200 Watt CFLs - I need info really bad

Re: 200 watt cfls.....i need info really bad

For veg growth they should do just fine. but for budding you need to use a lower CRI around 2000 k,

but of course the HPS are best for flowering

but what kind of quality should i be expecting with higher power cfls?

OK....this is what I've seen and heard on CFLs....I did ALOT of looking and researching online for a grow freind of mine. Full sun spectrum CFL bulbs are 6500K, not 5000K. For flowering (and if you wish during veg. growth also) your CFL should be in the 2700 - 3000K range. Good luck......:cheesygrinsmiley:

Stoner4Life said:
OK....this is what I've seen and heard on CFLs....I did ALOT of looking and researching online for a grow freind of mine. Full sun spectrum CFL bulbs are 6500K, not 5000K. For flowering (and if you wish during veg. growth also) your CFL should be in the 2700 - 3000K range. Good luck......:cheesygrinsmiley:
but how is the quality?

The quality would depend on a lot of factors, strain, air circulation, lighting, growing medium, ferts, etc., just keep in mind that a well tended plant, even if grown from bag seed, will be MUCH better that the product the seeds came from. Take a look at my plant on the members photos, my first grow, bag seed. I used four 200W, 2800 lumen CFL's I picked up at Wally World for both veg, and flower cycles. Everything I learned to produce the fine crop of buds pictured came from the great folks, and FAQ's on this site. Search first, my save some time waiting for answers to your questions.

ok the words 'full spectrum' sound very appealing indeed. you instantly think the bulb must provide what the plant needs, and technically it does, BUT.....

full spectrum bulbs waste a huge amount of energy producing green and yellow light and only a small fraction is actually usable blue and red.

pay no attention to the words full spectrum in this instance =)

dual spec on the other hand is specifically designed to cover OUR needs ;)

so basically a 5000k full spec bulb is next to useless unless your deliberatly willing to pay for electric to help stimulate the economy :rofl:

if going cfl 2700k for flower 6500k for veg, if going flouro tubes then find bulbs like grolux dual spec.

if you have some personal need to go 'full spectrum' then do some research into ceramic metal halides (NOT metal halides). i think you will be pleasantly suprised, but make sure to buy sunblock because these can give you the same cancers the sun can ;)

a small note. an increasing number of growers reccomend part of your lighting to be the 'other' spectrum. IE during veg add maybe 1 red cfl to 3 or 4 blue and in flower add a blue to 3 red.

i dont know the benefits of adding a red during veg but i do know that blue cfls give off some UV which is definatly beneficial to resins on the flowers =)

Full spec bulbs are the best I veg hps 600 full spec an flower. Plants look great, I set timers on when my house is sleep, when household is up a stirring they r sleep guess run wat u feel is best just regulate stay behind everyone turning off lights unplug shit not in use an do it big hps in my opinion

How many plants are you growing? If its only 1 or 2 plants you will be fine. I'm growing a single white widow under a 200 watt cfl and another 100 watt 5000 k bulb. As long as you can contain the light around your plants while keeping fresh air, the rest is down hill. HPS bulbs are great and so are MH bulbs, but they are hot and expensive. It's really up to you how you set up your environment around your plants.

I always veg with cfl's my I"m recently using a GE 55w 3,500 lum. I have 3 for one plant the are actually t5 hid self ballast only 10 dollars a piece spectrum include 2700k and 6500k.

If i want to grow 4 plants....how many cfl's should I use & what wattage? And can I use this from veg through flower??

Hi there. I only grow using CFL lighting and consistently get around a gram per watt of Dense,Sticky and Stinky buds. I use 10 23w 5000k bulbs for Veg and once they're in bloom I switch to 10 42w 2700k bulbs for flowering.i usually grow 3 nice healthy plants under them but could probably do 5 with no issues. Check out my pics. I get buds bigger than my hand and I'm a bigger guy. Lol

20151116_171650.jpg
20151118_002054.jpg
20151115_174926.png
20151116_171642.jpg

Here is how I figured out how many CFLs to use. Remember that CFLs may be advertised 100 Watts, but the plant only uses 23 Watts of that. This is the draw from the socket, BTW. So use that figure when doing the math. The rest is visible light useful only to us bidpeds.

SO. In veg, you want 30 watts per square foot of closet/tent/cabinet space. I use a mix of Daylight and soft whites, heavy on the Daylights. I go with a dozen (nominal 100 Watters at 23 Watts actual) in a 2' x 4' closet. I clip/mount 6 bulbs over the canopy and 6 bulbs down low to light up the lower branches and to provide penetration into the plant.

In Flower, you want 40 - 45 Watts per square foot, heavy on the soft whites. You can use larger wattage CFL's, if you can get them, or just use a whole lot of "100 watters". I mount them at different levels, too, wherever there is a shadow.

I Use socket doublers, some with reflectors and some without, whatever I have collected since I've been growing. But you can get a bathroom lighting strip and wire a round electric cord to it, and supplement with any arrangement you wish.

Now, for number of plants. It depends on how big they are. I work with 2' x 4' enclosures, so in flower, I only put 3 ladies in 3-1/2 gallon bins, to give the branches plenty of room to grow. In veg, the juveniles will be smaller, as will their pots, so I can place them closer together until they are ready to be up-potted and put to flower.

To keep the heat down, I put the veg on a different shift than the flower. Both are on 12/12, except for a 1 hour on time in the middle of the "night" for veg. The veg schedule is called the Gaslight Schedule, and saves you a chunk of change on your electric bill.

*sigh * so much to think about! As you can infer, I use passive ventilation, with lots of fans to direct airflow in and out of the grow room. Mustn't forget the fans if you're going to give your ladies adequate lighting.

I've been using CFLs too, but everyone keeps telling me I need to switch to HPS because I'm wasting too much power. I get that CFLs are less efficient, but they're working for me. Are HPS bulbs really that much better?

Brother I get at least .7 grams per watt with CFL lights and I've done as well as 1.2 grams per watt at my best. So I'm gonna keep doing what I do. HIS add a Lotta heat too.

Back
Top Bottom