What's the difference?

No1Stunna

Between CFL bulbs and LED bulbs??

led bulb im talking about

There are two key terms pertaining to light bulbs: watts and lumens. A watt refers to the amount of energy required to power a bulb. With incandescent bulbs, the number of watts has become synonymous with the level of brightness, even though a watt really does not tell you anything more than the amount of power necessary to light the bulb. Lumens, on the other hand, indicate the actual amount of light emitted by the bulb. For example, a typical incandescent 40W light bulb draws 40 watts of power and provides about 400 lumens of brightness. A CFL requires 9-13 watts and an LED light bulb uses 6-7 watts to provide the same amount of lumens.
ledlightbulb.jpg

Until recently, most homes used incandescent light bulbs. Incandescent bulbs emit light by generating heat. Unfortunately 90% of the power required to provide the desired brightness is emitted in heat rather than visible light. For this reason, incandescent bulbs are gradually being phased out, and in the United States will be banned entirely by 2014. CFLs have been touted enthusiastically in the past decade, but LEDs are beginning to surpass them because they require as little as half the power and last 10 times longer than a CFL. The table below contrasts the three technologies.

IncandescentCFLLED
Life Span1,000 hours6,00050,000 hours
Watts40W9W6W
Lumens400320300
Heat Emitted56.6 BTUs per hour20.3 BTUs per hour2.3 BTUs per hour
CO2 Emissions3000 pounds per year701 pounds per year301 pounds per year
Contains MercuryNoYesNo
RoHS CompliantYesNoYes
Kilowatts of Electricity Used*2190 KWh per year531 KWh per year228 KWh per year
Annual Operating Cost*$219.06 per year$53.06 per year$22.76 per year
Cost of Bulb$0.84$2.49 (average)$24.99
Months to Recover Initial ExpenseN/AVs. Incandescent: <1 monthVs. Incandescent:
1.5 months
Vs. CFL: 9 months
*30 Incandescent Bulbs per Year Equivalent

As you can see, LED light bulbs outperform CFLs in almost every category, and you recover any initial cost investment relatively quickly. In less than a year, you will have recouped your original investment and your savings will begin to accrue rapidly. While installing LED fixtures is an excellent way to go green, you can also use replacement LED light bulbs in your existing fixtures. Either way, you will have energy-efficient, attractive light that will save you money as well as help conserve the environment for years to come.

Source: Elemental LED

Jessica Sullivan is a freelance writer in Los Angeles who cares deeply about environmental conservation and preservation.

one of the differences is with those led bulbs you have to put them up high and you lose light intensity the farther away they are. And up close they act like a spot light. Turn off all your lights and leave just that one on and put your hand or something up to it and see how it loses light the farther away it gets. With the cfls the light is spread around the bulb and can be used by more than one plant. + the lumens are less on those led bulbs than cfls. Another thing is the heat. The leds put out less than the cfls but in winter or spring grows that can be a problem if there is no other heat source like a heater. I haven't tried those type of leds, i tried the ones without the round cover. Mine are 38w led cool white. Maybe someone else has had better luck with them and can give some tips. Good luck

anyone know anything else about these bulbs? i figured they look almost like the cfl they should work but im kind of having my doubts... im thinking on taking these out of my tent to see if these are whats stressing them

LED growing light can provide you the specific spectrum which plants need from seedling to bloom:440nm 460nm,630nm 660nm,2700k-300k.HPS will provide white spectrum,and it will emit from 360 degree,it will be a lot of waste.:high-five:
LED growing light is easy to use,not like HPS,you need install some other equipments:high-five:

Back
Top Bottom