Vegging light advice

THChoker

Hi folks of the 420 community!

I'm looking for some advice from you nice people FOR MY FIRST GROW IN YEARS!!!! ....im looking to to buy 2 metal halide bulbs for vegging my ladies and want to know what lamps are best to buy!. I have 2 Lumatek 600w dimmable Pro ballasts (which take 400v lamps)

Am i right in thinking that i do not need as much light to veg my plants?? so 2 x 400w mh bulbs will be fine or should i just buy 600w lamps or is that over kill.

For info - I will be growing in a Secret Jardin orca tent 240 with 8 plants in a d.i.y RDWC system.

Thanks guys n gurls.... peace!

High THChoker. From what I have read you don't need a lot of watts to veg. Your flowering tent should be more watts than veg tent. 400w veg with 600w bloom is quite common.
If you are going with dimmable ballast then dial a 600w down to 400w. You mentioned 1 tent. Will you bloom and veg in the one ?

Hello Stage, thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Yes i only have one tent and i do not have a separate veg area at the moment. My tent is 8'x4' and i already have 2 x 600w hps for flowering.

This will be my first grow in years and i plan to grow my plants from seed then veg and flower in the same tent until i get a mother plant and veg room sorted and working.

Just as you have recommended i thought of buying 2x400w metal halide bulbs and turning the dimmer on my ballasts down to 400w
I was wondering if 2x400w would be sufficient enough or would 2x600w MH bulbs be the better option or give better results.

THChoker,
Simply put 1200w to veg is wasteful given the space you are working with. :passitleft:
When you take into account the lifecycle of cannabis in indoor growing, you will agree with this statement:
You are flowering 2x as long as you veg in most cases. (ie: 3 or 4 week veg followed by 8 to 10 week flower).
If I were to follow your example, you would need 2400w to bloom all the vegetation you just grew.
I hope you can dig what I'm putting down. ;)

Hello Stage, thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Yes i only have one tent and i do not have a separate veg area at the moment. My tent is 8'x4' and i already have 2 x 600w hps for flowering.

This will be my first grow in years and i plan to grow my plants from seed then veg and flower in the same tent until i get a mother plant and veg room sorted and working.

Just as you have recommended i thought of buying 2x400w metal halide bulbs and turning the dimmer on my ballasts down to 400w
I was wondering if 2x400w would be sufficient enough or would 2x600w MH bulbs be the better option or give better results.

THChoker,
Simply put 1200w to veg is wasteful given the space you are working with. :passitleft:
When you take into account the lifecycle of cannabis in indoor growing, you will agree with this statement:
You are flowering 2x as long as you veg in most cases. (ie: 3 or 4 week veg followed by 8 to 10 week flower).
If I were to follow your example, you would need 2400w to bloom all the vegetation you just grew.
I hope you can dig what I'm putting down. ;)

Hey Stage, thanks and apologies for the late reply. I was away on holiday.

I have decided to buy a small propagation type tent like the secret jardin DP 120 that way i can have a separate small veg area with maybe just a 400W MH lamp. I could also keep a mother in there with room for clones too.

Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom