iPower Grow Lighting - Any Reviews?

Any2cards

Hello 420,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using the iPower grow lighting supplies and how it compares to the "name brand" stuff. I was looking at their 1000w ballasts/Wing Reflector/Bulb combos. Not interested in the bulb per se but was really wondering how this stuff holds up as the prices are very low in comparison. Is it garbage?

Peace,

Any2

Ok I found a few reviews with a better search. Seems it is a mixed bag of results but the price points are very attractive on this product considering what I want Lumatek 1000w/adjustawings large/Hortilux super HPS is more than double. I am a name brand whore and want quality products with a long proven track record. As much as I want to save on building my area think I will just bite the bullet.

:peace:

Any2

I got a 600 watt a couple months ago and it plugged and played jus' like it should - nary a hint of an issue.

I did some online research, and I think there might have been some common issues with all suppliers before the kinks got worked out of the digital ballasts. I didn't find any recent complaints anywhere.

I have been running 2 400W for over a year now without any problems. Works well for me. I have gotten my money's worth out of them. I have heard of some units being damaged in transit.

I have been running 2 400W for over a year now without any problems. Works well for me. I have gotten my money's worth out of them. I have heard of some units being damaged in transit.
Good to know......I have seen a few transit issues but other than that favorable reviews and the price points are attractive. How they hold up in application is what I am interested in and how results measure up to the higher priced brand name stuff. Just doing my research as I have only grown outdoors. Very enthused about indoor growing and want to give it a whirl.

Thanks,

Any2

I got my 400 set about a week or 2 ago, but need to stick with the CFLs for now. Maybe I should fire it up to make sure everything works before a possible warranty issue arises. Glad I stumbled onto this thread.

1 have the 600watt kit with both bulbs for $156 out the door from Amazon. It is the best choice, no reason to pay more just for the brand or some unneeded features when this one works perfect and does not have that cheap feel. Just get the wattage you need(I should have went with the 400watt instead) and pick the right fixture option that fits your needs.

I am nearing harvest with the ipower 400 in a small space, and though I'm using a modded hood with PC Fan affixed to it, heat is manageable and some of the larger tops have grown as close as 7"-8" away from bulb. I expect harvest will be decent for such a small space (30"x15"x60").

The 600 for 156, if it includes both bulbs, reflector, ballast&wiring, ratchet hangers and a decent timer sounds like the better deal. I think the thing with the ipower was how cheap they are, irregardless of quality. For the new growers, it may be a little difficult on the budget when trying to add wattage and these ipowers can be added into the budget more easily.

Let me say this. These guys are the BEST COMPANY EVER! Replaced everything NO QUESTIONS >>>>>>>
Hello 420,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using the iPower grow lighting supplies and how it compares to the "name brand" stuff. I was looking at their 1000w ballasts/Wing Reflector/Bulb combos. Not interested in the bulb per se but was really wondering how this stuff holds up as the prices are very low in comparison. Is it garbage?

Peace,

Any2

To piggyback on previous comments, I harvested my last grow under the 400 with no issues to the light at all. I have since unmodded and reassembled the 400w to be used strictly for veg with a metal halide. I have also purchased 2 more 600w cool tubes with XL reflector combos. Fantastic deal and I hope the 600s work as good as the 400. as far as I am concerned, the iPower (also got their 440 CFM fan) is where it's at for the grower on a budget, and since I am now used to their prices, I will need a really big bell or whistle on another brand before I buy anything else as the iPower's are serving me very well.

Using an 1000W and 600 watt IPower digital ballast with adjustable level input. Paid $200 and $240 for sealed units for 6 inch vents. Also using Ipower Carbon Filter. So far VERY happy with quality with this brand and love the prices.

I had one of my 2 digital ballasts die after about a year of use, but I feel I got great value for the price. On the other hand, I am personally a huge fan of Raptor hoods and replaced both of my ipower hoods because I get much better yields with the huge spread they have

In my opinion, cheaply made junk. Spend the extra 100$-150$ and get something good. I had a 600w. Was poorly made. It was suppose to fit a 6" inline fan. It only measured 5.73 inches. Even my local hydro store was amused. The ballast itself is very loud. Gets verrrry hot on full power. If you buy cheap Chinese made products that's what you get. It's worth it to wait and buy better quality products. Just my experience.

Bad experience 4 mons in. Last night I went to water my plant in flower. The ballast had flipped the breaker and the reset button popped out. It will not come on at all as soon as I plugged it in it kept flipping the breaker. Emailed the cs email, nothing have been trying to call their cs number all morning, will not go through. This is the 400w digital dimmable ballast. Up till last night, no problems. Except I noticed that when the ballast is on the 100% power level, my grow tent gets too hot (90+degrees) I played around with the intake and exhaust and could never get it to cool down enough to use it at full strength. Although this was during the summer.

I've had nothing but success with both the 400w and three 600w. I housed my ballasts outside my grow area so as to not commingle the air that passed through. Also, I use a small 6" inline duct fan from Home Depot ($45) and the tapered end of that fan slipped right into the cool tube nicely, so perhaps they also are using a different standard. I have 4 iPower lights and so far have 2 successful grows between them all. I will be starting my 3rd grow in a few months and will be using these lights and all original equipment. I have little doubt that better equipment can be had, but for the money, IMO, these cheapos are a great way to get started growing the meds!

As the old saying goes you get what you pay for....most of the reviews i have read online are a mixed bag on ipower....but honestly more bad than good

Back
Top Bottom