Height above canopy for 600w DE HPS air cooled

Formyparents

Looking for folks with experience with these double ended lights. I currently run 600s in the hydrofarm radiant cooled reflectors over 1 plant 3x3 screens at 18 inches off the canopy or so. Consistently pull 15 to 20 oz depending on strain per screen. I've read that the DE setups increase yield noticeably.My question is how far away from the canopy do I need to run the DEs if they are still air cooled? I am working with limited headroom, 7 ft. Keeping the radiant 18" above the canopy and I still have another 8 to 10 inches to play with in height. Is this enough?

Also, how is the heat on the DE units? Room is cooled with mini split and has no problems keeping everything cool now.

Thoughts, experiences?

Thanks

Hi Formyparents

I don't run double-ended lights in the strict sense, but I do run two 400W dual spectrums in a dual tube so that's as close as it gets, I guess.

26_07_4.jpg

Yesterday, I've lowered the lights to 30cm (12''). It can get lower still, once the plants start flowering. With good ventilation, the heat is manageable. No problem.

Regards.

Thanks for the reply, that's fine and all. I keep my 600s 18 inches or so away in radiant hoods that are cooled. I specifically want to know if I can keep that same distance with the DE air cooled hoods in 600w?

I don't know that i cant, just don't want to buy new reflectors and ballasts if they need more height. That's why I need to hear from people who have used them :)

All you're going to get is about a 10% increase in light intensity and PAR output over a traditional single ended HPS bulb.. Why bother to switch... I doubt that you'll get enough of an increase in weight to make a real difference.. I traded down from 2-600 watt hps, to 2- SS 315 watt lec lights, mostly to drop the heat.... At 18" they bleach the tops of the plants... At 24" 2-24"x 30" inch screens yielded 26 oz last time around....
The 2 lights ran me about $900, still i only have 630 watts of heat to deal with.... They're not air cooled, but i run window air and use a scrubber filter...

Back
Top Bottom