Bug Zapper UVB 7x stronger then sunlights

LEDBud

Bug zapper UVB output measured

Today's evening sun's uvb output measured 67 mw/m2

Wiki has the Sun's uvb output measured @ 74mw/m2

It has a 10 inch dual tube 85va draw florescent type bulb

The UVB strength reached over 580mw/m2 but the photo was under exposed.

This is more then 7x stronger then the sun uvb m/2 output

UVB_001.JPG

it reads 545.3 mw/m2

I am going to remove the cage and hang it in the tent in between two budding plants

to wikis uvb page
Ultraviolet index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You know it ! lol

Plan is to keep the zapper active , I may remove it while I have no bugs to Zap as it will block some of the light.

The housing will come off tonight and I'll hang it up for a few hours as a brake in to acclimatize them.

I will have to use caution not to burn the plants and my eyes. UVB is 20x more damaging then UVA

Interesting. I wonder if these bulbs would work better than reptisun 10.0

I wouldn't mind seeing those tests run on the 15-watt size reptile bulbs. They are locally available.

Interesting, I was reading up on how UVA and UVB spectrum will increase THC, is that what you are going for here? Besides the obvious of killing any and all of the little bastards that love our grow spaces?

-Vape

So I broke the bulb by mishandling and never did use it for a grow , the bulbs are $20

This grow in flower mode I will try it out and post results.

Hoping for a massive increase in resins and crystal

( I am hoping)

Might as well wish big !

Those bulbs also produce (hard UV) or UVC ( range few cm in open air) , as they have no coating (bandpass filter) in them. They are quite capable of producing H2O2 with moisture in the air which is corrosive to metallic surfaces. Another hazard is that they are Hg filled. so if you do break one of these tubes ventilate the area and clean up bits with gloves. Dispose of in Hazardous waste.

UVC is a skin cancer risk and an eye hazard. Causes cataracts
UVC also produces copious amounts of Ozone and Nozone (Nitrogen Dioxides and trioxides) Also forms Nitrous acid / Nitric acids upon exposure to moisture.

The real danger to be weary of is eye damage

People sit around the deck mere feet away from these things too .. not good

Cataracts are a clouding of the lense of the eye (photochemical change) If you are feet away, this isn't going to be a big deal (UVC only transmits a few cm as it is readily absorbed by atmospheric O2 and N2) . Many/most of the consumer grade bug lights are bandpass filtered and emit very little UVC-UVA. Most of the spectrum is 500-400nm.. Almost none of the output is lower than 400nm. Hard UVB transmits a longer distance. UV, even short wave isn't classed as being ionizing though (UVC) can charge O2 to make O3 and do the same with N2.

I'd be very cautious if the fluorescent tube is completely clear. That would be a clear indication of a quartz tube for UVC production. (not cloudy) Cloudy tubes are coated with a phosphor that absorbs UV for safety.

In HVAC they use uvc in the ducts metered of course. Its the UVB that does the eye damage

that'd be right. UVB transmits over longer distances as does UVA. Both kinds of UV can do eye damage over long term. Any high intensity discharge lighting output a great deal of all 3 kinds of UV, esp. MH lighting/CMH and plasma. Plasma lights often come with a bandpass filter glass overtop to keep the UV from passing through.

Back
Top Bottom