Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: GMO Cannabis Concerns

  1. #1
    420 Member MadMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    284

    GMO Cannabis Concerns

    I was reading this article about the genetic code of Cannabis Indica and Sativa being cracked. I believe this is bad since we have already seen enough abominations with other crops with GMO plants and seeds becoming more abundant than the natural ones (i.e. corn, soy, etc.) The article seems harmless enough but it ignores the reality of pharmaceutical companies and the FDA wanting this info for the wrong reasons.


    "It’s a plant more commonly associated with lava lamps and Pink Floyd than cutting-edge science. But today, a small Marblehead company plans to post online the hundreds of millions of letters of DNA that make up Cannabis sativa in a first step toward truly understanding and enhancing marijuana’s therapeutic potential.

    For years, Kevin McKernan built genome sequencing technologies - powerful tools designed to provide insights into cancer and potential treatments.

    But when desperate friends with cancer forwarded studies of medical marijuana’s use, he became intrigued. Earlier this summer, he founded Medicinal Genomics, a small firm that will partner with pharmaceutical companies to explore compounds made by the plant."

    It’s not what most people would think - or what most stoners might hope. Medicinal Genomics might, for example, use insights from the plant’s genetic blueprint to create a plant that produces more of certain compounds, such as cannabidiol, which shows promise in early cancer studies - and even look at reducing the amount of THC, which gives the plant its psychoactive effects.

    “The genetics were poorly understood,’’ McKernan said.

    The company ultimately plans to sequence more than a dozen Cannabis species. This fall, Medicinal Genomics will launch an iPad app providing access to the data.

    McKernan acknowledged that by making the information public, someone might try to use the genetic code to brew more potent pot. But not him, he swears. He’s only interested in marijuana for its medicinal value.

    “Our goal is to help people,’’ he said.


    Here's one article: Marblehead startup seeks to unlock secrets of cannabis - Boston.com
    Last edited by 420; 08-26-2011 at 10:27 PM.

  2. #2
    420 Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    191

    re: GMO Cannabis Concerns

    I don't think you need to be worried. Big Pharma as a whole spends a shitload of money lobbying against MJ, so it will be awhile before they try to take over the pot business. Its not in their best interest to get behind a product people can easily grow themselves that provides the same benefits as their pills most likely with fewer side effects. Its a bad business model for them.

    Did it mention any names of the pharm companies backing his firm? Sounds like a press release for his Ipad app. He's providing all his DNA sequencing to the public for the price of an Ipad app so its not like its proprietary. I might start to worry if a company like Monsanto was involved. Also there are enough organic growers and seed banks to keep all the natural strains available. From what you posted it sounds like he is trying to help MMJ community with his biotech background.

    What exactly concerns you about his work? Maybe Im missing something.

  3. #3
    420 Member MadMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    284

    re: GMO Cannabis Concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by billmoe93 View Post

    What exactly concerns you about his work? Maybe Im missing something.
    Despite the government’s staunch opposition to medical cannabis farms in Oakland and elsewhere, the feds began licensing a whole lot of large legal pot grows throughout the country. But this weed is not for cannabis dispensaries and their patients; it’s for Big Pharma. Eventually Monsanto will have all the genetic cannabis info to further violate nature and the people's health who appreciate it. Like they did with corn, soy, wheat, they will do with cannabis; destroy it's natural foundation.

    The fed con game is too obvious to me but influences many people. Marijuana, natural, grown in your backyard: BAD! Marijuana farms, licensed by the feds and operated by the DEA for Big Pharma, and most likely genetically modified in a laboratory: GOOD!

    All these people who jumped on the pro-Prop 19 bandwagon in California were just giving more power to government lackeys and mad scientists who are already controlling our health and food supply for their benefit and our demise. Thank God it didn't pass, but people need to refrain from being duped in the future with political ploys to hand over yet more power to government and their corporate socialism. Many of us see the herb as spiritual and healthful, while the feds and Biotech outfits see $$$. That's my opinion and if anyone knows of a collective aware of the FDA shenanigans, please post it.

  4. #4
    420 Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    191

    re: GMO Cannabis Concerns

    Sources please.

  5. #5
    420 Member MadMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    284

    re: GMO Cannabis Concerns

    Truth about GMO: GMOs news and articles

    Monsanto and Prop 19: Monsanto and Propsition 19: GMO Terminator Cannabis | GE Free BC

    Those are just a few. You can do your own research and come to your own conclusions. Nature provides us with all we need. No GMO for me.

  6. #6
    420 Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    191

    re: GMO Cannabis Concerns

    I was more wanting your source for these "whole lot of" federal licensed pot farms you are speaking of. Not just the one at the university in Mississippi. I dont understand how the DEA would need paperwork from the FBI to grow pot for a pharmaceutical company as you stated.

    If I am not mistaken the Monsanto article you provided was written by a 19 year old kid. I applaud his enthusiasm, I just wish he was more professional when writing it. A lot of the connections he makes are a stretch to say the least. Some of his claims are outright ridiculous and have no base. He seems to have a lack of understanding of how business, biotech and law works.

    I distrust Monsanto as much anyone else who knows about some of their practices. However the idea that the legalization of marijuana in California would of led to Monsanto holding a monopoly on the strains grown here is outrageous. From his Monsanto article.

    One has to wonder, if Monsanto’s Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Proposition passes in California this November, where are the strains going to come from to provide for the “statewide regulatory and commercial industry” called for in the initiative? In the initiative, the only legal Cannabis strains protected by law, are those derived from licensed dealers. If this new industry is to be in accordance with federal law, the only legal seeds that can be attained are from corporations that hold DEA permits for Cannabis production and importation into the U.S..
    Even if Prop 19 passed marijuana would have remained illegal at a federal level. So how could it be ran in accordance with federal law. The idea that a publicly traded company would break federal law to operate in California seems a little bit of a stretch as well. Board members would be receiving federal indictments almost immediately.

    If corporations like Monsanto, GW Pharma, Bayer and HortaPharm are allowed to carry out there interests, they will hold the genetic copyrights to all Cannabis strains on the planet.
    This is part of his hard hitting conclusion. How would they hold the rights to every strain? A friend of mine is trying to create new strains as we speak. How would they hold a patent to those strains as well as strains that have been around for years? He fails to mention the Netherlands in his article, like the seed banks there are just going to roll over and give up strains they have been creating and selling legally for years.

    GW Pharma and HortaPharm have stated their intent to engineer Cannabis strains similar to Monsanto’s terminator seed technology.
    He doesn't source a lot of his information either. This statement is one Id really like a source for. A press release, shareholder meeting notes, or official statement.

    Id like to say that even though I am critical of the information provided, I am not against your cause of battling GMOs. I like the idea that there are people watching the transgressions of these companies. However if you want more people to back your cause, especially the non legalization in CA part you are going to have provide acknowledged material and have better thought out statements. Which brings us back to the first article you posted. DNA sequencing and genetic engineering are two different things. This guy sequencing and publicly publishing 12 strains is not the same thing as adding recombinant DNA to an existing strain and trying to patent it.

  7. #7
    420 Member MadMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    284

    re: GMO Cannabis Concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by billmoe93 View Post
    I dont understand how the DEA would need paperwork from the FBI to grow pot for a pharmaceutical company as you stated.
    They don't. Though there is a chain of command in law enforcement, they work together:
    Federal government seeking marijuana growers | The NORML Stash Blog

    DEA Upholds Federal Marijuana Monopoly, Obstructing Privately-Funded FDA Research - Yahoo! News
    WASHINGTON, Aug. 24, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) delivered yet another blow to privately funded medical marijuana research last week, despite the Obama administration's promises to prioritize science over politics when it came to medical marijuana.

    The entire reason private medical marijuana research (this includes private cultivation) is restrained is because government desires to control it. Not some of it. All of it. When you hear the term public sector, it means government controlled. When you hear the term private sector, it means the citizenry. I don't need government authorities telling me what's healthy for me. They don't have a good track record besides.

    Quote Originally Posted by billmoe93 View Post
    If I am not mistaken the Monsanto article you provided was written by a 19 year old kid. I applaud his enthusiasm, I just wish he was more professional when writing it. A lot of the connections he makes are a stretch to say the least. Some of his claims are outright ridiculous and have no base. He seems to have a lack of understanding of how business, biotech and law works.
    Could you verify the Monsanto article was written by a 19 year old man? The reason I say man is because you legally have to be 18 to join the military and make life and death decisions. Government doesn't have to abide by any written law. They make it up as they go along. That's why there's a movement to retain the Constitution despite the government's numerous dismissals of it. That's why there's so much support for candidates like Ron Paul.

    Quote Originally Posted by billmoe93 View Post
    I distrust Monsanto as much anyone else who knows about some of their practices. However the idea that the legalization of marijuana in California would of led to Monsanto holding a monopoly on the strains grown here is outrageous. From his Monsanto article.
    Outrageous? I disagree with your downplay:
    Monsanto dominates seed market - Business - NewsObserver.com
    I'm sure you'll find a way to dismiss that article as well. The reason Prop 19 didn't pass is because people aren't as ignorant as government prefers them to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by billmoe93 View Post
    Even if Prop 19 passed marijuana would have remained illegal at a federal level. So how could it be ran in accordance with federal law. The idea that a publicly traded company would break federal law to operate in California seems a little bit of a stretch as well. Board members would be receiving federal indictments almost immediately.
    The gradual loss of freedom in America didn't happen in one day. The amount of money to be stolen by State government controlling the distribution, taxation, and cultivation of cannabis would most certainly present examples of opportunity to the Federal government. This also paves the way for eventual federally funded operations in the name of "science" to genetically modify yet another natural product we consume, making it unhealthy. Remember, government creates nothing when it comes to the means of production, the citizenry does.

    All states are submissive to the Feds due to the lack of enforcing States Rights. Such is the path of neglecting the Constitution. Legalization sounds good as far as decriminalizing use and cultivation of cannabis. When legalization means government controls the means of production, it takes on a completely different meaning. People should understand what they are asking for when it comes to "legalization". Federal indictments have no backbone against free speech which this forum allows.


    Quote Originally Posted by billmoe93 View Post
    This is part of his hard hitting conclusion. How would they hold the rights to every strain? A friend of mine is trying to create new strains as we speak. How would they hold a patent to those strains as well as strains that have been around for years? He fails to mention the Netherlands in his article, like the seed banks there are just going to roll over and give up strains they have been creating and selling legally for years.
    With most people, money talks. Government buys and renames patents on a regular basis. Some people are gullible enough to give it to them.


    Quote Originally Posted by billmoe93 View Post
    He doesn't source a lot of his information either. This statement is one Id really like a source for. A press release, shareholder meeting notes, or official statement.
    Shareholder meetings often aren't public, so you'd have a difficult time getting the minutes of one, unless of course you are a shareholder. I won't present every fact on a platter for you. You'll have to research some of this yourself. Nobody should take my word as final anyway. If they care, they'll research it for themselves. They will see I'm correct though.

    Quote Originally Posted by billmoe93 View Post
    Id like to say that even though I am critical of the information provided, I am not against your cause of battling GMOs. I like the idea that there are people watching the transgressions of these companies. However if you want more people to back your cause, especially the non legalization in CA part you are going to have provide acknowledged material and have better thought out statements. Which brings us back to the first article you posted. DNA sequencing and genetic engineering are two different things. This guy sequencing and publicly publishing 12 strains is not the same thing as adding recombinant DNA to an existing strain and trying to patent it.
    Once DNA sequencing is revealed, it presents opportunities for some very corrupt elements. I don't need to provide too much more since the evidence speaks for itself. Prop 19 lost because there aren't as many fools voting as the government would prefer. This is not an attempt to be an alarmist. The potential GMO corruption of this plant we appreciate is something to keep an eye on. That was the purpose of this thread. I need not get into the specifics of why GMO products are unhealthy since there is plenty of evidence to support that fact.

  8. #8
    420 Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    191

    re: GMO Cannabis Concerns

    You didn't answer my question. Where are all these pot farms that are licensed or run by the feds and dea who grow the weed for pharmaceutical companies? Where are you getting this information from? Show us where we can find that information please.

    Your answer to 4 companies controlling every strain of a mostly illegal plant on the planet was vague and illogical. I still would like to know how they would accomplish this. Saying money talks is not really an answer.

    In regards to the Monsanto article:
    This investigated report was written and compiled by Conrad Justice Kiczenski. Conrad is 19 years old, lives in Lucerne, California, is an organic gardener, and is the host and producer of Guerrilla Radio on KPFZ 88.1 FM in Lake County.

    Im not going to argue semantics with you over whether he is a kid or man. You really seem to want to air your anti government ideals and that is fine with me.

    The News Observer article is about corn and soybeans it doesn't say anything about marijuana. Its not really relevant other than pointing out that Monsanto is a evil, which we agree upon. Were not talking about corn and soybeans they are not really a good example because of legality issues and diversity differences. You are ignoring the fact that it would be illegal for them to sell marijuana seeds even if Prop 19 passed. Also I was talking about board members of Monsanto not people on this forum.

    There is also two sides to the DNA sequencing information. It can also be used for good but that does not fit well with the message you are trying to convey. If Monsanto has such interest in monopolizing marijuana why didn't they sequence it themselves. Why did this guy have to do it and make an app about it to make a profit?

    You go on these anti establishment tangents but you are not providing any necessary information or evidence to give credence to these pretty large claims you make. I can see this discussion is not really worthwhile because you don't really want to provide evidence, asking us to find evidence for your claims doesn't really make any sense. If you had real credible proof you would probably would have posted it already. Carry on sir.

  9. #9
    420 Member MadMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    284

    re: GMO Cannabis Concerns

    I did answer your questions. You just refuse to comprehend links provided and do your own research.
    Like I said, I can't waste valuable time spoon feeding you all the information available. It would be a waste of my time because you would prefer debating the subject of GMO cannabis (a reality) instead of researching it yourself. Who funds the distribution of GMO products worldwide? Perhaps if you look into that, you'll find the answers. The federal government is what they are; a myriad of organizations whose people don't have the best interest of those they are supposed to represent at heart. Nor do the companies that rely on the subsidies they provide at our expense. Once you realize this, you'll be able to understand by properly deciphering the mainstream media reports you take at their word. Next thing is you'll demand I prove there is a government-media complex.

  10. #10
    420
    420 is offline
    Administrator 420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1993
    Location
    California
    Posts
    59,330

    Re: GMO Cannabis Concerns

    Not if they plan to be the first to corner the market, now would be the perfect time to get a head start. Just look at how Monsanto is taking over the food industry with their genetically modified Corn, Soy, Canola and now they are going for Wheat. They produce these seeds that only deliver one crop, then the plant dies and the seeds they produce are worthless, you have to get more GMO seeds from Monsanto. If they were to apply this technology to Cannabis, it would only be a matter of time before they would successfully cross breed their GMO DNA into every plant world wide. Look at how far they've gone with Soy and Canola. Looks like it might be time for everyone to start stock piling seeds. I'll definitely be watching this thread.
    I don't think you need to be worried. Big Pharma as a whole spends a shitload of money lobbying against MJ, so it will be awhile before they try to take over the pot business. Its not in their best interest to get behind a product people can easily grow themselves that provides the same benefits as their pills most likely with fewer side effects. Its a bad business model for them.

  11. #11
    420 Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    191

    Re: GMO Cannabis Concerns

    Big Pharma is the lobbyist group for the pharmaceutical industry. Monsanto is a agriculture biotech company. Its not really the same thing.

    I worry about Monsanto as much as the next guy. However the source he laid out was a paper written about how legalization of MJ in California was the worst thing for the cannabis movement and it was contrived and backed by Monsanto and its investors to monopolize MJ. Which flies directly against the Mission Statement of this site:
    The 420 Magazine community exists to support the repeal of all Cannabis prohibition laws and penalties throughout the world. Not another person should suffer incarceration or stigma because of these unjust laws.
    The Mission of 420 Magazine is to repeal Cannabis prohibition by promoting international Cannabis awareness to the masses.
    You might want to read the paper and the rest of this guys posts before you go giving credence to his message.

    I dont really want to debate this subject anymore so I will leave you with this. One guy sequencing the DNA of cannabis is not the same thing as genetically engineering strains. Monsanto a publically traded company would have some legal hoops to jump through before cornering the seed market of cannabis. It wouldn't be that easy regardless of the legal problems. Also if Monsanto had such interest in doing this why didn't they sequence the DNA themselves? Im worried about this issue as well but its not at the level this guy claims it is, its also not at the level where you should be against the legalization of MJ like MadMike wants you to be.

  12. #12
    420 Member MadMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    284

    Re: GMO Cannabis Concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by billmoe93 View Post
    Im worried about this issue as well but its not at the level this guy claims it is, its also not at the level where you should be against the legalization of MJ like MadMike wants you to be.
    The truth is I believe in legalization. That is why I voted against Proposition 19 and for good reason. This proposition stated that it would "allow local governments to regulate these activities, permitted local governments to impose and collect marijuana related fees and taxes, and authorized various criminal and civil penalties."

    The majority didn't buy it and neither did I. Again, it was not about "legalization" it was about more government control. It wasn't about decriminalization, it was about providing more loop holes for oppressive legislation that would restrict use and cultivation by the average citizen, thus putting them in the category of criminals. There was not nearly enough language in that Proposition that allowed the citizenry the protection of their civil liberties. Even if the proposition had passed, the sale of cannabis would have remained illegal under Federal law due to the Controlled Substances Act. I believe in States Rights, not Federal submission. Who is a government lackey to restrict a citizen's right to thrive in the private sector by the supply and demand of a beneficial plant that is nowhere near the danger of alcohol? Perhaps too many forget who is supposed to be working for whom.

    When State politicians start representing the people via the U.S. Constitution, true legalization will happen, but only if the citizenry applies enough pressure first. The tide is turning and people are fed up with the opportunistic destruction of our liberties.

  13. #13
    420 Member MadMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    284

    Re: GMO Cannabis Concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by billmoe93 View Post
    I might start to worry if a company like Monsanto was involved. Also there are enough organic growers and seed banks to keep all the natural strains available.
    Ever heard of cross pollination? That's what Monsanto corn has done to numerous crops. Monsanto will be involved since they monopolize the seed industry.

  14. #14
    420 Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    191

    Re: GMO Cannabis Concerns

    We went from this guy who just finished sequencing the DNA of cannabis to Monsanto monopolizing the market with its genetically engineered monsters. Where is the part where Monsanto decided to research, engineer, produce and illegally sell cannabis seeds? He just finished the sequencing a few weeks ago.

    A few problems with comparing marijuana to corn and soybeans.

    Plant Biology: Corn and Soybeans are monoecious. Cannabis is Dioecious. Ever heard of that? Its a huge difference when growing cannabis is about maturing females that are never pollinated.

    Logistics: Monsanto is just going to illegally grow a bunch of males and collect all the pollen and drop it by air over everyone's crops for years and years across the planet? That takes care of the outdoor but last I checked there are not thousands of indoor soybean and corn grows happening. How will they pollinate these indoor marijuana grows? Nobody is going to notice when their entire crop becomes worthless?

    Legality: Cannabis seeds are illegal. Even if California legalized cannabis, Monsanto would be breaking federal law to operate here. Monsanto is going to invest all the money to research and engineer something they can't even legally sell anywhere? They are going to mail everyone seeds in discreet packages?

    Before you even get to those problems, we have to assume that Monsanto is even in the cannabis business. Which no one has any evidence of yet. Also you think they can just engineer a strain in a couple of weeks and have it ready to go?

    The mental gymnastics someone has to do to connect this guy sequencing DNA and Monsanto being in motion of taking over the cannabis market is pretty spectacular. With that same logic I can say anyone who is a microbiologist is actively pursuing biological weapons. It just doesn't work like that. The assumptions you make are not givens by any means.

  15. #15
    420 Member MadMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    284

    Re: GMO Cannabis Concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by billmoe93 View Post
    The mental gymnastics someone has to do to connect this guy sequencing DNA and Monsanto being in motion of taking over the cannabis market is pretty spectacular. With that same logic I can say anyone who is a microbiologist is actively pursuing biological weapons. It just doesn't work like that. The assumptions you make are not givens by any means.
    No assumptions. Just concerns due to longstanding track records of government operations which subsidize corporations like Monsanto. You accuse me of making assumptions and using scare tactics when the very subject of the thread is titled GMO Cannabis Concerns. The concerns are valid and the wise will pay attention to them. Purists and naturalists will do the work to prevent violating yet another natural product that is perfect in origin. Sort of like the farmers who refuse to use GMO seeds, and the companies they sell to thoughtful enough to label their goods as "GMO Free" . The unwise will dismiss these very real concerns as mental gymnastics.
    420 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast