Which LED light is the best for 4-6 plants?

lpki200

Hi guys,

Im a newbie, and im searching for the best led light to grow 4-6 plants in a 4ft x 4ft space. There are so many candidates that im completely lost. So im going to ask plain and simple:

Which led should i buy?

Thsnks in advance

OlderGrower, could you recommend some models?
Since i dont know the brands, or even the right power, i would hardly pick the best choice for me.

Something in the U$300 range, more if its really worthy.
Whats the difference between a $200 and a $600 light (considering they have the same power)?

A plant can only absorb so much light. I do believe you need a little more than they are rated for so if you can afford the 900 I go with it. Mine doesn't have UV. I have my opinions but wont share. Best to read from others who do have it in their grow.

Based on your growing area,you can try our Reflector192,coverage is 4'x4',the power consumption is:120V: 410W±5%, 240V: 397W±5%.If you need more information you can check our website:mars hydro led grow light -reflector 192

You choose lighting based on area not number of plants. I could grow one plant that was 4'x4' or 30 in a 4'x4', same light for best results with either. For a 4x4 I would get Mars II 1600 it is 710w and would be great for that setup. That should produce 1.5 lbs per grow if you do it right. Or if you prefer the rectangular reflector series then get two that add up to more than 700w

Hi guys,

Im a newbie, and im searching for the best led light to grow 4-6 plants in a 4ft x 4ft space. There are so many candidates that im completely lost. So im going to ask plain and simple:

Which led should i buy?

Thsnks in advance

I can tell you that many "Pro" growers right now use fixtures based on CREE COBs, like the CREE CXB3590 or CXB3070. For an area of 4x4ft which is pretty large, and max light and efficiency etc. you would need a fixture of optimally 8 COBs. For a LED that is good for vegging and flowering I recommend the CREE CXB 3590s at 3500K, it has just the right spectrum that is good for vegging and flowering.
Most growers drive single COB LEDs at about 50W each - this is where those LEDs are most efficient in terms of lumens/watt.

Obviously, "the best" is nevertheless a vague term since a lot can depend on what you consider "best", including what you can/want to spend.

>>
Whats the difference between a $200 and a $600 light
>>

Efficiency, spectrum, and of course light output, longevity, penetration (intensity) etc.
You will likely have a problem getting a GOOD light for 4x4 for $300, my fixture for my 4x2 area (120x60cm) is 4x CREE CXB 3590, it cost me about €450, I had it custom-made by someone. I personally don't think you need an 4x4' area for 4 plants.

** to somewhat "objective" what is "the best", pro growers can calculate the PAR value for a certain size/area. (Simply spoken, the light a particular area gets). If you know the exact specs of a light, like lumens etc. this can be done. 1000 PAR is usually considered the optimum, it's the most what plants would need for flowering (1000 PAR is A LOT of light :), above 1000 PAR it is not "worth it" since yields will diminish.
With 8x CREE CXB 3590 COBs you can get (close to) 900-1000 PAR for a 4x4 area. In other words: It's as much light you could ever want, for a real power draw of 8x50W== 400W.

(Sorry for the technical blahblah :) )

>>
Whats the difference between a $200 and a $600 light
>>r

Efficiency, spectrum, and of course light output, longevity, penetration (intensity) etc.
You will likely have a problem getting a GOOD light for 4x4 for $300, my fixture for my 4x2 area (120x60cm) is 4x CREE CXB 3590, it cost me about €450, I had it custom-made by someone. I personally don't think you need an 4x4' area for 4 plants.

** to somewhat "objective" what is "the best", pro growers can calculate the PAR value for a certain size/area. (Simply spoken, the light a particular area gets). If you know the exact specs of a light, like lumens etc. this can be done. 1000 PAR is usually considered the optimum, it's the most what plants would need for flowering (1000 PAR is A LOT of light :), above 1000 PAR it is not "worth it" since yields will diminish.
With 8x CREE CXB 3590 COBs you can get (close to) 900-1000 PAR for a 4x4 area. In other words: It's as much light you could ever want, for a real power draw of 8x50W== 400W.

(Sorry for the technical blahblah :) )

Do you have a journal for this? I checked out the one in your sig but it was a different less powerful light. I look forward to seeing how the custom one works.

To understand why both of us OGs and others recommend more light it is because if you are doing really well with your grow then you can grow 1 gram per watt. Maybe a high end light might vary that by what 5%, 10%? 15? Would be fun for someone to do a side by side. In any case if you buy a 200w light you could get 200g of bud. If you can afford a 700w light then you can get 1.5 pounds. So if you have the money (including ventilation fans) then we recommend you get the most
Powerful light you can afford. That 710w real draw
Mars is $689. If that is too much step down to the biggest you can afford.
Another excellent ratio to keep in mind is dollars per watt and that Mars is 97 cents a watt. Compare that to a more efficient high end light and see if the increase in costs is justified
By the small performance difference per watt.

Do you have a journal for this? I checked out the one in your sig but it was a different less powerful light. I look forward to seeing how the custom one works.

I know, I am guilty, I SHOULD I have made a journal for this grow too. But I "experimented" so much this time and for some reason I didn't start one.

This grow is entirely different from the one in my journal (this was organic in soil). Now I am using Hempie buckets, the new light, and entirely different nutes. (Currently GH Floranova Bloom respective GH Flora TRIO, Lucas formula). So it is difficult to say in how far the light, the Hempies or the nutes play the biggest role inhow the grow turns out.

I can tell you this:

My plants right now are "exploding" so fast that I am worrying about methods to SLOW the grow. As it looks I have to keep them in my green house until Jun 1st (to prevent rev-egging outside), at the current rate they will probably grow trees.

According to my calculations (now for the light) I am getting about 800-900 PAR with my 4x CREEs in an area *slighty* smaller than my 120x60cm, this is more light than I could ever want. (Right now I dimmed the light all the way down.)

Compared to my soil grow, I have NOT seen any type of deficiency yet which I always had before, so no yellowing or whatever. Before, I always ran into some problems sooner or later.

My "problem" right now that the plants are growing so fast that they will likely outgrow my growing area, then I have *seven* in my 4x2 which is WAY too many (I guess 4x, even 3 would be more than enough)...seeing that plants in Hempy buckets grow monstrous :) I might at some point get a second light like I have or at least add my Marshydros and expand my area. Problem: I have a horizontal 1m bar with 4 lights which makes me less flexible in arranging.

Back
Top Bottom