Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Fox Farms Soil - Ocean Forest or Happy Frog

Fox Farms Soil - Ocean Forest or Happy Frog

hey everyone, i'm still learning about soil and reading the bags really didnt help me out. if anyone out there has an opinion on why one of these would be better than the other, i'd really love to hear about it.

i'm confident that both are fine, im just really curious as to the differences.

thanks!

Re: Fox Farms Soil - Ocean Forest or Happy Frog

Fox Farm is used by many soil growers on this site. If I was using soil, I would use the Ocean Forest mixed with 25 percent perliite.
    Plato420 likes this.

Member of the Month 3rd Place Winner (Dec 09') Screwnuts33's Avatar

I am currently using the Ocean Forest with great results. I added pearlite about 20% and 5% vemiculite to mine. Next grow I will likely do about 40% pearlite for better drainage late in the grow. I am not familiar with the Happy Frog. I believe Tiger Balm is currently growing with the HF.

thanks guys, much appreciated

I just started reading up on growing, and was wondering, if I were to use this soil, would I still need to add nutrients later? And if so, how long after starting?

Quote Originally Posted by BizarroStormy View Post
    I just started reading up on growing, and was wondering, if I were to use this soil, would I still need to add nutrients later? And if so, how long after starting?
    i'm by no means an expert here but my last grow was ocean forest and nutes were still needed/added.

im really just curious why Happy Frog is a bit cheaper than the Ocean Forest.

Member of the Month 3rd Place Winner (Dec 09') Screwnuts33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhishyPhil View Post
    i'm by no means an expert here but my last grow was ocean forest and nutes were still needed/added.

im really just curious why Happy Frog is a bit cheaper than the Ocean Forest.
    PP,
    I could be wrong but look at the bag size between Ocean & Frog. I think the Frog is a smaller bag size.

Ocean has plenty of nutes to cover seedlings for the first 2-3 weeks. After that and possibly a little sooner nutes are needed. I used Fox Farm Grow Big for veg and for flower I use Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom, Open Sesame, Beastie Bloomz, and Cha-Ching. Also added molasses and General Hydro Flora-Nectar.

420 Member

I just picked up a bag of happy frog and it's awesome soil. I don't have any experience with ocean forest, but I can say that the happy frog is a very nice airy medium.

FF Happy Frog is a land soil with all the good land stuff like microbes and fungi. FF Ocean Forrest contains similar stuff as Happy Frog but also contains sea fish and crab meal in it minus the beneficials HF claims. Many claim to mix a bag of OF and HF together to get the best of both.
    Tricks likes this.

Oh and then there is the original mix and it contains Norwegian kelp meal. All good soils.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyBuds View Post
    FF Happy Frog is a land soil with all the good land stuff like microbes and fungi. FF Ocean Forrest contains similar stuff as Happy Frog but also contains sea fish and crab meal in it minus the beneficials HF claims. Many claim to mix a bag of OF and HF together to get the best of both.
    thanks for that.

i think after i move i'll try to do 1 in each, and 1 in a 50/50 mix. same strain, same nutes, ill periodically test the ph for differences as well. always fun to extra multiple objectives you can do between start and finish.

You would still use nutes and ferts if you have em, the soil just comes with additives like bat guano, worm castings and all that. It would grow plants just fine on it's own but nutes and ferts will increase yield, potency and many other features. Good luck on your grow.
    The More Medicated The More Dedicated
    My 6 Different Strain Journal:
    http://www.420magazine.com/forums/jo...t-strains.html

Journal #2 - Lemon Kush / Gak-60 / Grunk
    http://www.420magazine.com/forums/jo...k-60-grow.html

This is a super soil, just water only. Substitute any FFOF for the Root Organics. Use the plain soil maybe some perlite to start seed, clones.

This is a Subcool soil recipe.
    This is yet one more Soil Mixing tutorial. This one is going to focus on making a batch in the city while keeping it neat and tidy. First we use a tarp and a sheet of plywood under so the shovel will slide easily as we mix and scoop.

Here is the recipe to make this concentrate!
    You cannot grow plants directly in this super concentrate!

6 Bags Roots soil or equivalent high quality supped up grow soil
    Note**I am trying a new product made by a local company that contains less fir bark called Harvest Moon
    25 pounds Pure Worm Castings
    cup Azomite trace minerals
    2/3 Cup Sweet Lime IE Dolomite
    1 Kilo Bone meal / IE 5 Pounds
    1 Kilo Blood meal ( I use a bit more bone than Blood in this recipe)
    1 Kilo Bat Guano bloom formula preferably Fruit bats
    3/4 cup Epson Salts
    The Perlite and Coco I happen to have and it will make a better mix but it is not necessary.

First we take the tarp and the Lucky rug and lift the edges to form a 2 sided pan.
    So now we put on the muck boots these help me kick the soil around and get it mixed up well.

So lets make a nice pile of Roots soil.
    We layer the ingredients so they can be mixed well.
    Now we put our backs into it and mix like crazy
    I alternate cans untill the pile is gone.
    So we add water and let it cook in the sunshine. 30 days is best for this concentrate and it can be used to condition soil as detailed in the soil 101 thread. Do Not Put Clones or Seeds in this mix!

I will use this for a full year just adding like 30-50% in the lower potion of the container and plain roots in top portion. As the concentrate gets older I can use more. To re use I just recondition.

It's a great mix. It can be portioned out also, so it can be made with one bag, and 1/6 of everything else.

interesting ^^

maybe i'll just have to give it a try and see what happens

Blog Entries

I use FF ocean forest and perlite about 3:2 mix and it works GREAT

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast