Set up for 4x8x7.5 grow room

Just me41

Hi all,

As you can see from the title, I am totally new to growing. Please don't get frustrated with me, I know I am going to sound dumb as hell, but I have no idea what to use for lighting (600W 100W or more), carbon filter, fan, ect. I am the kind of person who smoked a joint every once in a blue moon, so I am not very skilled AT ALL. The reason I am asking is, my daughter (16) has Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, in 5 months they have not gotten it into remission. After much research I am going to try Rick Simpson oil. I bought enough for the next 3 months, and will figure out how to come up with the last two months, but, I need to set up a grow tent and harvest about 1 pound every 2 months to keep her on it (if it works).

Does anyone want to please tell me all the correct components to use. I know I need carbon filter, fans, humidifier, light with cooling hood, (things like that) but I don't know what size of carbon filter, or how much light, ect. I live in an area that if I get caught I am really screwed. Any help anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi Just me41, Hope your daughter gets better.

I've lurked through here for a year or so and finally signed up. From my little experience I would say you want 16 sq feet of flower area for a pound every other month (or 2 separate 2x4 tables, etc...) this would work if you are using an 8 week flowering variety with a good yield

Personally I would sugest 2 separate 2x4 tents for flowering with LED lights to reduce the temp from climbing. Also starting with Dirt as it is more forgiving than a hydro set up for us newbie indoor farmers.

Read up on lighting Lots of good stuff, including the 12-1 light schedule

Personally it is taking about 3 weeks for cloning, 3 to 4 more in dirt for veg then into the 4x4 table with a 600 watt HPS. My yields are about 12-14 oz per table of AK47 extreme, and we are just trying out the Strawberry Ice which seams to be slightly more as we are just finishing the first grow with that. I am putting about 16 plants in 2 gal airpots per table. If I increase the lighting I would get better results so I just purchased a MARS II 1200 LED (reviews here on this site) to see how things go. I have a heat problem with the HPS which isn't easily fixed. I also have 2 advanced platinum 300s and am very happy with their performance. Another problem we had starting out was PPM and PH. I can highly recommend getting the Blue Lab meters. If PH gets out of wack or PPM the symptoms are similar to nutrient deficiencies and other causes. Our water has a PH of 8.3

I don't have an odor problem, country setting with lots of open windows during the day and the AK47 doesn't smell like the "evil weed" common to this area. There is however lots of good info here about filters and Ozone generators.

On LEDs. Right now MARS is offering a free tent with LED purchase on their website. Total cost was less than the light alone on Amazon.
Fan wise, I would guess one to remove air from the tents, and a different style to move air within the tent and shake the plants up (strengthens the stems) , usually oscillating with variable speed.

Good luck but I bet you wont need it.

Hi Wolpertinger, thank you for your help!
I can not afford LED lights so have to go with hps. I am not sure but I think 1000w should be enough? The reason I am doing a 4X8 is because I have to harvest 1 pound every two months to keep making the oil (if it works), and from what I have read I will be lucky to get 4 g out of a plant every 2 months. The 4x8 area is to have enough space to grow the amount needed. I am starting from seed and growing white widow, purple kush, and crown royal. I am going to also set up a veg tent for clones and veg. Thank you again for your help, I am very grateful.

Hello Just Me

I don't have experience with HPS, but I don't believe a single 1000w HPS is enough to cover a 4x8 area, I think you would need at least 2 600w HPS lights for that area. I am not sure what HPS setups cost, but I think if you were to consider the extra cooling required with HPS, you will find the Mars Hydro M2 900w LEDs are comparable in price and produce much less heat.

I am not even sure you can produce 1lb every 2 months in an area that size with photo period strains as most require 7 to 8 weeks or more just to flower not including time to grow before switching to flowering. It might pay you to talk to growers here with experience in auto flowering strains. They can be grown from seed to harvest under the same light schedule and most strain are only 60-70 days from seed to harvest.

I would suggest reading CO Finest's journals and asking your questions of him. He has extensive experience in HPS and LED medical growing.

Thank you TheCelt! The Mars Hydro M2 900w LEDs are only 100 more. How many do I need to light the space? Also, I am getting 2x2 tent to veg in, and as soon as I harvest I will be able to put the new plants ready for flowering into the tent. I had no idea there were auto flowing plants...lol Thanks for telling me! Also I am going to TRY and grow 6 to 8 plants in the 4x8 space, that should be enough room right?

You can easily grow that many plants, I have 4 in an area 3'6 x 3'6 and with the right light, you can get some good yields with training and extra grow time. I am still a week or so away from full harvest, so it will be close to the end of the month before I know the final dry weight yield. A Mars 2 900 will cover a 4x4 area during vegetative growth but you would be better advised to use a 1200 for flowering a 4x4 area. I use the 900 in my bloom room and it does well. LEDs tend to work best on plants that have been trained to be wide and short so they have a relatively flat top. Do a search for SCROG and "mainlining" to see what I mean. Training this way will give you better yields without side lighting than an untrained plant.

For producing medicine, you can't beat 2 x 600 HPS for that area. Well, you could but it would be 2 x 1000 HPS. Heat will be Much easier to manage with HPS and cool tubes than LEDs draped all over (I use LED and will never use HPS again for my own safety reasons). Anybody that tries to tell you LEDs (at 60% watt draw of HPS) are easier to manage heat with have either: A.. Never grown with 1000w HPS and cool tube (or) B... Have never had 800W of LED in a tent.

That being said, I'll add this...
First off, I pray for you and your daughter. The main focus here is her health and livelihood as a human being. In my opinion, I would concentrate on working with your doctors and getting her the best methods of treatment possible. If your doctor doesn't believe in cannabis as a cure for cancer, find and talk to one that does. The medical community is very compassionate and I highly doubt cost will be the roadblock. Don't count on your own growing skills to treat her. She's counting on you and you don't need that stress at a time like this.

Find and talk to a doctor
Find a supplier
Work out a payment option

Pick yourself up a small system to grow as a hobby. You'll need something to get your mind off of "life" for brief moments in a day.
Good Luck. God Bless

Very good info here guys. You all are pros with a good helping mind. I will open a new thread for my problem because I do not want to high jack this one.

The Celt, thank you for the help. I am working on researching training. It seems like it is do able for me, my only worry is stressing my plants. Thank you for your help with lighting, because of heat I think it is my best option.

Spitz, thank you for your help. I have no intention of using only Rick Simpson Oil on my daughter for treatment. I am trying to see if I can get it into remission, as the Dr's best attempts are not working. If it does work and she goes into remission, I will need to keep her on it, while she is on chemo. I have not found one case that used only Rick Simpson Oil with leukemia, they all used both chemo and RSO. At this point, we are kind of running out of options. I have no choice but to figure out how to grow it, and grow it well, I can not afford 3,000 every 2 months to keep her on it.

Everyone here has been so kind and helpful. Thank you all.

Look into high cbd strains as well. I wil try my best to help. I'll find out which CBD strain to get that will help. I have a daughter as well and I would do anything to help her.

Back
Top Bottom