Anybody ever used HPS only? Results?

onewarmguy

Hi all, I got a lucky deal on a 1000 watt HPS system yesterday, commercial reflector, MH/HPS ballast and 2 HPS bulbs (all used, but in working order). I've currently got two little girls under some T8 6500K fluorescents on 18/6 and I'm thinking they're not getting enough light; they're only 2 1/2" tall after a month in good soil. (I may have had a little pH problem as well, recently resolved) My grow rooms only got space for one lighting system so it's one or the other.

Has anybody used only HPS lighting at some time? What were the results? Care to pass along a little wisdom? Comments?

Thanks
Onewarmguy

hey there,

I tried using just hps on my reveg experiment. I wasn't satisfied with the outcome honestly. I should have gotten a better yield. only got around 1 1/4 pound dry.

when you can get an mh, I would recommend doing that.

however, that being said, if u can't get the mh right away, go ahead and use the hps, it will yield higher than the flouros.

and........have fun.

I have been using hps for the whole veg stage on my current grow (here). I have used MH for vegging in past grows.
The only difference is that the inter-nodal length is a bit longer with HPS and therefore grows faster. The thickness of the stem is also reduced, so make sure to have a fan to counter that.

I stopped using MH due to heat issues and because of scrog; longer inter-nodal length means it will fill up the screen faster.

I have used HPS all the way for 2 grows. Spacing between nodes is a bit more, but not by enough that it will make me use MH. I added silica to my feeding and with the little extra distance I found it helps with LST and helps to make sure the inside of the plant gets good light during flowering. I have been happy, others will swear by the combo mh/hps, but in my situation HPS works well all the way through

Hey Onewarmguy, I have used just hps with great success. I had a 48x48x8H room i built with 2 400W HPS lamps. I completed my first grow in that room with a yield of 1 1/4 lb from 4 plants. Started from seed with the Auto Purple for that grow. Finished in 62 days from planting seed directly in soil to harvest. I didn't want to spring for new beans and wait the longer time (even though the auto's are VERY fast) for the second grow. I took 4 clones from the purp's and put them back under the HPS. A friend told me about MH conversion bulbs. I found 2 for about $35.00 ea. I used the HPS for veg and switched to MH conversion for flower. I can say from experience that the MH DOES make a difference in flowering. Didn't try to veg with the MH so can't comment on that. I ended up with 1 3/4 lb. from the second harvest and buds were def bigger and more dense. Hence the higher yield.

Get a Hortilux Super HPS bulb.

Its HPS, and is also Blue Enhanced, and has very good PAR wattage.

I use them in both Veg/Flower with great results.

IMHO you need BLUE, in every stage.

You can get results with straight HPS, but, as has been stated, the internode length will be longer.

The Hortilux... Is a Horticultural bulb. Made for flowers/plants.

2 HPS bulbs (all used

Care to pass along a little wisdom?

Yes: The human eye is a poor illumination measuring device, lol. By the time you can visually tell the difference between the output of a new HPS bulb and a used one, the used one has lost a significant amount. Therefore, if you do not know exactly how many hours are on those bulbs, get new ones. Save those for backups if you like. Considering the market price of decent cannabis these days, if you'd have to purchase enough to make up the difference in yield from a bulb that is producing 10% or 15% less illumination (which you most likely wouldn't notice even if you were comparing them with the output of a new one), well... you'd save money by just buying a new bulb.

Back
Top Bottom