Help me - I need to find a second LED light

Timmy1988

Hello everybody! This is my first post. After countless hours of browsing the forums I have decided to create an account so that I can hopefully get some help as I'm just not finding the answers I need.

I am looking for a second LED light for my small 24x48" area. I already have a Mars II 400W light and am looking to ad another to fully cover the area (the one light isnt cutting it). I should have figured this out BEFORE starting this project but its my first experience with leds. While I do like (and plan on keeping) the mars light its not without its flaws. Unless plants are directly underneath the light they do not seem to receive any light whatsoever. Even if they are 2-3" outside of the light they dont seem to get anything at all. I have read this is a common issue with all leds, but I haven't tried any others. That said the 400 has performed better than I expected it to and has raised my expectations for all LED lights, now I plan on using exclusively LEDs from this point forward.

I'm hoping to get some recommendations for my additional LED panel. Based on the coverage I'm getting from the mars II I would assume one more 200ish (true) watt would do. I could just get another of the exact same light but I'm interested in seeing what else is out there. I would be willing to spend around $800 max. Some of the options I am considering are:

Mars pro series (either cree or epistar but the smallest one of either)
CLW 440 Solarstorm
Platinum P600
Black Dog 200
Kind L300

The issue I have with pulling the trigger on any light is that for every positive review I find several negative reviews (ie this one is a scam, this is just another light re-branded, these are all hype, etc). Sorting through all of the madness is making it hard to decide on anything at all. Just hoping that someone here can make a recommendation based on your experience. I'm open to any suggestions any brand or type, I have no bias, just want to find a good light and my knowledge is limited. Hoping one of you that knows more about the subject can educate me :thumb:

Thank you!!!

Hi Timmy 1988,I'm glad that you are happy with our Mars II 400.:high-five:
The Mars Pro series with better built-up,the built in environment management system controls growth cycles & light timers, while monitoring humidity levels, temperature and more, remotely all while setting the proper timer configuration for your horticultural needs.
Mars Pro Epistar 160 Power Consumption is:Bloom: 360~390w | Growth: 240~270w | Seedling 70~110w,the coverage is 2'x3'.
Mars Pro Cree 128 Power Consumption is:Bloom: 325~355w | Growth: 240~270w | Seedling 80~110w,the coverage is 2'x3'.:circle-of-love:
You can try our Mars Pro series ,please check the following website to know more:Mars Pro

Mr. Tim. Your 2' x 4' is 8 sq ft. You want at least 40-50 actual watts per foot for good results. You can go higher of course, for better results.

I've used both Advanced led xte and budmaster COB and GOD panels and they are really amazing, but slightly higher price range than you are looking to spend. Have you looked into DIY LEDs? If you have some time to build one, and some minimal electrical knowledge there are plenty of DIY videos on Utube that show how to do it, and for the money you want to spend you could build an amazing COB LED that would most likely outperform any of those brands you mentioned. Also, I would check out Timber Grow lights which is a sponsor here, and they use top quality parts in their panels, and would give you probably a much better experience than any "cheaper" brand. I haven't used them yet, but based on the parts they use they are build with quality in mind and performance.

I've used both Advanced led xte and budmaster COB and GOD panels and they are really amazing, but slightly higher price range than you are looking to spend. Have you looked into DIY LEDs? If you have some time to build one, and some minimal electrical knowledge there are plenty of DIY videos on Utube that show how to do it, and for the money you want to spend you could build an amazing COB LED that would most likely outperform any of those brands you mentioned. Also, I would check out Timber Grow lights which is a sponsor here, and they use top quality parts in their panels, and would give you probably a much better experience than any "cheaper" brand. I haven't used them yet, but based on the parts they use they are build with quality in mind and performance.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I am shooting for 50w/sf overall with the added light, more if possible. Icemud... those budmaster COBs look pretty awesome. Ive read great things about those but they are a bit above what I was originally hoping to spend. That being said I would spend more if the extra cost is truly justified. You seem to have a lot of knowledge about the higher end lights available. If you don't mind me asking... which of the ones you mentioned did you see the best results with? I mostly do Autos (if that makes a difference) and need the light to be able to do veg/bloom both well.

Thank you!!:thumb:

Thanks everyone for your responses! I am shooting for 50w/sf overall with the added light, more if possible. Icemud... those budmaster COBs look pretty awesome. Ive read great things about those but they are a bit above what I was originally hoping to spend. That being said I would spend more if the extra cost is truly justified. You seem to have a lot of knowledge about the higher end lights available. If you don't mind me asking... which of the ones you mentioned did you see the best results with? I mostly do Autos (if that makes a difference) and need the light to be able to do veg/bloom both well.

Thank you!!:thumb:

Its really hard to compare the budmaster COB, GOD and Advanced XTE, the reason is because they are all different wattage so its hard to say. I think all of them make for good choices. You can click on the journals in my signature below this post and see the results for yourself, as all of them did an amazing job for flowering.

Thank you very much for the mention Icemud, much appreciated. We currently have a member, Sweet Sue, who is completing (and I think beginning another) run of DD autos under one of our panels.

There are many good products to choose from, and we certainly do our best to provide a quality product and a good value - feel free to shoot me a pm or contact me at 866-764-5822. We would be happy to develop a solution to fit your coverage, and budgetary, needs.

Regards,
Dan

Hey icemud I'm new to growing and I've seen you around a lot on this and YouTube I know you're a fan of hid and that you've tested a lot of led including the budmaster GOD. but how do you think a hid 600w would compare to a budmaster GOD-9 in a 4x4 foot space with a scrog set up?
I've read up about PAR and for the most part I understand in but I just wanna research more and talk to people with experience like yourself.

Hey icemud I'm new to growing and I've seen you around a lot on this and YouTube I know you're a fan of hid and that you've tested a lot of led including the budmaster GOD. but how do you think a hid 600w would compare to a budmaster GOD-9 in a 4x4 foot space with a scrog set up?
I've read up about PAR and for the most part I understand in but I just wanna research more and talk to people with experience like yourself.

I don't really have a direct answer to your question because I don't have the PAR charts for the GOD 9, but I would actually recommend getting a few smaller panels instead of one, high wattage panel for a scrog. With LED's, especially non-COB LEDs that use dual lenses, they are very very intense, but don't spread very well, therefore since with a scrog, very little penetration is really needed, then its best to get a few smaller wattage panels which will allow for a much more even canopy vs 1 single high powered LED.

As far a 600w HPS vs COB, I haven't done any comparisons so It would be unfair to pass on a guess as information. Do I think 600w of LED's could beat out a 600w HPS.. most likely yes, but really its depends on making sure your whole 4x4 area is illuminated evenly, therefore for that size garden, It would be much better to get 4x GOD4's,

Back
Top Bottom