars reflector 96x3watt and was so happy the the result I then went ahead and ordered the 3'x3'x6' tent combo with MarsII 700. It just got here last week and is bright as heck! Pretty good bang for your buck is what I'm getting at...and no i ain't no sales person. I didnt even get a discount on mine! LOL! Should've ordered before getting medicated! Lol! oh well...next time. Anyways, the reflector series puts out very little heat if any at all. I've got my 96x3 hanging about 12-14 inches above my 30 day olds (in veg.) and its working great! Close internodes- about 1/2"-1" between nodes. Lights of new growth, I'm happy anyways. You may want to ask around a lil more though. Main thing is do your research. Thats what we all should do before rushing out to purchase any grow hardware! Also check out the 420 mag sponsors...and then match up those products with the grow journals and/or forums using the advanced search..this website is great for that! Just joined in recently but been lurking for a long time. If you do go to marshydro- look for SmokeSara on this site. She'll help you put an order together pretty quick and usually answers all questions...if not will at least find out for you. Good Luck...and good growing!

I am not sure a p300 will even fit in a computer case if I understood what your plan is. I would think a p150 would be more than enough. I just finished a closet grow with a P300 with excellent yield and resin development.

Back
Top Bottom