HPS is better than LED

Re: Scrubbys Rare Darkness - Rare Dankness #1 x Grape Ape in Doc Bud's Kit

Your plants look great and healthy! Those buds would be bigger than the size of your finger if you had a HPS in there! That little LED cant keep up!!! Oh wait.. No LED can ever keep up... :laughtwo::laughtwo::laughtwo:

Mornin Nitro....your kidding right??? Look at my Desfrans under LED's. I've grown for over 25 yrs. with HID's...and let me tell ya LED's are here to stay and they rock ....and will only improve over the next few yrs. Once again .go over and look at my plants grown exclusively with LED's. See what I mean Nitro! What ya think now? :blunt: This whole thing that leds are not as good as HID's is complete Bullshit! Go look ....go on ...go look at mine!

Mornin Nitro....your kidding right??? Look at my Desfrans under LED's. I've grown for over 25 yrs. with HID's...and let me tell ya LED's are here to stay and they rock ....and will only improve over the next few yrs. Once again .go over and look at my plants grown exclusively with LED's. See what I mean Nitro! What ya think now? :blunt: This whole thing that leds are not as good as HID's is complete Bullshit! Go look ....go on ...go look at mine!

duggan, You plants look great! I did a quick review of your grow journal to gather some information. Its seems, unless you have changed things, you are running around 800+ draw wattage in your grow area. Retail price of close to $2000 worth of lighting. I dont want to start a debate or bash anything you are doing but these numbers dont add up for me. Your grow is a great example of LED's and that they just cant perform with the wattage they draw. You are actually using a lot of draw wattage unlike most! Thats why your buds are so much bigger than most that use LED's!! I still just cant see spending that kind of money for a product that produces half what a HID setup does. I produce buds twice or more the size of yours with one plant under my 600 watt HPS... 612 draw wattage cooltube package which cost $145... Not only are you drawing 200+ more wattage than me i dont think your grow will pull more than 400-500 grams of final weight cured. Thats only .5 grams per wattage... which is very low. These are all assumptions from my experience and what I see in your grow. Every grow I see with LED's is the same. You get what you put in. The more wattage the more bud. I just have never seen a LED that can produce big, heavy buds that equal the wattage put in. If you had 800 + wattage of HPS your colas would be double the size they are now. Just my two cents. Lets see a month after you harvest!!!

Im curious as to how your buds will look after a 5 day hang dry comparison. Would you do a test for me? Can you take the biggest cola you have once you harvest and take pictures of it. Let it hang dry for 5-6 days depending on bud wash or not and then take the same picture for a side by side picture comparison? This test will show how airy the cola really is.

Im curious are you sponsored by any of these companies or have you received any kind of discount on these LED products to "test"? If you grew with HID's for 25 years then you should already know the difference. The price and production between the two is almost a no brainier... for me it is anyway.

Let's all agree to agree with me...

Your plants look great and healthy! Those buds would be bigger than the size of your finger if you had a HPS in there! That little LED cant keep up!!! Oh wait.. No LED can ever keep up...

Sometimes quality comes before quantity, but what do I know?

420 Magazine's Nug of the Month - July 2015

From my first harvest, I present Bubblelicious Auto #1:

IMG_72554.JPG
IMG_7255_2_.JPG

Best of buds to you all! :Namaste:

"Bazingha!" :cheesygrinsmiley:

He does have a point, Hunter ...

After all, we're growin' trichs, aren't we? Who needs all that plant stuff on their trichs? :laughtwo:

duggan, You plants look great! I did a quick review of your grow journal to gather some information. Its seems, unless you have changed things, you are running around 800+ draw wattage in your grow area. Retail price of close to $2000 worth of lighting. I dont want to start a debate or bash anything you are doing but these numbers dont add up for me. Your grow is a great example of LED's and that they just cant perform with the wattage they draw. You are actually using a lot of draw wattage unlike most! Thats why your buds are so much bigger than most that use LED's!! I still just cant see spending that kind of money for a product that produces half what a HID setup does. I produce buds twice or more the size of yours with one plant under my 600 watt HPS... 612 draw wattage cooltube package which cost $145... Not only are you drawing 200+ more wattage than me i dont think your grow will pull more than 400-500 grams of final weight cured. Thats only .5 grams per wattage... which is very low. These are all assumptions from my experience and what I see in your grow. Every grow I see with LED's is the same. You get what you put in. The more wattage the more bud. I just have never seen a LED that can produce big, heavy buds that equal the wattage put in. If you had 800 + wattage of HPS your colas would be double the size they are now. Just my two cents. Lets see a month after you harvest!!!

Im curious as to how your buds will look after a 5 day hang dry comparison. Would you do a test for me? Can you take the biggest cola you have once you harvest and take pictures of it. Let it hang dry for 5-6 days depending on bud wash or not and then take the same picture for a side by side picture comparison? This test will show how airy the cola really is.

Im curious are you sponsored by any of these companies or have you received any kind of discount on these LED products to "test"? If you grew with HID's for 25 years then you should already know the difference. The price and production between the two is almost a no brainier... for me it is anyway.
Ok then....Nitro... In your calculations on amperage draw you forget to mention the most critical factor when comparing LED's and HID's.You must also factor in the draw and cost of extra cooling using HIDS. Before using my LED's in this same GR, I was using one 400w MH for veg . , then at bloom would add one more 400w HPS....one big problem....major problem....in the summer months I couldn't add that extra 400 w HPS to the show....way too much heat . Don't forget Nitro as well, I only run the Budmaster 2 675 xg by itself for veg . then at bloom time I throw on the additional two g8 240 w (blooms) and the two g8 all red 90w , ufo's.
To your question of sponsorship....no , this is all me ...no help from any company! When I made the switch to LED's I found the amperage draw to be so much less than the HID's I could add more led's to bring the wattage up to approx. where it was with the HID's., so any savings in hydro was lost with the addition of the extra leds. I was not concerned with the hydro cost as long as I kept it the same or less than the HID's. I wanted as much lite in there as I could get. The beauty of LED's is that I added all the lights I could fit in there and still have NO heat issues and no extra cooling is needed. I agree with you on why my buds and colas are larger than most cuz of all the extra light I have in there.Don't forget as well, they're in 26 gal. pots too, which makes a big difference as well. According to Budmaster web site, I should only need the 675xg in there , but I know it wouldn't be enough to get these colas like this. All my grows have big buds and colas due to all this light .
To your question of airiness in the colas ....these colas are rock hard and only the back plant is a lil fluffy due to it being a diff. pheno., but it's coming along just swell. I disagree with your assumption of yield with this crop. My GR record for this room is 25.5 z's. (MK-Ultra) for two plants. This crop of Desfrans will for sure beat that amount ....I'm expecting upwards of 25-30 z's. and may even go over two pounds. This will be dried and cured weight. This is for three plants. To me ...and believe me I've grown a lot of diff. plants indoors over the yrs. and these amounts are staggering to say the least and I'm stoked at the prospect of pulling that amount from my lil ol grow-room!
Cheers Nitro.
Hey Scrubbs , sorry to cause this BS on your thread pal! We need to shoot the breeze a little .....got to get to work now...have a great day my friend!:Namaste:

Re: Let's all agree to agree with me...

Sometimes quality comes before quantity, but what do I know?

420 Magazine's Nug of the Month - July 2015

Yea guess i dont know what quality is since growing with HPS... :straightface::hmmmm::dreamy:

021804.jpg

0221041.jpg

Thanks for the info duggan! I use a 440 CFM inline fan and cooltubes on my HPS. Summer months i get a temp rise of about 6 degrees using two 600 watts. Cant wait to see your harvest!

My dog's bigger than your dog. Just sayin'. :rofl:

Re: Let's all agree to agree with me...

Yea guess i dont know what quality is since growing with HPS... :straightface::hmmmm::dreamy:

021804.jpg

0221041.jpg

Thanks for the info duggan! I use a 440 CFM inline fan and cooltubes on my HPS. Summer months i get a temp rise of about 6 degrees using two 600 watts. Cant wait to see your harvest!

Very tasty lookin nuggets Nitro. No question HID's grow great weed. Always did for me too. Right behind my back plant,..on the floor behind the circ. fan, lies all my Mag. ballasts and HID hoods. Still have em. I just really like using LED's now...too many perks. I have thought of firing up a 250w. HPS in the winter though ...just for the added heat as well as some real nice additional pars. Think i'm gonna bring a duct from my furnace this winter ...these LED's run so cool. Hopefully they last !Oh ya , my harvest...i'm startin to get a lil ansy over it....gotta wait for that back plant though. Cheers gang :high-five:

It's all fun and games until somebody gets their dick chopped off...

Those are some beautiful nugs, Nitro. Meant no offense, just trying to play Beelzebul's advocate. Not to mention, my hubris is kind of thru the roof at the moment.

There is no doubt HPS grow great bud, but the benefits of LEDs (in my situation) far outweight the drawbacks. At work, we started using LEC (Light Emitting Ceramic) lights instead of HPS. The harvests are smaller, but the bud is top notch and as frosty as the Rocky Mountains. Not to mention cooling costs are way down, and we harvest way less "larfy" bud than with HPS.

Really it's all just fun and games here on 420 mag, right?

Since we're on the topic of measuring our dicks, I mean "plants", here are a few photos of my Papayas still left to harvest:
IMG_74512.JPG
IMG_7451_-_Copy.JPG
IMG_74525.JPG
IMG_7452_-_Copy.JPG
IMG_74543.JPG
IMG_7454_-_Copy.JPG

Na-na, na-na, boo-boo! :loopy:

Damn MS - that's some tasty looking Papaya! :goodjob:

I have both HID's and LED's. Very soon I'll have only LED's.

why? Because they work better! I can hang any lite I wish to hang. I can make the temps anything I wish to make them.

I demand quality and the LED delivers the quality at a lower cost. Being only semi-stupid I decided to go with LED for indoor gardens.

Now, that all may very well change once I try the double enders!

Re: It's all fun and games until somebody gets their dick chopped off...

Those are some beautiful nugs, Nitro. Meant no offense, just trying to play Beelzebul's advocate. Not to mention, my hubris is kind of thru the roof at the moment.

There is no doubt HPS grow great bud, but the benefits of LEDs (in my situation) far outweight the drawbacks. At work, we started using LEC (Light Emitting Ceramic) lights instead of HPS. The harvests are smaller, but the bud is top notch and as frosty as the Rocky Mountains. Not to mention cooling costs are way down, and we harvest way less "larfy" bud than with HPS.

Really it's all just fun and games here on 420 mag, right?

Since we're on the topic of measuring our dicks, I mean "plants", here are a few photos of my Papayas still left to harvest:
IMG_74512.JPG
IMG_7451_-_Copy.JPG
IMG_74525.JPG
IMG_7452_-_Copy.JPG
IMG_74543.JPG
IMG_7454_-_Copy.JPG

Na-na, na-na, boo-boo! :loopy:

GOOD LAWD! :bravo:

I have both HID's and LED's. Very soon I'll have only LED's.

why? Because they work better! I can hang any lite I wish to hang. I can make the temps anything I wish to make them.

I demand quality and the LED delivers the quality at a lower cost. Being only semi-stupid I decided to go with LED for indoor gardens.

Now, that all may very well change once I try the double enders!

join me on the inside of the sun, i'm ronery,

Back
Top Bottom