Doggett & Simpson Step 1

WildRosebud

A fine grey powder with white spots within it. I mixed it at half suggested ratio in dry soil on 3/6 planters the other 3 instead of mixing it to dry soil I did drench application , saturating this product turns the water black even in tiny amounts. Both methods work great but careful in small planters it will root bound very fast. Saturating the soil with a drench of this will encourage a higher root zone in the pot (the product stays in top and middle layers and forms solid root balls) , mixing in soil seems to race the roots quicker and could cause root bound situations as roots hit bottom and spread out less perhaps a sifter would correct my problem there... 3 plants were started from seed and introduced to D&G #1 from initial planting of germed seeds. In no way have I experienced anything adverse in fact I noticed it encourages root growth and the plants do not stretch during that short phase they get strong fast! The other 3 were severely damaged clones and when I introduced D&G #1 it took them out of nute lock and they became eating machines with tons of new growth! A little of this product goes a long way and I feel very comfortable using it knowing it will not cause issues. :high-five: All about results right?

THANK YOU DOGGETT & SIMPSON! You got a new micro nute fan :love:

This step saves 3 weeks of veg. I am use to 6 weeks of veg time or a week or so more. This stuff makes roots so fast when veg kicks in it is a quick trip. Definitely my fave step.....

I like to share my enthusiasm so pardon me folks.... Looking so forward to next season outdoors to test this line of products out and then the only test left to do after that will be Hydro applications but I will leave that up to a friend of mine. Getting ansy for OG 2014 and the money I will save on meds next year. It is unfortunate I have to resort to somewhat unethical methods but it is in the name of my life and well being so I could care less what "Authority and ignorant" people think. It is about improving our lives in a positive manner and I do not have time to mess about mixing and feeding with complicated nutrients so Growology all the way this year. Be safe all and remember this is your life and with decent discretion you should be able to live it to the fullest. :Namaste:

Tried something a lil different and added a tiny bit of mixed Growology 1 in water and added it to my seed germ plate. The seed quickly made feathery tap root 'fist pump... I love this stuff! It also makes transplanting so much easier also helps in the clone reservoir to promote more root sites. So eager to test this out further on seeds and clones :) I will do a soak in a mild mix of step 1 and see how furious the tap roots become in the paper towel!

Tried something a lil different and added a tiny bit of mixed Growology 1 in water and added it to my seed germ plate. The seed quickly made feathery tap root 'fist pump... I love this stuff! It also makes transplanting so much easier also helps in the clone reservoir to promote more root sites. So eager to test this out further on seeds and clones :) I will do a soak in a mild mix of step 1 and see how furious the tap roots become in the paper towel!
Very interesting, WR! Keep us posted on how it goes!

Seems alright but by observation my soil is not doing that great , I need to get some fresh dirt haha I may have to restart this entire thing :)

Been a few days for M39 sprouts , they are stretching a bit in 3'' pots but color looks decent and they are high fiving. I am assuming these are slow starters compared to what I normally work with... The Hazes I got growing atm are bouncing back from root rot issues and starting to uptake the nitrogen so their color is improving quickly. They are about a foot tall now , I think they are stunted from the previous grow room conditions and change in environment.... Some shock is still present.

Did a inventory on my soil , had to recycle more as I am broke as a joke.... I think I will flush and reuse some dirt from one of my 5 gallon planters , I will use a nutrient meter to determine if they were flushed enough and to ensure new sprouts/clones will not get fried from lingering nutes. I also need to get my gear set up soon :(

Hey here is a Growology grow gallery with some awesome infos directly from D&G

Doggett & Simpson - Growers' Gallery

Growology.JPG

M39 sprouts already need transplanting. I am starting a Jamaican Sugar and 4 Romulan Grapefruit plants as well now just waiting for them to germ. 2 established plants had deeper root rot issues than first observed and one sexed male already I suspect the other to do so as well. This is not exactly a bad thing considering it is the most stress I seen this strain go through and now I know what to expect if they are stressed enough.

24 hours ago 4 Romulan Grapefruit Feminized seeds and 1 Jamaican Sugar seed soaked in coffee filters on a plate. This morning they all had tap roots so I planted them in 3'' pots and watered with 1/4 table spoon to 2 liters of water Growology #1. The ball is rolling now.... If they pop out by tonight I will have to repot by tomorrow night already lol...

Removed the 2 donated plants yesterday from grow room , they popped grapes so I no longer want them.... They suffered from root rot , that was the culprit. I rarely get those issues so it took me by surprise when I cut the rot out but it still got worse (I usually just tossem why waste time?)

The 3 M39 sprouts are doing great! I repotted them to 3 gallon planters yesterday and immediately they perked right up high fiving in all their glory. When I transplanted I used 1/2 tablespoon of DG #1 and 1ML DG #2 to 2 liters of water.

24 hours ago 4 Romulan Grapefruit Feminized seeds and 1 Jamaican Sugar seed soaked in coffee filters on a plate. This morning they all had tap roots so I planted them in 3'' pots and watered with 1/4 table spoon to 2 liters of water Growology #1. The ball is rolling now.... If they pop out by tonight I will have to repot by tomorrow night already lol...

Removed the 2 donated plants yesterday from grow room , they popped grapes so I no longer want them.... They suffered from root rot , that was the culprit. I rarely get those issues so it took me by surprise when I cut the rot out but it still got worse (I usually just tossem why waste time?)

The 3 M39 sprouts are doing great! I repotted them to 3 gallon planters yesterday and immediately they perked right up high fiving in all their glory. When I transplanted I used 1/2 tablespoon of DG #1 and 1ML DG #2 to 2 liters of water.
Hi, WR. I know you're experimenting with mixing Step 1 with water, but I just want to point out that the recommended use for Step 1 is to mix it dry with your soil or soilless medium at a rate of 1 tablespoon of Step 1 per gallon of media (or 1/3 cup of Step 1 per 5-gallon container). Just making sure any readers of this thread who are unfamiliar with Growology know the recommended use!

Hi, WR. I know you're experimenting with mixing Step 1 with water, but I just want to point out that the recommended use for Step 1 is to mix it dry with your soil or soilless medium at a rate of 1 tablespoon of Step 1 per gallon of media (or 1/3 cup of Step 1 per 5-gallon container). Just making sure any readers of this thread who are unfamiliar with Growology know the recommended use!

That totally got by me thanks for pointing that out! Indeed this is experimental but when I repot the others I will make sure to pre mix it in the soil first! Sorry and I hope I did not create any confusion for anyone eh!

Ok this morning I prepped my transplant containers , each has 3 gallons soil mixed with 3 tablespoons of Growology step 1 DRY. I will transplant within 48 hours to allow seedlings to use up a little more moisture and tap roots a little deeper. I can tell the 3 seedlings after a few days were already rootbounding in 3'' containers so I transplanted them pretty darn quick. They adjusted well to the new pots with the saturated WEAK mix. The other 5 sprouts have made root balls already and have not even turned green on starter leaves yet >< I look forward to see how these piggies take to the dry mix.

I have to point out to people why I use wet application of the product. I start in small containers and work with small amounts of soil. Also I am a cheapskate and only like to make tiny batches of stuff at a time. I could have a couple gallons pre made on the side I spose... I will do that from now on.

I was prepared to lose up to half my seedlings but all of them are strong and healthy! I need to transplant today for sure the 5 new seedlings are going to root bound soon. In 3 gallon containers I will mix 3 gallons of medium (Sunshine #4) and mix in 3 Tablespoons of Growology Step #1.

I have a quick question for D&G.... Since this is a transplant would it be safe to add some step #2 at a reduced strength or do you recommend just using step #1 during this phase? I will not transplant till I have a answer lol I want to make these 5 following proper instructions.

Since Step 1 has very little if any nutrients, it will only help the seedlings root development. Once the seedlings have exhausted their reserves, you will need to add Step 2, exactly when depends on the seedlings. However, I'm also interested if a reduced strength application is warranted or if it is okay to start out with Step 2 full strength in a nutrient-free medium. BTW, Sunshine Mix #4 already has mycorrhizae, is there a reason you are adding Step 1 to this medium?

I was prepared to lose up to half my seedlings but all of them are strong and healthy! I need to transplant today for sure the 5 new seedlings are going to root bound soon. In 3 gallon containers I will mix 3 gallons of medium (Sunshine #4) and mix in 3 Tablespoons of Growology Step #1.

I have a quick question for D&G.... Since this is a transplant would it be safe to add some step #2 at a reduced strength or do you recommend just using step #1 during this phase? I will not transplant till I have a answer lol I want to make these 5 following proper instructions.
I think that would be totally fine, WR. Best of luck - keep us posted!

John

Since Step 1 has very little if any nutrients, it will only help the seedlings root development. Once the seedlings have exhausted their reserves, you will need to add Step 2, exactly when depends on the seedlings. However, I'm also interested if a reduced strength application is warranted or if it is okay to start out with Step 2 full strength in a nutrient-free medium. BTW, Sunshine Mix #4 already has mycorrhizae, is there a reason you are adding Step 1 to this medium?

Glad you mentioned this and I should have mentioned.... I am recycling soil that has been used up for a couple grows , it is Sunshine Mix #4 but it has become neutral medium now. It was also purged in case any unwanted pests were dormant in there. I like fresh Sunshine mix I never add anything to it for a couple weeks when I start plants with it. On this batch I never saw any Myco on the ingredients listed on the bag either and if there was any I would not have gotten it also they should have marked it on the bag I saw the email so I checked , that would tick me off if it contained it and was not mentioned in the ingredients! In any case I used some fresh #4 my last grow and added Growology #1 at recommended time and grew some beautiful plants (This soil is not ready for reuse yet , needs to be purged) , perhaps no harm adding extra? Not entirely sure on that one either , now I have stuff to look in to and further research hahaha it never ends ><

Back
Top Bottom