Beginner LED decision - Which and how many?

HoboTokin

I know this gets asked but searching through all the post I have doesn't answer it all. I have a 400 watt MH-HPS by Vivosun atm in a 40"x40"x7' tent. The heat is too much, with a 4" inline and filter, where I am and I'm looking at replacing with LEDs. Should I buy cheaper ones such as MarsHydro or is name brands the only way to go? I have a limitied budget around $500ish. Also, should I buy a couple 300 watts or just one big one? If i get MarsHydro 300's I could buy 4 of them I think or maybe 2 of the Reflector 96's. I would love some info from people who have used these or have a lot of experience growing with LED's. Thanks everyone

Many growers are using our light.May i know where you located? If you are in USA we have discount offer.:high-five:
I know this gets asked but searching through all the post I have doesn't answer it all. I have a 400 watt MH-HPS by Vivosun atm in a 40"x40"x7' tent. The heat is too much, with a 4" inline and filter, where I am and I'm looking at replacing with LEDs. Should I buy cheaper ones such as MarsHydro or is name brands the only way to go? I have a limitied budget around $500ish. Also, should I buy a couple 300 watts or just one big one? If i get MarsHydro 300's I could buy 4 of them I think or maybe 2 of the Reflector 96's. I would love some info from people who have used these or have a lot of experience growing with LED's. Thanks everyone

Many growers are using our light.May i know where you located? If you are in USA we have discount offer.:high-five:

I am located in the US but I am having to use a Amazon gift card to make the purchase. I have really taken an interest in your lights above most others though. Just wish Amazon had the new Pro Series for sale but haven't been able to find any through searches. Just trying to make sure I get full coverage (40"x40"x70") with the absolute best light penetration and PAR without having as much heat as I do now. Thinking of either the MarsII lights or the Reflector Series in the center (two MarsII 400's or one Reflector144 and maybe a couple older 300's on two of the sides). Just wondering if I'll have to use less or upgrade from my 4" inline and carbon filter to a 6" to keep the heat at bay. Any ideas/thoughts are apprectiated and thanks for all the help.

Rather than chucking your light away would it not be cheaper to buy an air cooled hood and/or increase the fan and ducting size? You may well find this cheaper and more efficient than chasing LED technology, especially if you don't research, research again, and then do more research.

I've been using LED's since halfway through my first grow, I have also chased technology and thrown away a lot of good money all of which started out because I was unable to control my temperatures and I would hate to see someone else have to follow that route. A well designed grow area with good air movement along with a cooling tube will allow you to run HPS, which although running hotter (and possibly more expensive on electricity)is proven to be one of the better yielding lights (due to the penetration differences between HPS and LED).

Don't get me wrong, LED is a viable choice but the upfront costs can be a little painful, especially if you may be unhappy with your first choice of light so be sure to look around and make your decision based on knowledge rather than making a choice based on somebody else's opinion, unless you have plenty of money to throw away of course :thumb:

Rather than chucking your light away would it not be cheaper to buy an air cooled hood and/or increase the fan and ducting size? You may well find this cheaper and more efficient than chasing LED technology, especially if you don't research, research again, and then do more research.

I've been using LED's since halfway through my first grow, I have also chased technology and thrown away a lot of good money all of which started out because I was unable to control my temperatures and I would hate to see someone else have to follow that route. A well designed grow area with good air movement along with a cooling tube will allow you to run HPS, which although running hotter (and possibly more expensive on electricity)is proven to be one of the better yielding lights (due to the penetration differences between HPS and LED).

Don't get me wrong, LED is a viable choice but the upfront costs can be a little painful, especially if you may be unhappy with your first choice of light so be sure to look around and make your decision based on knowledge rather than making a choice based on somebody else's opinion, unless you have plenty of money to throw away of course :thumb:

Well my light is the Vivosun 400 Watt MH-HPS kit from amazon which includes an air cooled hood. So I have that with my Ventech 4" inline and Carbon filter. This is all inside my tent (40"x40"x70") going filter-->ducting-->reducer(light only comes with 6" openigs)-->hood-->reducer-->ducting-->fan-->ducting out of tent. Total length is about 10' including all components and ducting (flexible). So I figured I could upgrade to 6" inline fan and keep my 400 or just go ahead and get a better light setup which exceeds my current light and may fix my heat issue. If not then i'll have to decide whether to just go cheapest and just upgrade exhaust or go ahead and spend the money to upgrade lights or both lights and ducting (if heat is still an issue with LED switch). Just trying to figure out my best option for an LED so I can decide which route I'll go. I already know I'll upgrade the 400 MH/HPS eventually, I bought it because it was the best I could afford at the time. Saving money is always best if possible, with goals/dreams and what not in mind. Still unsure how much or if LED's will lower temp enough (Im getting heat stress on plants now with temps fluctuating from 70-92 throughout entire day and night and its getting hotter here :/

Ok, LED's will reduce the heat inside the tent by anything up to 5F, I will double check my first grow journal and let you know for certain but I'm pretty sure it was around that figure. If this is enough then it could be the easiest route rather than rearranging your full ventilation setup, it should also cut down on the electricity bills. Bear in mind that if the ambient temperature around your grow space is extremely hot then without active cooling you are going to struggle with temps constantly, moving warm air around isn't going to cool things so much. Your growing environment will be one of the main factors of your yield, and if you can't move that heat away from the plants they will struggle whichever path you choose to take.

Looking at my first grow I didn't make a note of the actual temperature differences (I guess this is why noting everything properly in journals is a real bonus) but they dropped enough to make the grow work, I did upgrade them shortly after though and the cycle of heat problems started again. This is what I'm hoping you can avoid and why I say that plenty of research is worthwhile before making that decision to purchase. I could toss out all the sponsor's names on this site and LED should help with temps, but I would also say look at your environmental conditions and see if there is something there that could be changed to not only rectify the problem but also future proof against any upgrades in the future, for a lot less expense :thumb:

Looking at my first grow I didn't make a note of the actual temperature differences (I guess this is why noting everything properly in journals is a real bonus) but they dropped enough to make the grow work, I did upgrade them shortly after though and the cycle of heat problems started again. This is what I'm hoping you can avoid and why I say that plenty of research is worthwhile before making that decision to purchase. I could toss out all the sponsor's names on this site and LED should help with temps, but I would also say look at your environmental conditions and see if there is something there that could be changed to not only rectify the problem but also future proof against any upgrades in the future, for a lot less expense :thumb:

Well it is def the area around my tent causing the problem. The house rent has poor ventilation and the room I have to put my tent in is the farthest away from the central air and thus has the lowest cfm with only one vent in the room. So I have to freeze myself to keep that room acceptable. I can't really run my ducting outside so I'm dumping the hot air from my tent outside in this same room which makes things worse. Any ideas? Cheap portable ac unit? Idk how to handle it. When I'm home I can open the door to this room and let air flow freely but while away its closed. Only thing I knew was that the less heat my tent produces the lower the temp outside of the tent would be. My passive air intake is right next to the ac vent in the room but it doesn't run all the time obviously so it only helps a little

We give big discount on Amazon for Reflector series these days,and it's for USA only,that's why i asked your location first.You can send email to sales16@lgledsolutions.com,my colleague is in charge of Amazon,she will help you.(as i can not send you the link here)
Reflector 48 is only $87.99USD save $22 USD
Reflector144 is $234.39USD save$58.6USD
Reflector192 only $276.79USD save$69.2USD:welcome:
You consider Reflector 48 and Reflector144,Reflector 48 is with better built-up than Mars300.:high-five:
I am located in the US but I am having to use a Amazon gift card to make the purchase. I have really taken an interest in your lights above most others though. Just wish Amazon had the new Pro Series for sale but haven't been able to find any through searches. Just trying to make sure I get full coverage (40"x40"x70") with the absolute best light penetration and PAR without having as much heat as I do now. Thinking of either the MarsII lights or the Reflector Series in the center (two MarsII 400's or one Reflector144 and maybe a couple older 300's on two of the sides). Just wondering if I'll have to use less or upgrade from my 4" inline and carbon filter to a 6" to keep the heat at bay. Any ideas/thoughts are apprectiated and thanks for all the help.

Well it is def the area around my tent causing the problem. The house rent has poor ventilation and the room I have to put my tent in is the farthest away from the central air and thus has the lowest cfm with only one vent in the room. So I have to freeze myself to keep that room acceptable. I can't really run my ducting outside so I'm dumping the hot air from my tent outside in this same room which makes things worse. Any ideas? Cheap portable ac unit? Idk how to handle it. When I'm home I can open the door to this room and let air flow freely but while away its closed. Only thing I knew was that the less heat my tent produces the lower the temp outside of the tent would be. My passive air intake is right next to the ac vent in the room but it doesn't run all the time obviously so it only helps a little

A cheap AC unit would definitely help but I think most of those have to be vented outside of the room too. Is there an option to bring air intake from the outside and then exhaust into your room as a form of heating instead of you freezing? I'm finding it hard to visualise your grow area as it's late here and I'm tired, sorry if I'm not of much help at the moment :peace:

Due to the shortage of stock for Reflector96 at our USA warehouse,we only give discount for Reflector48,Reflector144,Reflector192.:Namaste:
How about the reflector 96. I'm in the US .

Honestly if I were you with that budget and that space, I would be building my own cxb3590 setup or if you are not in the mood for a total DIY you could get a kit from Timber. If you are replacing a 400W HPS I would say try to lower your heat and increase your lights spectrum to get the best possible outcome. The CXB3590 have quite impressive results and I can tell you that my plants saw a real positive difference going from a LED (non cob based) to a DIY CXB3590 Cob setup. Within days The plants started exploding with new growth and I replaced ~600W of cheap led with 300W of CXB3590.
That is just my input if you are going to upgrade, upgrade correctly.

I've just recently switched out my older style LED's for the 3590 builds and experienced the same growth explosion, I didn't want to keep on mentioning it everywhere though as I thought it was just my mind over exaggerating things. It will also help with the heat but I'm of the thought that the 400w HPS will suffice (especially over older style LED's) and in the meantime it might be best and cheaper to fix their growing environment, as even with lower watt/higher lumen it sounds as if they will still be running into temperature issues.

Research, research and more research before committing to purchasing :thumb:

I gotta say I may be able to do a DIY led but I've never done much in that area (electrical, soldering). What about 300W's? Two of them? I think I can run my exhaust to vent into my attic instead of my room. Think that will make a good difference? I can post pics of my setup tonight if needed. I intake and exhaust into a small room that my tent is in which absolutely raises my temps 10 degrees in that room at least. Just can't exhaust out my window or intake for that matter. Running exhaust to my attic is all I can think of.

these kits are easy to build:

image14771.jpeg
image14772.jpeg

I managed to plumb my washing machine into my gas pipe once too lol, they're easy to build and good lumen to heat output, not sure how many $500 can buy though :thumb:

Due to the shortage of stock for Reflector96 at our USA warehouse,we only give discount for Reflector48,Reflector144,Reflector192.:Namaste:

I haven't been able to find the Reflector 96 PAR reading at Mars' recommended height placement of 24"-30" above canopy anywhere! Not even on your websites page!!! Can you please provide this information...?

Posted via my iPhone 6s from Above and Beyond... Stay high

Back
Top Bottom