I saw spider mites and I killed them

RandyL

[video=youtube;BK2uXAZCCFo]
[/video]

Long story short, while doing a big time lollypopping, I saw some spider mites on a few plants. I kicked their asses.

I have used Monterey Garden Insect Spray with Spinosad and Monterey All Natural 3 in 1 Garden Insect Spray to kill spider mites. I add 3-5 drops per gallon of Ivory Liquid Soap as a surfactant to help the spray stick to leaves and stems better. I spray every 3 days alternating the 2 Monterey products for 2 weeks to kill adults and larvae as they hatch. Sierra Natural Sciences also makes 2 products to kill spider mites SNS-217C Concentrate and SNS-209 Systemic Insect Control.

https://sierranaturalscience.com natural pesticides sns-217c

https://sierranaturalscience.com natural pesticides sns-209

Hey, RandyL, Can you kick these spider asses? :rofl:

20141202_053.jpg

20141202_052.jpg

20141202_049-1.jpg

Randy L what did you use to kill them? I have mites for the first time. Has anyone ever used CX Hydroponics Spotless Concentrate to kill mites? What do you recommend?

These f***ing things R resilient and a pain in the ass and almost impossible to get rid of completely....A strong jalapeño/water solution
sprayed on the leaves twice a day worked decently, they were infested pretty badly by the time I started doing this though....
I heard ladybugs R good too, I was gonna use roundup on them as the last resort and then spray them with rain water a couple times a day...

Has anyone used a sulfur vaporizer?

I have a greenhouse and am currently battling mites. I picked up a growers edge vaporizer and sulfur pellets. I hung it above the plants and ran it over night. Was expecting to find a sulfur cloud when I opened it up in the morning, not the case. It had a slight smell of sulfur and the pellets were liquified but it didn't appear to create much vapor or burn through much of the sulfur.

It did have some impact on the mites but didn't wipe them out as expected. I assume I should continue to hit them each night? I also ordered some SNS 217, awaiting its arrival.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks...

Preditory mites are a must i also use a different sort for my chickens they work really well would recommend to anyone with mite trouble
they eat adults and eggs and once there food source ie spidermite runs out they die and do not harm plants or animals:circle-of-love:

Thank you DD,

Probably a little late in the season now but will certainly try that approach in the future. Assume they can be purchased and shipped through the mail?

I used a mild dish soap with water - took the plants outside and gently wiped the under side of the leaves with a soft sponge. Cleaned the indoor room with same soapy solution. Then after each water I sprinkle the top of the soil and stems with diatomaceous earth to prevent mites from climbing up the plant. seems to work for me.

I've tried several products, some are mentioned above but I didn't much luck. Then I bought Mite Rid. I used it according to the instructions and my mite problem has not resurfaced. I gave some to a friend who had a terrible mite problem, they were everywhere. I wouldn't go in his house because I was afraid of taking mites home with me. His problem is now gone. I totally believe in Mite Rid.

I once had a spider mite infestation. Not bad enough to kill my crops, but the thought of smoking spiders as i would be burning up j's is rather unsettling. I have tried countless things from rotating tobacco, chili, garlic, even resorted to toxic malathion.. Those didn't work, in fact it almost like it made them stronger. These guys reproduce so fast that continuously using just one treatment causes them to develop a genetic immunity to things, so its important if you do this that you mix up your treatment - one week chili, one week tobacco, one week neem...

BUT In the end how I finally ditched the mites was first to totally forget about salvaging any large bushy plants I had. They're too resilient. So had to harvest those, smoke mites, eeeew gross. But once i had emptied my inventory to just 1 veg plant left I dropped the temps to around 66-70f so as to slow down their reproductive rate. The more important factor I believe is I would bathe the leaves off on a daily basis with a shower spray (not on full blast though, be careful not to tear up your plant). Spraying the leaves for a good few minutes each day, making sure not to let the water fall into the grow medium, you don't wanna flush your plant, and at the same time you don't want any potential mite eggs or mites to fall back into the pot where they can start a whole new family again once they climb up. Scrub your walls in your grow room down too just in case with some windex or whatever you guys use. Remarkably it only took me two weeks of doing this every day until I had finally noticed that they were actually gone! Finished forever and its been almost a year and not a sign of a mite!

I theorized two things in my conclusion, one was that if you can constantly spray off the spiders and eggs on a day to day basis they would never have time to reproduce. And second by dropping the temperature a bit, even those that were still clinging on now had a slower metabolism and also slowing new eggs for hatching. And since I was spraying them with a shower head day to day, even if i didn't knock off everything the first go, at least the second go would catch any i may have missed.

In my experience I have only tried it with one plant with great success, but who knows It may work on a much larger scale. I hope someone can benefit from this.

You don't have to smoke bugs - and if you don't wash your buds you will. Always. Look up "bud washing" here. Do it.
When you go to the store and buy a bag of apples - do you wash them before you eat them? I do.
When you grow your own apples, do you wash them before you eat them? I do.

When you grow MJ, do you wash it before you eat (or smoke) the buds? I do. I want to wash off all the dead bugs (yea, they're there), and the pesticides, and the dust, and the dog hair, and the human hair, and my wife's sneeze on the huge cola, and ... and ....

In my area mites (and thrips) can not be eradicated. They can only be controlled. And, they are not hard to control.
On Monday of week one spray with Spinosad. On Wednesday spray with Spinosad again.
On Monday of week two spray with Azatrol. On Wednesday spray with Azatrol again.
On Monday of week three spray with Spinosad. On Wednesday spray with Spinosad again.
On Monday of week four spray with Azatrol. On Wednesday spray with Azatrol again.
Get the pattern?
Do this thru the entire grow, up till the week before harvest.

They are easy to control. Give up on the idea of spraying some magic sauce and never having to worry about them again.
Not gunna happen.
It takes constant attention.

~ Auggie ~

you don't need medicine ... just wipe they little butts and put a fresh diaper on em.

Did you see the post I made RIGHT above your post?
A complete Integrated Pest Mgmt program.

~ Auggie ~

I theorized two things in my conclusion, one was that if you can constantly spray off the spiders and eggs on a day to day basis they would never have time to reproduce. And second by dropping the temperature a bit, even those that were still clinging on now had a slower metabolism and also slowing new eggs for hatching. And since I was spraying them with a shower head day to day, even if i didn't knock off everything the first go, at least the second go would catch any i may have missed.

I've blasted them off with water in a hand sprayer. A white shower curtain hung on a wall caught the sprayed off mites. Lightly infested small plants were easy to do and it seemed to eliminate them; lay a leaf against the palm of your hand so it doesn't get push around, then blast away. Larger plants were done the same but it was tedious and required twice daily misting from the main stem out to keep the remaining population in check. My RH was low so I wasn't worried about all the misting leading to mould, and my temps were in the low-mid 70's F dropping to the low 60's F at night which likely helped.

I think that if you can keep them out of the buds, a light infestation isn't going to do any real damage to a plant that is doing well otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom