Grow tent

420rules

Does anyone know which grow tent is the best to grow in and where to buy them cheapest? I heard grow tent kill your plants is that true?

Thanks in advance

OK! First, welcome to the forums! :welcome:

1. Do they kill your plants?? No. That did happen with some tents a while back that were from Hydro Hut. See the info at the bottom of this post for more info on that. It was was a form of plastic sheeting that outgassed -- it released toxic gases into the air. So, those particular tents from one manufacturer really were killing plants left and right, but that does not condem the entire industry.

2. On the outside, look for canvas -- it'll be made with a synethic thread but it'll be strong and non-toxic. It should say in the product info somewhere that it is non-toxic. Of course, that does not mean it is, but it's a good place to start. Inside, look for mylar. Not white anything -- mylar and only mylar. Some tents are using white plastic on the inside which is not as reflective as mylar. Now, the mylar in a cheap tent is not going to be 6 mil super duper stuff, but it will work fine. I've never seen a tent with foylon, but that's about the only material that reflects more light than mylar.

3. Cheap? Ebay. I love eBay. Just search for grow tents, you'll get a ton of listings. Read! Research! Look at all the options, and decide what is best for you. Don't forget -- people are making a profit off of your final purchase price, so you really do get what you pay for.

4. Size matters. If the tent is only 5 feet high, you get 5 feet - not an inch more. Most lights need a foot or two to hang, so there goes some of your vertical space right there. Huge tents are tempting, but... venting them will be a lot more work for your fan(s) and the reflective properties of the mylar will not be so useful. If you pop a 1K watt HPS in there, mylar or not you'll have tons of lumens, and tons of waste heat to vent. On the other side, smaller footprints equal less grow room equals less ladies per tent.

5. Research. Nothing else can substitute for figuring out what people are offering for sale, what features are available, and most importantly figuring out what what it is you want to achieve.

Oh... and good luck!!

Info on HH's little disaster:

Open Letter from HydroHut to the public

In the last several months, HydroHut has been made aware of and pursued a problem with some of its Huts causing a peculiar plant yellowing leading to plant whitening in certain, sensitive plants. While the issue did not arise in all plants, or all Huts, the existence of a problem was not conducive to our product's mission.

After several months of extensive testing, false positives and much interaction with the public regarding this matter, we have found an EPA approved compound that isn't stable in our plastic and that causes extreme stress to certain sensitive plants. In the future, this compound will be removed during manufacture.

Our focus has been directed at how to remove this compound from the plastic and to do so in a way that we could retroactively repair any HydroHut already in the field. As of February 2008, HydroHut will be repairing any affected HydroHuts at its facility. The exact process by which we repair the HydroHuts is extensive and proprietary and it will be carried out by a trainedstaff at our locations.

We fully understand that this situation with our product has adversely affected many clients. For this reason, we are standing behind our product and are offering anyone who has been affected a way to have his/her HydroHut repaired free of charge.

Any client, be they end user or store, can arrange to have his HydroHut shipped back to our Los Angeles facility for processing, free of charge. The HydroHut will then be shipped back to the client free of charge.

All inquiries for HydroHut processing should be directed to hydrohuts@gmail.com with no exceptions.

Please provide the following details in the email:

etc, etc...

Evan Townsley
Managing Director

Further info:

HydroHuts encountered a toxic plastic issue related to some plants in their tents. The manufacturers have refused to come clean with what they did in China and asking them again for months led to no divulging of the truth. As we knew that the same machine manufactured for many brands, we assumed that other brands would come forth and admit a problem as we did, but that was not the case.

Tracking down the culprit did take several months. The culprit has been sought before, 3 times to be exact but most of those years were pre-internet days and the word did not get passed around. Let us hope that our disaster and bad fortune will now lead to everyone knowing what to look for if these toxic plant symptoms ever reappear around the world.

We at HydroHut have been well bashed for incurring this problem and unknowingly passing it on. It appeared in our product two years after we began selling our HydroHuts so definitely something was changed behind our backs, but we took responsibility.

Our recall ran most of 2008 and included arranging credit for those clients affected who returned their HydroHut to the authorized store of purchase. The recall finished on December 31, 2008. We are now selling a new, non-toxic and much improved HydroHut.

Following please find a letter with a link to the actual problem and how it was studied at 3 different points in the second half of the last century and several other links talking about the plasticizer/phthalate issue itself and those effects on plants and humans as they differ greatly.

HydroHuts USA

Oooops. I wonder how many people sued? :rollit:

really the worst advice i have ever seen so much so i have to write and say something.

EBAY IS THE WORST PLACE TO BUY A GROW TENT HERE IS WHY.

1. MANY GROW TENT MANUFACTURERS CHOOSE NOT TO LET THEIR PRODUCTS BE PLACED ON EBAY AND ALTHOUGH HARD FOR THEM TO CHECK THIS IF THEY CALL UP FOR STOCK ITS A CASE OF "OH SORRY WE ARE OUT OF STOCK ON THE SIZES YOU WANT" (THEY DO NOT GET TOLD DIRECTLY THEY CANNOT SELL ON EBAY JUST TOLD TO KEEP THE PRICE AT A SENSIBLE MARGIN.
2. BECAUSE THE SMALLER SUPPLIERS FROM CHINA SUPPLY THE FAULTY GROW TENTS TO TRADING COMPANIES WHO SELL THEM TO THE PEOPLE WHO SELL ON EBAY. SOME FACTORY SELL POORER QUALITY AND SELL DIRECTLY TO THE EBAYERS.
3. BECAUSE THE FEEDBACK SCORES MEAN NOTHING AS THE REVIEWS ARE PLACED SOON AFTER THE GOODS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED AND SOME PEOPLE WOULD NOT KNOW A GOOD GROW TENT FROM A BAD ONE.
4. QUALITY SUPPLIERS CANNOT CONSIDER PROMOTING THIS WAY AS THEY PUT TO MUCH INVESTMENT INTO THEIR PRODUCTS TO HAVE THE EBAY BUYERS CHANGE SUPPLIERS FOR 5 CENTS! IMAGINE YOU HAVE FACTORY FULL OF WORKERS (MAYBE 100) AND YOU HAVE TO PAY THEM EVERY MONTH AND YOUR BUYER IS AS FICKLE AS AN EBAY BUYER, THIS WILL CREATE NO STABILITY IN YOUR FACTORY WORKERS AND QUALITY WILL DROP.
5. IF YOU WANT A QUALITY GROW TENT GO TO A FEW GROW SHOPS AND GET SOME IDEA OF WHAT MAKES A GOOD GROW TENT, YOU WILL SOON FIND THAT EBAY IS NOT ONLY A WAY FOR THEM TO SELL THEIR POORER QUALITY STOCK IT IS ALSO A GOOD POINT TO SHOW WHAT NOT TO BUY.
6. EBAY IS FOR CHEAPSKATES WHO DO NOT KNOW QUALITY, MOST OF THE GROW TENTS ARE MADE IN CHINA SURE BUT THERE ARE SOME FACTORIES THAT ARE OVERSEEN BY WESTERNERS SO THE QUALITY IS BETTER FROM THEM AS THEY KNOW WHAT THE MARKET REALLY NEEDS.
7. THE ADHESIVE IN THE TENTS ON EBAY CAN OFTEN KILL YOUR CROPS.
8. THE POLES MAYBE BIGGER ON SOME THAN OTHERS BUT WHAT ABOUT THE THICKNESS OF THE POLES. SAY ONE SAYS A POLE IS 16MM AND THE OTHER IS 19MM WHICH WILL YOU BUY, MAYBE YOU BUY THE 19MM AS THIS WOULD SEEM LOGICAL BUT THE THICKNESS OF THE 19MM MAYBE LESS THAN THE 16MM MAKING IT WEAKER.
9. THERE ARE CORNERS AND THERE ARE CORNERS. PLASTIC CORNERS CAN BE MADE IN DIFFERENT MATERIALS. POLYPROPYLENE, PVC, VINYL ETC BUT EVEN IN THESE THERE IS VIRGIN PLASTIC AND MIXED UP STUFF THAT CAN WEAKEN AND IF YOU BUY METAL CORNERS HOW WELL ARE THEY WELDED? SO AS YOU CAN SEE THERE IS FAR MORE TO A GROW TENT THAN STATED HERE.
IF YOU WANT TO BUY A QUALITY TENT IN UK LOOK AT THE FOLLOWING BRANDS IN THIS ORDER OF PREFERENCE DUE TO VALUE FOR MONEY.
1. TROJAN TENTS - EVEN HAVE HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE! CRAZY CHEAP PRICE FOR THE LEVEL OF QUALITY.
2. BLOOMROOM - RESPECTED BRAND NAME AND A GOOD QUALITY TENT
3. GREEN ROOM - A GOOD TENT WITH SOLID FRAME
4. GREEN CUBE - NOT AS GOOD VALUE AS TROJAN TENTS AND BLOOMROOM AND SIMILAR BUT WELL MADE.
5. HYDROLAB - NOT AS WELL CONSTRUCTED AS THE ABOVE AND ABOUT THE SAME PRICE.
6. GORILLA TENT - THE PRICE IS EXTREMELY HIGH AND THE TENT IS COMPLETE OVERKILL, HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE (like Trojan) BUT NOT AS EASY TO ADJUST DUE TO THE IMMENSE WEIGHT OF THE MATERIAL, NOT ONE SUPPLIER THAT I KNOW OF USES ANYTHING THICKER THAN 600 DENIER MATERIAL, SOME USE LESS THAN 190 DENIER, GORILLA USE 1680 DENIER. CAN YOU LIFT IT, MAYBE BUT IS IT NECESSARY, SIMPLE ANSWER....... NO! Buying one of these shows little common sense.
7. LIGHTHOUSE - A LITTLE PRICEY AND THE STARTING RANGE A LITTLE LOW IN QUALITY.
Some feel that the white internal reflective on a grow tent is better i personally feel it makes very little difference and know of experienced growers who have bought them and gone back to the silver reflective material. None of the above use the white internal reflective material.
YOU MAY NOTICE I HAVE NOT INCLUDED SECRET JARDIN IN THE ABOVE THIS IS BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN WELL ECLIPSED IN THE MARKET, THERE TENTS DO NOT STACK UP FOR VALUE FOR MONEY, THEY JUST HAVE NOT MOVED WITH THE TIMES. THEY HAVE BEEN LONG IN THE MARKET MAKING THE PRODUCT SO THE NAME IS MORE RECOGNISED,THEY DO HAVE GOOD LIGHT PROOFING AND STRONGER PLASTIC CORNERS BUT THE SUPPORT BARS FOR THE LIGHTING ARE NOT SO GOOD AND THE OUTER MATERIAL IS TO THIN.
I HAVE STUDIED THESE VERY VERY CLOSELY.

TENT TO AVOID
MAMMOTH - These are made in the old Secret jardin factory and the poles to thin the material to thin especially on the cheaper models, just about the worst tens i have seen, nice catalog though!

FORGET EBAY THE TENTS WILL NOT LAST AND MORE LIKELY FALL DOWN WHEN YOU PUT LIGHTS ON THEM THAT ARE HEAVY. YOU CAN SPEND MAYBE AN EXTRA FEW POUNDS OR DOLLARS AND DO MUCH BETTER WITH THE BETTER FEATURES AND STRENGTH IN A GROW SHOP AND REMEMBER THE ADVISE THEY GIVE YOU ON NUTRIENTS IS WORTH MORE IN THE LONG RUN ANYWAY.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GROW SHOPS AS THEY WORK HARD TO MAKE SMALL MONEY AND ARE THERE TO ASSIST YOU WHEN THE INTERNET CANNOT. THOSE FEW £ OR $ YOU SPEND WILL COME BACK 10 FOLD WHEN YOUR CROP COMES IN. I WOULD HASTEN TO MENTION I AM NOT A GROW SHOP OWNER I JUST SEE HOW HARD THEY WORK AND HOW KNOWLEDGEABLE SOME OF THEM ARE, MANY OF THEM PUSHING THE BOUNDARIES OF HYDROPONICS.

PLEASE ANYONE WHO WANTS TO REVIEW A PRODUCT HERE DO A FEW THINGS. 1. TALK TO THE MAGAZINE SUPPLIERS ADVERTISING DEPT AS THEY KNOW ALL THE NEW AND OLD SUPPLIERS, 2. GO TO YOUR GROW SHOPS AND ASK ABOUT THE LATEST MODELS AND ASK FOR BACK ISSUES DOING REVIEWS ON GROW TENTS. 3. BUY A FEW AND COMPARE.

I am in love with my secret jardin. My DR90 is 3'x3'x7' and has 5 8" ports and 2 4" ports located all over the place. The thing is, every port has an inside and outside adjustable sock, so you can tighten around the venting/coords. This means no light gets in at all!! I think the cheapest website to buy anything is growershouse.com (i hope that's not against the rules) but my local hydro shop is almost twice as expensive. I just purchased a DR120 (4'x4'x8') for under $200. Holding my breath til it gets here! BTW they are located in Arizona and I"m east coast, but their shipping is very cheap. Hope this helps

HTG supply has some decent tents. This is where i should be going to get mine.

My first tent (the Agromax mother keeper) was from HTG also. The tent is pretty good, but the ports in it are a pain to keep light proof. You have to buy extra collars or wrap the venting with tape. I actually have to drape a huge tarp over it every night. Aside from that, it's a solid, well built, and cheap tent. But honestly secret jardin is only a little more and I'm now retiring the Agromax.

so its a great tent but total over kill? i want one because its overkill i want to know that its 120% going to work as advertised every time is this the tent for me? i dont care it cost 700$ if it is the best as in no oder out no light out and zippers anf velcro mylar all the best meterial of the trade the high end not the cheap stuff anf not built at the same place as that hydrohut disaster what are the other 3 brand effeted buy the safe factory. im growing medical basil and i need it to be as safe as can be.toxin free

I have a 4X4 Gorilla Grow Tent purchased for about $400 and free shipping! I love it. It's heavy duty and totally worth the money. It is made of quality materials and manufactured well. The tent is completely light tight. The flood pan liner seems like it would hold back a flood. I am super happy with my Gorilla Grow Tent. Check the tent out in my grows with the links in my signature.

I also have a 2X4 tent purchase for $88 and free shipping! Upon opening the shipping box I was greated with the most disgusting toxic chemical smell. I opened up the tent and set it outside on my patio for about 8 hours to defume it. The smell is gone now completely. The tent is definitely cheap. It would crumble with too much weight. Just unzipping it you can tell it is weak. The ducts and there draw chords are totally cheap. Light leaks through pretty much every seem. Materials and manufacturing of this tent are the lowest quality.

Have to respectfully disagree with your opinion on Gorilla tents. That extra thick fabric is great for noise/odor reduction in places like apartments and basements. As with most things, you get what you pay for and IMO Gorilla is top of the line.

The best grow tents in Australia are the AGH ones, i picked one up dirt cheap while they were on promo, seriously sturdy, easy to assemble and im on my 3rd grow in one, the guy at the shop (agradehydroponics) explained how the mylar was treated etc.. he also told me that many other tents are throw aways and i believe every word of that cos ive had some shit tents! If your in Australia get one of these, im not doing him any favours - i just fuggin dig the guys tents!

How is someone going to bash ebay and then tell you to check out tents that ebay sells! And just because you have never purchased a tent doesnt mean you dont know, or you can't recognize quality. Ive never owned a Benz but i can see for myself that are very nice and dependable machines! Im not going to spend almost $330 on an inferior tent in a shop to support my local grow shop guy who doesn't give the best advice, but the advice that sells his product for twice the price!

BTW I just purchased a 4x4x7 Lighthouse Hydro tent off Ebay and compared to the tents at grow shops, the quality of this tent is far superior and much easier on my pocket. Support your local grow shop?!?!?! What a joke! They sure dont cut me any breaks with the whole store being marked up 2-300%. And yeah I know they got overhead but so do factories so save it. Rant over.

I recently started my 1st grow, i was gonna buy a secret jardin ds120 but went for something smaller and cheaper in the end. I got a black orchid tent from a hydro store here in the uk which had an ebay shop. Its 80x80x160 (cm). It cost me £50 with postage and packaging. I was slightly off put by the low price but ordered it anyway. even though I've not had it long i can say that its a good product. Heavy duty and easy to put together. The zips are a bit stiff at the start but they are heavy duty and no leaks. i have noticed some tiny pin holes that are letting some light out but next to nothing. Overall for the price id say it was a great buy. Theres some pics of it in my grow journal if you want more just holla. I'm not sure where you are and not sure if they are available outside the uk.

Yes I got a 4x8 Apollo horticulture tent on amazon for $150.00 and its nice sturdy has interlocking poles double stitching and it holds its weight I got 2 600 air cooled hoods fan filter ducting cords etc and it could take two more 600 watters and be fin still I recommend it

Back
Top Bottom